The Ultimate Vinyl Rip

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
I've got 3 Stockfish albums...DSD FLAC files and although I don't have the LPs with which to compare, they do sound amazing..IMHO

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The Stockfisch mastering is great but artificial.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
..well there ya go...what was I thinking?

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
The Stockfisch mastering is great but artificial.

I don't do vinyl, but some of the best sounding recordings I have are vinyl rips to high rez PCM... of course a few are really bad too, but the good ones you can't even tell it's vinyl, it just sounds "right"... a couple of Pink Floyd and Yes albums I have rips of are just great.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Is it capable of reproducing genuine "Symphonic coloration"?

The way I see it is if they get vinyl too precise, they might as well just go with digital. Defeats the whole purpose of vinyl.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014

The way I see it is if they get vinyl too precise, they might as well just go with digital. Defeats the whole purpose of vinyl.

Lol, maybe? I guess it comes down to how much cream do you like in your coffee? I bet they do sound amazing though, a good vinyl rip to high rez can be awesome.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I don't do vinyl, but some of the best sounding recordings I have are vinyl rips to high rez PCM... of course a few are really bad too, but the good ones you can't even tell it's vinyl, it just sounds "right"... a couple of Pink Floyd and Yes albums I have rips of are just great.

Lol, maybe? I guess it comes down to how much cream do you like in your coffee? I bet they do sound amazing though, a good vinyl rip to high rez can be awesome.

Happy New Year to You All!!

You will incur the wrath of analogue die hard with such statements so early in the Year :D.. Even if it is true... Digital can be that transparent ;)

TBone

Nov 15, 2012

During my morning coffee rituals (black, no cream) over the holidays, I often returned to this thread just to watch that video again, and again ... and after repeated viewings ... it still manages to impress, bewilder, and somewhat amuse me, all at the same time. A few notes: the quality of any decent vinyl rip isn't even remotely dependent on any "hi-rez" format, and strictly from an analog playback pov, setting anti-skate in that "conventional" manor is at best inconsistent, and at worse, wrong, this method usually results in too much force, even during highly modulated passages.

But all that said, I'm curious to hear the results.

Detlof

Member Sponsor
Nov 5, 2015

Hi Blizz,
Happy New Year !
Please enlighten me : What are symphonic colorations?
Detlof

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi Blizz,
Happy New Year !
Please enlighten me : What are symphonic colorations?
Detlof

Whenever I type in euphonic on the mobile, it autocorrects to symphonic

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing