tube amp without speaker cable

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
people must thought mono block amp and with long interconnect cables, but that is not the idea, long interconnect will not improve or even worst. my new idea is separate the power tube and out put transformer, and place the out put transformer close to the speaker using a short wire connect to the speaker,the connection between tube and transformer is high voltage and less current, so the cable can be thin and less signal lose, also react fast. pictures show my project done in year ago 805 transmitting tube SE amp sound perfect, cable run in 800v 100ma, most important thing is safety of the connection plug and socket, but so far so good , with problem free
tony ma

Attachments

• Picture 001..jpg
    Picture 001..jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 553
  • Picture 002..jpg
    Picture 002..jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 1,832
  • Picture 003..jpg
    Picture 003..jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 533
  • Picture 004..jpg
    Picture 004..jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 520

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
people must thought mono block amp and with long interconnect cables, but that is not the idea, long interconnect will not improve or even worst. my new idea is separate the power tube and out put transformer, and place the out put transformer close to the speaker using a short wire connect to the speaker,the connection between tube and transformer is high voltage and less current, so the cable can be thin and less signal lose, also react fast. pictures show my project done in year ago 805 transmitting tube SE amp sound perfect, cable run in 800v 100ma, most important thing is safety of the connection plug and socket, but so far so good , with problem free
tony ma

Looks really awesome!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Dude, you've made my day......twice! Your solutions are so simple I keep on asking myself why the heck nobody ever thought of it before. Cool man!

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
Every speaker cable provide it's own sound,no need to argue at this point, most people knows but don't know how it happen, in my knowledge, i guess low voltage high current throw speaker cables (less 20v in more than 1A on 8 ohm load )will create strong magnetic field depend on the way of construction and the use of material also in long length too, that will interfere the transfer time of different frequency and will shift phases of harmonic frequency and main frequency a little bit ( musical note is one main frequency combine with a lot of harmonic frequency to sound) if some of the harmonic frequency are not in the right timing then sound quality will change, so different construction and material will provide different sound quality, that makes a lot of price levels in the market's products. but the cable in my project, I use the same idea of power station's to send out power over 100kv and reduce to 115/220v in local use, because of long distance that will save for big loose of energy, so do my cable only handle 100ma in 800v on a 6000 ohm load , longer cable will not be a matter, at the same time in SE class A amp, the cable always throw 120ma with no signal, and change when signal in, but speaker cable has nothing whit no signal after signal in then start to throw, that is similar to a class A amp and class B amp's different , so I believe using long high voltage cable and shorting speaker cable will have a better result , high frequency of this amp is OK , out put tube is transmitting tube 805 in positive bias, SE out put 45w, all audio transformers in silver wound and all connecting cables and hook up wire in silver too, every tubes get a power supply of it's own driver is WE300B in put is #26, rectifier tube 3B25x4 5V4Gx2 6Ca4x2, 1 case of main amp 2 cases of out put transformer with 805's power supply, one more case of power supply for 300B and #26, another one for all tube's filament in DC, total 5 cases for one amp, this amp has best sounding that I ever made, I always use ear to check after finish, the measurement is out put watts only
tony ma

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing