Think I was first person to hear new Magico M3. Impressions...

David Hyman

Oct 18, 2014
Greetings Forumites,

I was down at Magico yesterday picking up a Q-Sub (yes, lucky me), and i guess my timing was really good. Alon Wolf asked me if i'd like to hear the M3 prototype (he kept the lights almost pitch black. the crossover was proprietary and external on a board).

I learned that this new M has a tweeter that exceeds the Q7mkII (can't stop innovation).

Coupled to Soulution 711 monoblocks, Berkeley Dac, and i beleive Vitus preamp, i heard what was up there with the most accurate reproduction of audio in my 30 years of obsession to the hobby. Hard to tell if this exceeds the best because the room and gear is so fantastic (as was the recordings Alon played).

Having heard hundreds of systems, i mostly hear flaws, but in this instance, there was no flaw to point to. Dynamics, imaging, timbre, resolution all in spades. I could have reached out and touched the musicians in front of me. All these Occulus Rift and HTC Vive obsessed VR people don't realize that VR exists today in the audio realm. Alon had built himself a time machine and I got on board.

I'd love to hear the Polymer Audio MKS-X (in my house right now and pretty awesome) in this room and on this gear. My gut tells me the Magico's got it beat.

Cincy2

VIP/Donor
Jun 2, 2016
Tampa, Florida
Thanks for the report David. Mine are due in October and your post is not going to make the wait easy.

Cincy

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
What cables were in use?

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Greetings Forumites,

I learned that this new M has a tweeter that exceeds the Q7mkII (can't stop innovation).

LOL. That must be music to owners ears. ;) Nice opportunity for Q7mkIII coming up

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I believe there will be no Q7 mk 3. I sense M5 and M7 are comming (although thay used to make the M5 in the past, so they may go for M4 or M6 instead).

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
LOL. That must be music to owners ears. ;) Nice opportunity for Q7mkIII coming up

Magico should adopt some other companies strategy releasing new products with inferior drivers to the old ones. That will ensure that existing clients will never be upset ;) :confused:

Last edited:

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
When I was there a month ago, they had Transparent hooked up to the CAT monos and MIT hooked up to the Constellation monos, but no speakers were available. They also had a Kronos Pro TT and a second belt drive, but I can't remember the brand.

Thank you for the update..

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Greetings Forumites,

I was down at Magico yesterday picking up a Q-Sub (yes, lucky me), and i guess my timing was really good. Alon Wolf asked me if i'd like to hear the M3 prototype (he kept the lights almost pitch black. the crossover was proprietary and external on a board).

Coupled to Soulution 711 monoblocks, Berkeley Dac, and i beleive Vitus preamp, i heard what was up there with the most accurate reproduction of audio in my 30 years of obsession to the hobby. Hard to tell if this exceeds the best because the room and gear is so fantastic (as was the recordings Alon played).

Having heard hundreds of systems, i mostly hear flaws, but in this instance, there was no flaw to point to. Dynamics, imaging, timbre, resolution all in spades. I could have reached out and touched the musicians in front of me. All these Occulus Rift and HTC Vive obsessed VR people don't realize that VR exists today in the audio realm. Alon had built himself a time machine and I got on board.

I'd love to hear the Polymer Audio MKS-X (in my house right now and pretty awesome) in this room and on this gear. My gut tells me the Magico's got it beat.

You've been very lucky; first to hear the M-Pros, first to hear the Q7II and now the M3. I want your luck!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing