The (or at least, A) motherlode!

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
Occasionally I read about lucky fellow vinyl nuts who have been fortunate enough to score a fair sized collection of records at a great price. For once, I'm pleased to be the teller of the story, rather than the reader! For a little over a year I've been talking with a local gentleman about his record collection, some 23 boxes full, a great deal of which are audiophile classics. This collection has it's share of early MOFI stuff, a bunch of Sheffield Labs DTD, Lyritas, and so on. Oh, and possibly the crowning glory: four of the earliest boxed sets released by Classic Records: the Brit Set, the S1 series (Box 1 and 2), and another one. Given that the guy is/was an audiophile, all the records are mint--some duplicate copies are still sealed!

I got a good deal, although I paid more than I can afford right now, but it was do or die time. To further sweeten the deal, the gentleman included a Nakamichi Dragon cassette deck for free!

I have a lot of new vinyl to sort through, and I imagine that some of it will go on the selling block to help pay for it. For example, I noticed a UHQR copy of The Beatles' Sergeant Pepper...

More details later, if there's sufficient interest.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Wow Rich...congrats! (This is me trying not to be insanely jealous!! ;))

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Occasionally I read about lucky fellow vinyl nuts who have been fortunate enough to score a fair sized collection of records at a great price. For once, I'm pleased to be the teller of the story, rather than the reader! For a little over a year I've been talking with a local gentleman about his record collection, some 23 boxes full, a great deal of which are audiophile classics. This collection has it's share of early MOFI stuff, a bunch of Sheffield Labs DTD, Lyritas, and so on. Oh, and possibly the crowning glory: four of the earliest boxed sets released by Classic Records: the Brit Set, the S1 series (Box 1 and 2), and another one. Given that the guy is/was an audiophile, all the records are mint--some duplicate copies are still sealed!

I got a good deal, although I paid more than I can afford right now, but it was do or die time. To further sweeten the deal, the gentleman included a Nakamichi Dragon cassette deck for free!

I have a lot of new vinyl to sort through, and I imagine that some of it will go on the selling block to help pay for it. For example, I noticed a UHQR copy of The Beatles' Sergeant Pepper...

How sweet it is! Congratulations Rich! It couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. I love hearing stories like this and hope you find even more treasures in them. And yes, let me know if there is anything you think I might like!

BTW...it's looking real good for a visit in July/August. My BIL has a buddy in Kelowna and they've been talking about him taking a trip. I'll keep you posted.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Rich,

Great to know about your great buy. Forsell owners deserve the best of vinyl! ;)

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
How sweet it is! Congratulations Rich! It couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. I love hearing stories like this and hope you find even more treasures in them. And yes, let me know if there is anything you think I might like!

Thanks, John, I appreciate that! There are a lot of treasures, but also a bunch of stuff I'm not sure I'd care for. But that's OK, as it'll help make the keep/sell decision! There are multiple sealed copies of quite a few records, e.g., two copies of the MFSL Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, several Chesky titles, some Reference Recordings, Sheffield Lab, and so on. I think all of the Beatles' MFSL albums are there, but I haven't looked closely yet.

BTW...it's looking real good for a visit in July/August. My BIL has a buddy in Kelowna and they've been talking about him taking a trip. I'll keep you posted.

Cool! Keep me posted and we'll have to get together! I'll spin you a few records...

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
Thanks for the nice comments, everyone! And don't be too jealous, Jazdoc: there's not much jazz in the collection, alas. About two thirds is classical, the rest be pop(ish). There are some operas in there, though, in numerous boxed sets.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

Put me on your mailing list for the LPs you want to unload Rich :)

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
This is too funny. I get home and my cell rings. I pick it up and notice it's a Private number calling, so I don't answer (I never answer calls from private Numbers). The person leaves me a message, so I check my voicemail.

"Hi, this is (insert name) and I was given your number as I have some records and heard you're always on the lookout for them. Can you call me back."

So now I'm thinking who would have given out my number and I wonder if how many there are and if they're any good. Hmmmm??? This requires a callback!!! I'll keep you posted!

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Congrats! .. it will be interesting to learn where you are going to store all that software :)

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Yeah, Siegfried and so on. About a dozen or 15 boxed sets. I'll probably give 'em a quick spin, but opera isn't really my thing so I suspect they'll be going on the "sell" pile!

Hi Rich, I'm an Opera lover myself. ...I find human voices of powerful emotions at their very best through Opera singers.
My Dad was an Opera lover (men and women; sopranos, tenors, ...); and I guess that I developed my love for Operas from that source first. ...And now I fully feel the vibes; there is simply no better and deeper musical expressions in the world than human voices from the Opera's caliber. ...It is our complete 'classic' history of the most intense life moments.
For me it is anyway.

So yes please, let me know the titles of these box sets, with the artist's names.

Cheers,
Bob

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
So yes please, let me know the titles of these box sets, with the artist's names.

Will do. My plan for most, if not all, of the records with which I am not familiar is to have at least a quick listen to see whether I'm interested in it. Stuff I like I'll keep, rest I'll sell to hopefully recoup at least some of my $$$ (and hopefully put me back on track for hardware upgrades!)...

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Will do. My plan for most, if not all, of the records with which I am not familiar is to have at least a quick listen to see whether I'm interested in it. Stuff I like I'll keep, rest I'll sell to hopefully recoup at least some of my $$$ (and hopefully put me back on track for hardware upgrades!)...

You know that I can provide any and all Alan Parson vinyl a loving home! ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing