The US government’s recent UFO investigations

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Or is he from the future?

It's people like him who makes us realise that by working all together we're the ones on the top quest of creating a better world in the universe. No need to look far in space, we're in control of our own destiny.

Yeah, that was what I meant by being from another planet; being ahead of its time right here more solid than anyone else on Earth. ...Into a better future.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
The Washington Post is also now jumping into this

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...s-750pm:homepage/story&utm_term=.ff857da09097

Just before leaving his Defense Department job two months ago, intelligence officer Luis Elizondo quietly arranged to secure the release of three of the most unusual videos in the Pentagon’s secret vaults: raw footage from encounters between fighter jets and “anomalous aerial vehicles” — military jargon for UFOs.
The videos, all taken from cockpit cameras, show pilots struggling to lock their radars on oval-shaped vessels that, on screen, look vaguely like giant flying Tic Tacs. The strange aircraft — no claims are made about their possible origins or makeup — appear to hover briefly before sprinting away at speeds that elicit gasps and shouts from the pilots.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Some years ago (2005ish?) letters were written by some very high up ex military that declared we were withholding extraterrestrial technology and are visited regularly by aliens. I would not be surprised if it was true. Also, if aliens have the tech to visit I'd assume they are also much more spiritually advanced and are unlikely to harm us. IMO most humans are barely evolved past the status of being an animal.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...-urges-world-leaders-reveal-secret-files.html

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
To me this looks like a diversion, from what's truly happening on this continent. ...California fires, climate change, ICE cars, bitcoin and abuse of power.
The news media we take what counts and the rest we blow it to the four winds of the globe.
Aliens are worst than bitcoins; might as well go to the movies and see Star Wars: The Last Jedi, and pray that the sound system works.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Some years ago (2005ish?) letters were written by some very high up ex military that declared we were withholding extraterrestrial technology and are visited regularly by aliens. I would not be surprised if it was true. Also, if aliens have the tech to visit I'd assume they are also much more spiritually advanced and are unlikely to harm us. IMO most humans are barely evolved past the status of being an animal.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...-urges-world-leaders-reveal-secret-files.html

We know DailyMail from our time in London. It is perhaps the most suspect source of "news" operating today. We are virtually certain that DailyMail flat out makes things up to draw attention and readership and "click-throughs."

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
We know DailyMail from our time in London. It is perhaps the most suspect source of "news" operating today. We are virtually certain that DailyMail flat out makes things up to draw attention and readership and "click-throughs."

You are welcome to use google yourself. ;) That was just the 1st link that showed up, there are many more sources of information on the topic of Paul Hellyer and many others with military credentials who have written on the topic.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I agree Ron; I've already checked most of the sources from this US/UFO news and that's the reason I said it's a diversion in the wrong direction.
It's like reading that Elvis had a new haircut and he's back @ the Sands in Vegas.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
If the story were a diversion the mainstream media would spike it, not promote it.

You're probably right; the mainstream news media would no publish it. They have a more serious job to do.

I am no UFO enthusiast, and I am almost invariably disbelieving of conspiracy theories, but I have to say I'm finding these videos totally fascinating.

It is fascinating, like Star Wars, like bitcoin, like TV news channels.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Elon Musk is an Alien!, albeit a legal one.

It has been well known that even experienced observers of the sky (commercial pilots, military pilots, even astronauts) can be fooled. Mistaking something that is relatively close for something far away, when there is no known reference point can lead to great errors in estimating size, distance, speed, acceleration etc. A good example is the moon illusion. When the full moon is near the horizon it looks many times larger than it does when it is high in the sky. If you actually measure the true apparent size, the moon is the same size - about 1/2 degree (the same apparent size as the sun, hence total and annular eclipses). I have known about this for 60 years, and taught countless students about it. Nonetheless, when I see the full moon rising near the horizon, it sure looks a lot bigger to me.

Is this investigation worth 20M+? Definitely yes! Especially since the contract went to Harry Reid's buddy. What are friends for?

Larry

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
To me this looks like a diversion, from what's truly happening on this continent. ...California fires, climate change, ICE cars, bitcoin and abuse of power.
The news media we take what counts and the rest we blow it to the four winds of the globe.
Aliens are worst than bitcoins; might as well go to the movies and see Star Wars: The Last Jedi, and pray that the sound system works.
Lol There are big things going on here in the U.S. ,diversion...nah

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

The situation here is the very first one that picques my interest as an adult, given the air force videos, though again, this is nothing more than unexplained phenomena but with very intriguing details, at this point.

The really interesting thing for me is that, despite decades of denials, government investigations resume here and there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
And the probability that they are coming in peace is virtually zero

This is ridiculous propaganda that Steven Hawkings like to claim in order to remain relevant and funded.

There are only a few situations that would make them come at us, not in peace.

1. They have a hive mind. This is imperative if they developed their own tech that allows travel to us. The reason is because no one is going to have any probability of developing the technology to get to us, without having the technology for self sustainability on their own planet. But the one exception to having solved their own problems of sustainability is a hive mind.

2. Another more advanced alien gave them technology prematurely. This allowed warring factions to separate and go explore/colonize. This is highly unlikely for the same reason aliens - presuming they may exist - haven't handed over all their superior technology in an act of benevolence, to humans. It would not be pretty if some had it, and others didn't; or if everyone had, including places like North Korea. These sceneries wouldn't be challenging for a superior tech being to calculate out as an outcome. They would have to be devoid of the concept "right" and "wrong" and completely ignore everything that is human to just plop the tech on us. For them to be that way, it goes back to 1. and precludes 3. Also even being devoid, why hand over tech that could threaten them, to a bunch of hooligans?

3. They are not carbon formed, and simply have zero morality. They play and live in an energy realm and don't view us anymore relevant than a rock in space. So it isn't that they are hostile, but we could be in their wake of toying with electrons and quantum things, etc. In that case they may have no real specific reason to come to us so it isn't a huge worry.

I'm welcome to reasoning of why they would come to rape and pillage, but I've never seen anything substantial enough to make sense. SciFi assumes space travel to distant places is technology that is advanced but relatively crude compared to sustainability. I think we as humans at this point realize that is anything but true...

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
These revelations must be every conspiracy theorist's dream. UFO enthusiasts have always claimed "the government is lying to us about UFOs" and these articles strongly suggest that they were correct!

Please don't conflate believing in the possibility of UFOs and alien life for conspiracy theory.

Conspiracy theory, as it's currently known, is a alt-right propaganda tool used to recruit idiots who can't be bothered to look in the mirror when something happens they don't like. It's characterized by blame-shifting, and eventually, when you get deep enough, the blame is given to the groups of people white nationalists don't like. People like Bannon, Alex Jones, etc are their "leaders". This has absolutely nothing to do with the possibility that alien life exists and has visited Earth.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
The concept of "conspiracy theory" predates the current administration. And your post clearly is a violation of our "no politics" rule.

Nope, it has nothing to do with politics and it certainly predates the current administration... it's been going on for many years, Alex Jones and Bannon were around promoting "conspiracy theory" and hate for a long time now. What I said is simply fact and is what "conspiracy theory" means. It's a definable phenomenon that means you hold specific beliefs promoted by Jones and others.

People often disparage other's ideas by referring to them as "conspiracy theory", which lumps them in with those specific ideas. The possibility of the existence of aliens has nothing to do with conspiracy theory, although I'm sure you can find tons of examples of it being co-opted for all sorts of crazy purposes. I just don't think that labeling people who think aliens may exist as conspiracy theorists is accurate, and it is also disparaging.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
For us to think we are alone is foolish.

Consider the source, two of my favorite sources for quality news and information....not!

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I do not have the slightest idea what you're talking about, but this is another political post which violates our ban on discussing politics.

Here is the American Heritage definition of "conspiracy theory": "A theory seeking to explain a disputed case or matter as a plot by a secret group or alliance rather than an individual or isolated act."

I get you don't understand... ok, but kind of unbelievable as it's extremely relevant these days. When you say conspiracy theory it actually refers to specific theories, that's what just about everyone will think you're talking about and NOT the dictionary definition you posted. If you're not familiar with these theories I'll leave it up to you to research, if you care to. If you bother to look into it will be eye-opening, one way or another. If not keep in mind when you throw around the term it may have a different meaning than what you intend...

And it's not political, at this point I'm not sure you get the distinction between making political statements and topics that are indirectly related. If I made a political statement I want you to explain it. In any case you're the one who brought up "conspiracy theory", even if you were unaware of it's implications.

Pb Blimp

Oct 30, 2017
USA
So now we have a conspiracy theory about conspiracy theories in an alien thread. Great stuff.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
People generally don't "believe" in UFOs until they actually see one. I think that is entirely appropriate.

I have seen them twice. The first time was when I was a around 16 in San Jose when I was in the back seat when we went to watch "Goldfinger" at the San Jose drive in movie theater. It was a bit dusky with the sunset, and I couldn't see the movie very well in the back seat, so I stuck my head out the window and watched airplanes, which were common because of the nearby airport.

I looked up to see a craft flying generally toward the sunset, and I was astounded to see it do a perfect square wave maneuver in the sky. It looked "normal" until it took an abrupt and rapid perfect right angle turn across a section of sky toward the left, then just as abruptly another perfect and rapid right angle turn to proceed along it's regular trajectory at the regular speed, but in the area of the sky transected by the immediate right hand turns. It did this twice more, going back to it's original trajectory, then away again before proceeding toward the dusk and out of sight.

I was gobsmacked, and it really created a brain worm. I didn't think at the time that it was anything other than a military aircraft, and I searched the paper for weeks for news about it. I also couldn't find anything in the library (no internet in those days). It was very frustrating. I would on occassion try to find out info about craft doing such things, but never found any satisfactory answer.

It wasn't until 13 years later that I was perusing paperbacks, and saw one on UFOs and read through it to find the "rapid right angle" behavior described as typical of UFOs, and not vaguely within the capabilities of any human aircraft. I bought the book and read it and have been interested in the topic ever since.

The second time was in 1990 in the Napa Valley. I was round the geysers area around Calistoga, and saw a smooth grey lozenge flying without any noise and at a jet like speed north along the valley. Any aircraft in these areas put up quite a racket because of all the reflections. The lozenge looked to be about the size of a small cub airplane. Apparently, there have been times when these lozenges have been sighted in Napa Valley by quite a few people.

Haven't seen any since, though I always look at the skies with a sense of anticipation that I will see another one, they are pretty freaky to see, and at least in me they created a deep sense of dread. I have seen comets, meteorites, satellites, flaming space wreckage, but nothing else unexplained.

I have no problem with skeptics or non-believers, because that is a rational state of mind for anybody who has not seen these things to disbelieve them.

James Oberg is probably a very useful skeptic because he is so intimately familiar with all of the launchings and sky phenomena, knows geography, satellites, etc. so he is good at reigning in a lot of hysteria over UFOs. He doesn't gaslight much, and really tries to stick to factual events in the vicinity of sightings.

I, of course, avoided saying anything about my own sightings because I didn't want anybody to think I was crazy, but now that I am retired, I don't care.

The government position seems to be that even if these things breach our air space, if they present no immediate discernible threat, that any other information the government has about them is none of the public's business. Europe and Russia pretty much regard UFOs an issue of fact, not speculation, and the American government's continued secrecy and assault on the people who see these things really doesn't have the justifications that it used to, if it ever did.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing