GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Digital Signal Processing

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Assuming there is a phase control on your sub, play a test tone through the whole system at the Xover frequency and adjust for maximum volume, or alternatively wire the sub out-of-phase and repeat the procedure looking for the lowest volume (which many people may find easier to perceive)

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Assuming there is a phase control on your sub, play a test tone through the whole system at the Xover frequency and adjust for maximum volume, or alternatively wire the sub out-of-phase and repeat the procedure looking for the lowest volume (which many people may find easier to perceive)

That would give you phase alignment, not time alignment, no?

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Digital Signal Processing

Only if applied on all channels (which is usually not the case). Most folks insert a DSP box just to tame their subs, getting worse time alignment because they usually involve an A/D/A conversion, introducing delay for the subs.

mojave

Oct 29, 2010
Elkhorn, NE
If located the same distance as the mains and with a crossover around 80 Hz, a sealed sub typically needs about 2-5 ms of delay, ported subs 5+ ms depending on port length, and horn subs 12-15+ ms depending on horn length. I've never seen an instance when the sub needs less delay than the mains unless the sub is located a lot closer to the listener. Typically one can move the subs further from the listening position relative to the mains to time align if they don't have DSP.

Just for reference, the Behringer DCX2496 has a latency of 1 ms and the miniDSP has 1.5 ms. If you have passive subs, the newer DSP amps by Peavey, Crest, and Behringer have a latency of less than 1 ms and you can increase it with the delay setting. Active subs with DSP built in will already have some latency.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I'm under the impression that the phase control on sub amps effectively works as a delay, but I don't know that for sure...

jcmusic

May 20, 2010
Just Outside New Orleans, La.
Ok guys a little more info, this is my 2 channel system corner horns dual subs. The subs are about 2 feet closer to the LP than the mains the room is symetrical for the most part does this help?

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
What are you trying to show us?? Do you have a step response for the system?? That's how you are going to see any timing issues. It looks like it is summing well the only I thing I see is your average spl level looks a bit lower below about 150hz.

Rob:)

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
There are some pretty clever ways mentioned that thread if you take a moment to digest it. I especially like John's method mentioned in post #11 of inverting polarity to get the largest dip and then reversing polarity. Of course, there's no perfect way to do it. I am no expert. But I have watched an expert do it properly. It really takes some ability with REW, the right gear and serious patience.

Nyal Mellor

Industry Expert
Jul 14, 2010
SF Bay Area, CA, USA
Everyone integrating a sub into their system should read Barry Ober's page on subs (JL Audio Technical Support): http://soundoctor.com/whitepapers/subs.htm

The phase control on the sub just adds delay, and most of the time you actually need to delay the mains, not the subs.

There are some subs available that have internal DSP where you can delay the high pass output: Revel's new ones using the LFO software and Triad's. Or you can use a digital crossover such as a DEQX, Trinnov or pro audio unit. Or you can do all the crossover inside a computer and feed a multichannel DAC like an ExaSound.

The easiest way to integrate subs is just to play with delay until you get flattest response. It might take you some time to get there and you will never know if it is properly integrated (for example you may have just added a full cycle of delay to subs or mains and gotten a good SPL trace but the two are not in time alignment). The proper way to do it requires looking at the time domain. I look at impulse response and phase; it's not something that I have seen written down anywhere, and it requires a good understanding of acoustical measurements.

jcmusic

May 20, 2010
Just Outside New Orleans, La.
Thanks for the link and info this is the best info I have ever read on subs and intergration.
Everyone integrating a sub into their system should read Barry Ober's page on subs (JL Audio Technical Support): http://soundoctor.com/whitepapers/subs.htm

The phase control on the sub just adds delay, and most of the time you actually need to delay the mains, not the subs.

There are some subs available that have internal DSP where you can delay the high pass output: Revel's new ones using the LFO software and Triad's. Or you can use a digital crossover such as a DEQX, Trinnov or pro audio unit. Or you can do all the crossover inside a computer and feed a multichannel DAC like an ExaSound.

The easiest way to integrate subs is just to play with delay until you get flattest response. It might take you some time to get there and you will never know if it is properly integrated (for example you may have just added a full cycle of delay to subs or mains and gotten a good SPL trace but the two are not in time alignment). The proper way to do it requires looking at the time domain. I look at impulse response and phase; it's not something that I have seen written down anywhere, and it requires a good understanding of acoustical measurements.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing