This looks interesting.......

Direct Drive

Sep 16, 2020
East Anglia, UK
To be honest I'm not really a belt/thread drive chap. My moniker might be a give away.
Anyway having cruised through numerous threads (no pun intended) on here and couldnt help but notice how enamored chaps are with TecDas, SME, Micro Seiki etc.
Therefore I thought I ought to give this mode of drive more consideration. It is not that I've never had a belt drive, just been a very long time. There is an Aphalson Sonata, boxed, in the attic.
I'm a vintage sort, so a Micro appeals but they are on the rare side. My brother has moved back to the UK from Japan so not so easy. I am actively encouraging him to return!

Anyway I had been considering an offering by our Dutch and German cousins, the Tribute. Somewhat confusing but I think plinth etc, Dutch. Motor, German.

Until I stumbled across .......Purple Haze, or the Purple LP Eater!
Looks very interesting. Obviously a homage to the Micro.

UK made by Acoustat who make well regarded plinths. I will speak to them next week to understand certain elements of the construction, motor etc. Whatever, it looks nice.

Reactions: bonzo75 and Lagonda

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ooh, I'm liking this.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Its all in the details. Looking forward to learning more !

Lee Henley

Feb 21, 2014
England, UK
Ive seen this TT a couple of times at UK shows and managed to get to hear it albeit through headphones at the UK Leamington Spa show in 2019. I cant really comment too much on the sound as for me its always difficult to judge using headphones as I'm not a headphone user but I can comment that the build quality of the TT is very impressive to say the least. The guy was also demonstrating his own tonearm with the TT.

Here is a couple more picture from the Northwest UK show taken in June 2019 showing the different arm boards. When I took these he did not have his new arm in place, unfortunately I don't have any pictures of that arm

Untitled by henleymajor, on Flickr

Untitled by henleymajor, on Flickr

Direct Drive

Sep 16, 2020
East Anglia, UK
Here is a couple more picture from the Northwest UK show taken in June 2019 showing the different arm boards.
Lee many thanks for the additional photos, helpful.
I have been in touch with him, his name being Lee too. The motor is the weak link being an LP12 (Premotec) with a fairly simple "Revoultion" PSU, but I have a plan for that. I hope to visit with Lee after lock down to see for myself.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Looks neat. I would be worried it has to many anti-vibration things built in though.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Thank you for sharing the photos and sharing any information you can get. I am curious about the materials, the motor type, the platter surface and the footers. The handles are also pretty substantial and look convenient, but the screw in lifts for the MS platter seem to work just fine. Any idea about price?

Direct Drive

Sep 16, 2020
East Anglia, UK
Thank you for sharing the photos and sharing any information you can get. I am curious about the materials, the motor type, the platter surface and the footers. The handles are also pretty substantial and look convenient, but the screw in lifts for the MS platter seem to work just fine. Any idea about price?
Peter
Motor is the Linn Premotec and the PSU is the Revolution.
It is constructed of Aluminium and Delrin. Footers are magnetic floating.
Price is £5-£7k depending on platter materials, stands etc.

Evolution Turntable Website

Last edited:
Reactions: PeterA

Lee Henley

Feb 21, 2014
England, UK
Here is the guy's web site with all the information and options available. From what I have seen its a well put together TT however as pointed out the motor is from an LP12 and could be a potential weakness. The guy who builds the speed controller for him is a big LP12 fan and does various mods to LP12 TT's.

Web site for missing link in the UK who does the speed controller for the Acoustand TT

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing