Typhon price reduction?

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
I noticed Music Direct has the Typhon priced with a $1500 lower price which is huge, especially for Shunyata. Normally indicates a disco'd product.

Is this unit being replaced?

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
I'm pretty sure when the V2 Triton was introduced Caelin said the Typhon wasn't going to be upgraded

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I'm pretty sure when the V2 Triton was introduced Caelin said the Typhon wasn't going to be upgraded

One never says never especially in an industry where this is a boutique product. So not so sure I agree. We shall see

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
The price reduction was months ago.....

GrantS

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2013
The promotion started just 2 months ago and allows us to balance inventory. Few may be aware, but a factory that carries heavy inventory gets taxed on the inventory every year. Caelin is mindful of that. Typhon's are a highly specialized, unique product that happens to be expensive. We don't sell as many of those as we do, say, Triton v2's due to their more narrow use niche. Caelin wanted to balance their numbers before our end of year to approximate the number of Triton's on hand. Also, we are coming out with some lower priced products (Hydra Denali) that are very high performance and have Typhon elements (and outlets) in them, thus the special. The Typhon is not being replaced or going into a v2. The special price on those will be ending very soon.

I hope this clears that issue up.

Best regards,

Grant

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Really?
So your most loyal customers, who bought your most esoteric product just took a $1500 hit on their purchase......balance your inventory at the expense of your best customers????

GrantS

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2013
This is a relatively short term promotion. Our current products have, and hold exceptional re-sale value, so I don't see this as anyone taking a "$1500 hit". There are realities everyone running a business has to contend with and we've maintained a good reputation for offering products at reasoned retail prices.

This was not the only reason for the promotion, but you asked about v2's or the product being discontinued. I answered that they are not being rev'd or discontinued. We are brining new, less expensive products to market that use Typhon's technology, so new product development and release of new products also factor in. I sense that whatever the response or reasoning, you are going to have a problem with it.

Regards,

Grant

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
This is a relatively short term promotion. Our current products have, and hold exceptional re-sale value, so I don't see this as anyone taking a "$1500 hit". There are realities everyone running a business has to contend with and we've maintained a good reputation for offering products at reasoned retail prices.

This was not the only reason for the promotion, but you asked about v2's or the product being discontinued. I answered that they are not being rev'd or discontinued. We are brining new, less expensive products to market that use Typhon's technology, so new product development and release of new products also factor in. I sense that whatever the response or reasoning, you are going to have a problem with it.

Regards,

Grant

Some people are skeptical just for the sake of being skeptical, and always assume the worst.

I think your reasoning is perfectly fine, Grant.

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011

Regards,

Grant

This is the best you've got? Really? You reduced the price $1500. That sets the new, lowered price for the Typhon. Period..... Really bad form here. You can "sense"all you want. The facts speak for themselves..

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Some people are skeptical just for the sake of being skeptical, and always assume the worst.

I think your reasoning is perfectly fine, Grant.

Where is the skepticism here Al? When was the last time or any time where YOU bought something and a short period later it's price was reduced 25% to balance inventory and then you were told it's price will be back to it's starting price in a short while?

Let me guess...you haven't spent any $$ in like forever on your system.......

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I can understand Kingsrule but last week someone started a thread here about an LP that was on sale at eBay brand new and unopened by Barnes and Noble who had found many cases of this record in their warehouse and they wanted to sell them. This member said everyone should buy this as a reference record as it is so good and was selling for $20.89 It was the original pressing for which this member bought a used copy for over $200.

So that would really make his $200 used LP worth very little with respect to a brand new and sealed same original pressing for $20.89

Just saying

Reality is as Grant said the Typhon is a unique and exceptional product that retains value. It might sting to see that but as Grant said this is a limited sale for the reasons stated

GrantS

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2013
This is the best you've got? Really? You reduced the price $1500. That sets the new, lowered price for the Typhon. Period..... Really bad form here. You can "sense"all you want. The facts speak for themselves..

I was replying to your questions with honest answers, not looking for 'the best I can come up with'. Promotions are common in all industries, whether the product is $12, $200 or $25,000. There are legitimate business reasons company's run promotions. I've detailed several of them. I understand, you vehemently disagree. We have run a number of promotions in our 16 years. From my experience, your comment about the promotional price being the new retail is wrong, categorically. Typhon continues to have exceptional re-sale value. It has not dropped $1 on the used market since we began the promotion. Yes. I checked.

I'm in Newport at the trade show. I am at a disadvantage in keeping up with your right to express outrage at our hubris in offering a promotion. I am accessible by e-mail and phone. Do you own a Typhon? Is that a fair question?

A lot of targeting and posturing happens on internet forums because its so easy. PM me, call me and have a real dialogue. I always offer this yet strangely, people that are the most indignant and angry on forums, never call or e-mail. They would rather play the post and reply game. Why is that?

Long ago, I learned the "walk a mile" edict the hard way with regards to judgement of others, personally and professionally. Run a company. Watch a bottom-line, manage inventory and sales, taxes, new products, dealers, distributors all in a small economy of scale, then judge. We are a well known quantity with a 16 year history of providing high-performance products with reasonable retail prices (for high-end) and excellent re-sale value.

You have no information associated with your account and are virtually anonymous. No idea if this vendetta you are playing out is personal or professional, but I've no more time to spare this weekend to play posting games. PM me your number or e-mail if you feel wronged, or have your last word here. I've not the time or energy to keep playing the forum "outing" game.

Regards,

Grant

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Where is the skepticism here Al? When was the last time or any time where YOU bought something and a short period later it's price was reduced 25% to balance inventory and then you were told it's price will be back to it's starting price in a short while?

Let me guess...you haven't spent any $$ in like forever on your system.......

LOL, I recently have. Take a look at my system thread.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
I have 2 Typhons

Sorry Al, I don't know a thing about any of your system's pieces...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing