Totaldac D1 vs. Wireworld Platinum 7 USB Cable

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
Has anyone had the opportunity to compare these two terrific USB cables?

If so, could you tell me which one you preferred, why, and describe the differences in sound.

Thanks so much,
Ken

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
Since I've owned the Wireworld Platinum Starlight USB cable for over one year and I'm very familiar with its sound, could anyone who owns the Totaldac D1 USB cable chime in and describe the sound they're getting with it?

Thanks,
Ken

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
Any Totaldac D1 USB cable owners out there?

Ken

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
I think the non response might indicate we (myself included) are all Wireworld Platinum Starlight USB users ;)

Steve,

Yup, the WW Platinum Starlight USB cable has been the Alpha Dog for quite awhile. That's why I also own one. I find it to be extremely transparent, detailed, nuanced, fast and with tight bass. I've read some reports that the Totaldac provides a more organic sound and is more relaxed in its treble presentation. This sounds appealing to me. Hoping for some first hand feedback.

All the best,
Ken

MRJAZZ

Industry Expert
Jan 20, 2014
Any Totaldac D1 USB cable owners out there?

Ken
I have the Total Dac usb and really like it, however I have only compared it to the BMC and DH Labs USB. It definitely has a very smooth , organic presentation. I prefered it to both the BMC and the DH Labs.
Cheers....

Jeffy

Apr 27, 2014
Orchard Lake, MI
Ken, the Wireworld wipes the floor with the Curious Cable. The Curious is more foward, the Wireworld is more relaxed. The Wireworld is way more dimensional and throws a bigger sound stage. Jeff

Rufus McDufus

Aug 14, 2013
I haven't heard the Wireworld but have owned a Totaldac for about 6 months or so. Initially from brand new it was unpleasant and I came close to returning it. After a week or so the bad elements disappeared. It's quite a subtle cable, almost a little 'dark'-sounding but generally very transparent and quite 3D in presentation. I'll qualify that by not meaning 'dark' as in lacking treble but almost imbuing a dark quality - lack of sparkle perhaps? Above all I'd just say it's very musical. I enjoy it a lot. It won't give you fireworks but is solid and dependable.

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
Thanks guys for your feedback on the Totaldac USB Cable. I went ahead and ordered one. I should have it in two days. After break-in, we'll see how it measures up to the Wireworld Platinum 7 USB. I've owned 3 difference USB cables and as far as I'm concerned the Wireworld Platinum 7 is the reigning champ until it is unseated. We'll see if the Totaldac is a worthy contender. No offense but I'm not too curious about the Curious USB cable.

Best,
Ken

Last edited:

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Any early impressions?

Thanks guys for your feedback on the Totaldac USB Cable. I went ahead and ordered one. I should have it in two days. After break-in, we'll see how it measures up to the Wireworld Platinum 7 USB. I've owned 3 difference USB cables and as far as I'm concerned the Wireworld Platinum 7 is the reigning champ until it is unseated. We'll see if the Totaldac is a worthy contender. No offense but I'm not too curious about the Curious USB cable.

Best,
Ken

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
Any early impressions?

My Totaldac USB cable has well over 50 hours on it. The improvement in sound quality on my computer audio is significant. Any edginess in the treble that I was previously experiencing with the WW Platinum 7 is gone. I would characterize the Totaldac's sound as smooth, warm, rich, organic and incredibly musical. The soundstage is significantly larger and images are more holographic than the WW. Bass is rounder than the WW but in a very pleasing way. The Totaldac is very transparent with just slightly less detail than the WW. Images tend to be more forward than on the WW but not obtrusively so. There is less need to move forward in my seating position to find the sweet spot. Listening to the Totaldac reminds me of listening to vinyl in a terrific analog system. In my mind, it's a knockout. The Totaldac USB has transformed computer audio through my Mac Mini. It is my new USB cable. My current system is Esoteric K-01X, Soulution 520 preamp and 501 mono amps, and Raidho D3 Version 2 speakers.

Ken

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
I assume the Wireworld and TotalDac cables are assumed to be better than the AQ Diamond or the PAD Ultimate USB?

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
I assume the Wireworld and TotalDac cables are assumed to be better than the AQ Diamond or the PAD Ultimate USB?

I used to own the AQ Diamond before the Wireworld and the Totaldac. In my opinion, both the WW and Totaldac sound significantly better. I have no experience with the PAD Ultimate.

Ken

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
I used to own the AQ Diamond before the Wireworld and the Totaldac. In my opinion, both the WW and Totaldac sound significantly better. I have no experience with the PAD Ultimate.

Ken
THanks Ken. Doing a web refresh over at Computer Audiophile, seemed like it was more system dependent WRT AQ vs WW with AQ getting more votes overall. I have the AQ Diamond btw..

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
THanks Ken. Doing a web refresh over at Computer Audiophile, seemed like it was more system dependent WRT AQ vs WW with AQ getting more votes overall. I have the AQ Diamond btw..

Just doing some late night listening. IMO, the Wireworld remains the transparency champion out of all the USB cables I've tried in my system. But I feel there is a downside. On a good amount of music, not at all poor recordings, the treble can sound somewhat fatiguing. I have found myself wanting to turn the volume down to maximize enjoyment fairly often. With the Totaldac, it is just the opposite. The treble is the least fatiguing I have heard in my system and I want to increase the volume level for further immersion. But I have to give the WW its due, when the treble is unfatiguing, it sounds the best to me. Unfortunately, this isn't very often. I also prefer the soundstage and more holographic imaging of the Totaldac. It might not be a pinpoint as the Wireworld but it envelopes you. With the WW, I always find myself leaning forward in my chair, as the acoustic sweet spot is more nearfield. With the Totaldac, the acoustic sweet spot extends back to my listening position and I can just lean back and enjoy the music.

Ken

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Ken,

Thanks for the detailed and descriptive reviews. I currently have the TotalDac in my setup and after reading your experience with it and the WW I have no interest in changing anything. Treble fatigue can make music listening unenjoyable. I have been there. Your description of the musicality of the TotalDac is exactly what I am hearing too. My previous cable was a Mapleshade Clearlink which was nice, but not anything like the TotalDac.

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
Ken,

Thanks for the detailed and descriptive reviews. I currently have the TotalDac in my setup and after reading your experience with it and the WW I have no interest in changing anything. Treble fatigue can make music listening unenjoyable. I have been there. Your description of the musicality of the TotalDac is exactly what I am hearing too. My previous cable was a Mapleshade Clearlink which was nice, but not anything like the TotalDac.

Glad to hear you're enjoying the Totaldac too. It is a breakthrough product and sounds truly wonderful. This USB cable makes me want to listen to more of everything. I can't get enough of it.

Best,
Ken

pjwd

Jun 22, 2015
Brisbane
That is very interesting - I have had total dac , lightspeed and curious - I found the total dac the most veiled and curious the best of the 3 by quite a margin
Guess it is all system dependant

Cheers,

Phil

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
That is very interesting - I have had total dac , lightspeed and curious - I found the total dac the most veiled and curious the best of the 3 by quite a margin
Guess it is all system dependant

Cheers,

Phil

Phil,

Jeffy in post #8 seems to prefer the WW Platinum 7 by a large margin over the Curious Cable, so I agree with you that it must be system dependent or a matter of personal taste.

Cheers,
Ken

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing