Thiele TA01 Linear Tracking Tonearm

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Thiele TA01 tonearm​

The Thiele tonearm wants to combine the best of both worlds in terms of rotary and tangential tonearms: with the aim of guiding the pickup system over the record with the least possible tracking error. The tonearm tube consists of two carbon tubes, which are arranged concentrically to each other and the space between them is gel-filled. The tonearm base of the Thiele TA01, on the other hand, is made entirely of aluminum.

Screen Shot 2021-07-16 at 10.27.22 PM.png

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
anyone with first hand listening experience ?

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
Besides it’s advantages like zero tracking error and skating IMHO it has two main disadvantages:
- There are too many moving parts that heavily load the suspension and degrade performance.
- There are too many bearings that impair rigidity.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Besides it’s advantages like zero tracking error and skating IMHO it has two main disadvantages:
- There are too many moving parts that heavily load the suspension and degrade performance.
- There are too many bearings that impair rigidity.
Have you heard the arm?

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
Have you heard the arm?
Unfortunately no, I hope the designer has overcame those disadvantages and improved it’s advantages. Maybe we will get a chance to hear it in Munich.

Here are a couple of videos that I shot of the new Thorens 140th Anniversary, Reference turntable, in both videos Gunther Kürten from Thorens uses the Thiele TA-01 tonearm, which is a beautiful-looking & sounding piece of German engineering.

Fausto Mesolelle - Anima
Charlie Rouse– You Don't Know What Love Is

Gunther Ku?rten.jpg

I was fortunate enough to enjoy Gunther Kürten (Managing Director & Owner of Thorens) as my host during the demo. He chose some terrific music to show off my favourite system at the Munich High End 2023.

BTW, I shot one more video, equally compelling of Lady Blackbird, which I'll upload later.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing