The Two Popes - A Masterpiece of Direction, Cinematography, Acting and Story

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
The Two Popes is one of the finest films I have ever seen, if not the best. I melds brilliant cinematography, absolutely superb acting on the parts of Anthony Hopkins and Jonathan Pryce, masterful direction by Fernando Meirelles, absolutely jaw dropping cinematography by César Charlone and a lesson in true friendship of two totally different people who create a common bond that brought tears to my eyes.because of the beauty of entire viewing experience.

From the first scenes the cinematography and direction embue the viewer with a sense of "you are there", the holy grail that us audiophiles seek with our systems. Within in a moment or two I knew that I had to and wanted to give my full attention to this masterpiece because of the incredible images from the Vatican, the clothing and jewelry of the conclave, Sistine Chapel and other Vatican interiors.

I am not Catholic and typically not very interested in the business of religion, but the imagery,, direction, acting and story made this movie front and center in my mind during a time when I am struggling on many fronts, and having trouble getting out my head, something that I use my system for on particularly tough days

My recommendation is do not read the reviews and judge for yourself from the first 5 minutes and know that it only gets better as it progresses. That this is Christmas time and Hannukah combines with the movie to help remind us of brotherhood, kindness and the need to be connected that we should be focused on instead complaining about gift buying and crowds and politics.

Sit back and enjoy this marvel.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Very good acting by the two masters, a delight to watch.
The music score had some sweet passages ...

The decor sets were authentic, luxurious in art history, the floors clean and solid as marble.
The camera style reminiscent of City of God and The Constant Gardener, with moments of slow panning and others more cascaded to express emotions of surprise.
Plus of course the older footage.

Overall the experience was enriching, sumptuously exquisite, engaging from Sir Anthony and Jonathan, two of the best actors. Their interaction was le principal plat de résistance.

Very peaceful and human feeling I felt by the end, which was nicely orchestrated with images segments and music and the soccer game on TV.

The more we learn about those true events the more we understand their importance.
The papal world is not a perfect world, the true believers are closer than their leaders.
And awareness means zero without solid action to protect the children, and help the poor of course.

My score: 8 (out of 10)

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
we watched it yesterday and loved it.

Truly a wonderful story showing the two Popes and their differences

It was humbling to watch Pope Benedict confess to Cardinal Bertoglio about his knowledge of child abuse in the church

The cinematography was magnificent and as good as Anthony Hopkins was in his role as Pope Benedict, the true star of this film was Jonathan Price who was magnificent. He is obviously bilingual as he spoke fluently in Spanish (or was it Portuguese) throughout

The scenes at the end showing the two popes together was fabulous

Definitely worth watching

MRQE only 69% but don't let that fool you

Cast: Jonathan Pryce, Anthony Hopkins, Sidney Cole, Juan Minujín, Federico Torre, Matthew T. Reynolds, María Ucedo, Libero De Rienzo
Director: Fernando Meirelles
Writer: Anthony McCarten
Director Of Photography: César Charlone
Running Time: 125 min.
Synopsis:Frustrated with the direction of the church, Cardinal Bergoglio requests permission to retire in 2012 from Pope Benedict.Instead, facing scandal and self-doubt, the introspective Pope Benedict summons his harshest critic and future successor to Rome to reveal a secret that would shake the foundations of the Catholic Church. Behind Vatican walls, a struggle commences between both tradition and progress, guilt and forgiveness, as these two very different men confront their pasts in order to find common ground and forge a future for a billion followers around the world

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
I watched this movie yesterday, last minute trying to see the major films up for academy awards.

I was raised in the Catholic church so it hit close to home. It was powerful and touching, riveting.

It was an outstanding movie and the acting by two masters was superb.

I watched it on Netflix at home so didn't get the full movie theater experience but it was well crafted.

Reactions: Steve Williams

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing