Tubes vs. Solid State Amps

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Someone is tempting me to get away from solid state amps and get into tube amps - specifically Air Tight ATM-3211s.

My father use to operate tubes, he wouldn’t own a solid state two-channel system. I remember him always fiddling with them. I have some friends that own them. They sound great IMO. Great sound stage and a warmth normally heard in live natural sounding music. And I do enjoy such.

This said, what say you? And if someone does go the way of tubes would you go with Air Tight or ??? (Monos). Budget 80k list. They would be driving Magico M3s. Alon Wolf uses an Octave to drive his speakers - at least he use to, things may have changed now ...

ATM-3211-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
In addition, the Thrax 300B Mono Amps look interesting as well. Perhaps their Libra Pre.

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
Last year I had listened to A5 driven by Octave 80 which produce excellent sound in dealers' room.

Thus I recommend you to try bigger Octave models if you are interested in.

Jadis 200 or 500 would also work well although they produce lot of heat.

I had been tube guy since 2000 using Jadis 200 and later 500 to drive B&W Notilus 801.

I use ss amp to dirve only subwoofer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Audire

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
Somehow tube amp give more lively sound.

Also there is lot of room for tube rollling.

You can tune the sound using different tube.

I have colllected more than 500 vintage tubes and it is going on.

Yesterday I bought 12 Telefuken ECC 82 for my tube pre amp. :)

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: sombunya and Audire

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
Have you considered Absolare? By all accounts they've managed to capture the glorious sound of their SET monoblocks in a new hybrid amp:

Last edited:

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Have you considered Absolare? By all accounts they've managed to capture the glorious sound of their SET monoblocks in a new hybrid amp:

Many thanks. This looks very interesting.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
My father use to operate tubes, he wouldn’t own a solid state two-channel system.

Wisdom comes with age.

I d say Convergent , Zanden OCTAVE , the latest ARC amp designs are also great.

For sufficient power/ control Convergent is a relatively safe bet

jep123

VIP/Donor
Dec 23, 2012
Norway
You should check out the Absolare integrated in the Signature version, superb amp and will save you a lot of money. The best from tube and solid state combined.

Good luck.

JP

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Hi, I think you should really find the best match for your pre and speakers. This should dictate what direction you go vs tubes or SS. For an 80k budget you may find a matching pre and amp is better...than an amp alone.

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
Someone is tempting me to get away from solid state amps and get into tube amps - specifically Air Tight ATM-3211s.

My father use to operate tubes, he wouldn’t own a solid state two-channel system. I remember him always fiddling with them. I have some friends that own them. They sound great IMO. Great sound stage and a warmth normally heard in live natural sounding music. And I do enjoy such.

This said, what say you? And if someone does go the way of tubes would you go with Air Tight or ??? (Monos). Budget 80k list. They would be driving Magico M3s. Alon Wolf uses an Octave to drive his speakers - at least he use to, things may have changed now ...
You might also want to take a look at this:

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Hi, I think you should really find the best match for your pre and speakers. This should dictate what direction you go vs tubes or SS. For an 80k budget you may find a matching pre and amp is better...than an amp alone.
Yes, a new pre amp will be added at a later time. Right now the budget will only allow a set of monos.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Yes, a new pre amp will be added at a later time. Right now the budget will only allow a set of monos.

You dont need to spend 80 K to get a SOTA tube combo pre / power
The goal should not be to spend money just for the sake of spending but to spend it wisely.

If you re speakers are easy enough to drive you dont need monos either ,some tube stereo amps are very powerfull

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
If you know dealers around you to let you do home audition, it is the best way to go.

When I listened to A5 driven by Octabe 80, it was slightly underpowered.

M3 need more power than A5.

Thus you had better find tube amp with 150 watts or more.''

Rogue mono blocks are also decent.

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
You dont need to spend 80 K to get a SOTA tube combo pre / power
The goal should not be to spend money just for the sake of spending but to spend it wisely.

If you re speakers are easy enough to drive you dont need monos either ,some tube stereo amps are very powerfull

Thanks for your comments, and I’m sorry that above is the impression you received from my post.

I desire what sounds best for our system. If I can find that in a 10k set of amps, then I‘ll spend 10k. As I stated I have “a max” of 80k list price to spend. I don’t believe I’ll be spending that much, but I may. So I’m beginning at that price point and working my way down.

I have another budget for a pre. I’m going in small steps, one at a time. For instance, when I heard the Vitus I also listened to their pre. While I’m not purchasing another pre yet, I am still getting a taste of a new amp with a pre of the same brand, etc. But a pre is in a separate budget, not his one.

I don’t desire a stereo amp. Every stereo amp I’ve ever heard the sound stage was lacking as compared to the mono version of the same amp. I prefer monos!

Last edited:

DSkip

Industry Expert
Aug 26, 2013
Arlington, TX
www.audiothesis.com
I have the MastersounD PF100 Litz edition monos that can be had for a steal if you want to test the waters. I believe they have been paired with Magico in shows across the pond.

The Thrax monos did some nice things at PAF. They appear to be well engineered products.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland

Aries Cerat Concero 65 signatures
[https://aries-cerat.com/concero-65-signature-product-page/

or Aries Cerat Essentia

would be top choices. Another outside the mainstream choice would be the Amplifon SET 140 monos... very powerful amps... https://www.fidelity-magazine.com/amplifon-set-140/

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Best tube pre/amp i have heard in the last 5 years stella series ångstrom, when you have chance to hear do it pleasse

Or some old audio research gear v 70 tube amp, or solid d 400mk II
both sounds amazing

P.S video show and hear the gear

Last edited:

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
I desire to thank everyone for their replies.

I received some wise advice on this decision. I’ve decided that for my situation of listening like 12 hours a day or so that it would be wiser to stick with solid state amps.

Thanks again.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing