The New Graham Floorstander-VOTU-MIRAMA

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I spent the afternoon yesterday at my good friend Philip O'Hanlon's house hearing the very newest and top of the line Graham VOTU MiRaMa. I have heard virtually every iteration of the Graham line that Philip has brought to his house . They all have a very beautiful house sound. Over the past few years and with a lot of feedback from Phil, Graham Audio has captured upon the very element IMO of what makes for a great speaker.and speaks with authority. Hence the birth of a new series called VOTU (for Voice Of The Universe) and specifically the newest top of the line floor standers, The MiRaMa (Mid Range Magic). Those who know Philip will always tell you that his rooms at any audio show will always have the best music as he [ays none of the perennial audiophile tracks. Philip has always been on a quest to find the newest and most original music. Over the past 24 years his annual demo discs are must haves and I am proud to say that I have them all in my digital library. With that being said, Philip has always said that it is the midrange wherein lies most of the music and get that right and you have created magic. Well this new speaker was no small fry as the underlying photos suggest.Plus AFAIK this is the first 2 box speaker Graham Audio has manufactured.I was quite impressed with the build. The one Philip had in his room was light oak and was rock solid and without vibration. We listened to tape all afternoon and Philip had created several tapes of his own favorites. These really were quite spectacular. The purpose of the demo was to show what this big speaker could do. Reading the specs, it states that the MiRaMa will fill a 1000 sq ft room. Anyone who has been to Philip's house knows that his listening room is about the size of two zip codes. The soundstage was quite astonishing as the beauty to singers voices was truly magical and a very you are there experience. The one song that caught my ear that I know very well was "Who Killed Cock Robin" by Greg Brown as well as Kraftwerk's Robots from the Live album Maximum, Minimum. That was for me the defining moment of my experience there yesterday .I could literally feel the weight of the singer's chest These are the type of speakers a hobbyist with a big room will be able to have an amazing aural experience with as well as to have these speakers in a room filled with people who are conversing with one another as it takes only seconds to know these speakers are something special as everyone would stop and listen. Philip has such a room. The speakers had a very significant presence in his huge room but at no time did I feel they were over powering aor dominant. They were just perfect. I believe that Philip is on to something with his mid range magic as he has been making this the theme of his rooms at recent audio shows as well as after hour demos, The speaker was set up perfectly by Philip and even though there are as yet no manual to discuss set up of the upper module, Philip had it dialed in perfectly for me. The sound was open and airy with notes floating into the air . There are apparently 2 more models of this series but the MiRaMa is the largest and looking t each channel my guess is they weighed about 350 pounds per channel. Price[oint is still to be determined based on the hardware and finish you choose. Philip told me somewhere around $70K USD but he won't know for certain until the feet and upper module spikes are produced. With the enormity of this speaker, it is my understanding that it won't always be shown at all audio shows but Philip has developed the perfect solution. He told me that for any one interested he will get them to his house for an audition in his room which really must be seen as well as heard. The accompanying photos will show what I mean when one talks about a large room. Philip also suggested that he has a presale discount on the speaker. There is no finer host than Philip and just to hear his music in his room on these new speakers will be an event not ever to be forgotten.

I include some history on the development of these speakers that I got from Philip

• Love
Reactions: Lee and Scott W

Steve Williams

A Big Beginning: SYSTEM 3D

In 2015, the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden, London commissioned a bespoke passive speaker system from Graham Audio for the augmentation of their live performances. The ROH had a unique criteria: the loudspeaker system needed to faithfully reproduce not only the sound and timbre of the human voice but also the emotional content contained within that performance. Graham Audio turned to Derek Hughes to co-design a four-box, high-resolution speaker system capable of being driven by any amplifier, one that would provide the same continuity of sound and detail as their other speakers, but on a grand scale for the theatre.

During the summer of 2021, for their performance of “The Dante Project”, the ROH mounted the System 3D speakers on gantries, high above the audience, and fired the music up against parabolic reflectors suspended from the ceiling. The sound deflected off the reflectors and bounced down to the audience. The effect was to replicate the sound of angels in heaven, singing overhead. That evening, the audience experienced a mesmerizing slice of heaven.

The design of the SYSTEM 3D necessitated a custom, high-resolution passive crossover network without any digital correction or manipulation, providing the high-resolution speaker system with sufficient power and delicacy to be used on the opera house stage. The four-box SYSTEM 3D loudspeaker used a separate mid-top cabinet, aligned to a twin-bass unit on each side. As it was intended for professional applications, the SYSTEM 3D was finished in black fabric with carrying handles on either side. Its domestic equivalent, called VOTU (Voice of the Universe), was re-engineered to present a different form factor and featured an automotive paint finish.

VOTU - Voice Of The Universe.

Building on the research and development that delivered the bespoke SYSTEM3D - a high-quality professional sound reinforcement loudspeaker system, originally designed for the Royal Opera House in Covent Garden, London - the VOTU builds on this expertise to bring new levels of refinement and authority to the discerning home enthusiast or professional user alike.
The VOTU uses two 10" drivers which cover the bass frequencies and extend up to 800Hz, where a refined 3" soft dome driver takes over, covering the critical midrange region until 4kHz, at which point the high power 34mm soft dome tweeter comes in to play. The midrange dome is mounted above the tweeter to improve the integration between it and the tweeter.

The crossover network uses high-grade capacitors and air core inductors that won't saturate at high power levels. These premium components ensure that harmonic distortion is kept at extremely low levels for maximum preservation of low-level detail.

As with all Graham Audio loudspeakers, the cabinet follows BBC "thin-wall" practice, where careful damping of the relatively thin panels is designed to move all colourations away from the midrange area where we are most sensitive to low-level resonances. The sculpted 3-part front panel and high-gloss lacquered finish will suite both classic and modern interiors.

This flagship system can be used with amplifiers up to 1000 watts per channel, and is capable of breathtaking dynamic performance, while losing nothing of the subtlety and resolution associated with Graham Audio loudspeakers, even when played at very low levels late at night. Truly the best of all worlds!

HiFi+ review of VOTU. https://hifiplus.com/articles/graham-audio-votu-floorstanding-loudspeaker/

Enter Mirama, and Midrange Magic

It was only after Derek Hughes had redesigned the Graham Audio LS5/5 in 2019 with terrific success that the company undertook the Mirama project. The goal was reproducing midrange magic on a grand scale. Oftentimes, loudspeaker designers seem to have overlooked what constitutes the essence of musicality in their quest of delivering greater resolution and vanishingly low distortion. But Graham Audio have not forgotten their legacy of faithfully reproducing the human voice—the very soul of the music—expressed by the critical midrange frequencies.

The Mirama builds on the original VOTU, but with higher power handling and an extended low-frequency range down to 25Hz. The Mirama is a two-cabinet design, the larger of which is a floor-standing, front-ported, 10 cu ft reflex enclosure containing an 18-inch woofer. It is flanked above by a pair of 10-inch woofers handling lower midrange frequencies (25 – 150 Hz +/- 2dB), each employing a vented motor, anodized aluminum cone and shorting ring to reduce distortion. The upper cabinet is a sealed-box design housing a 7-inch upper midrange driver (150 – 20 kHz) and a ribbon tweeter. This cabinet is fitted onto the bass cabinet with rubber feet in recesses to provide accurate positioning of the cabinet, together with reducing acoustic coupling between the two enclosures.

The result is a seamless and coherent loudspeaker system that optimally balances remarkable midrange clarity and resolution, high- and low-frequency extension, with definition that defines the state of the art. When designing a loudspeaker that has both high-power handling and an extended low-frequency response, the radiating area of both the bass driver and the reflex ports is crucial to delivering clean and powerful bass. Here, an 18-inch woofer together with a horizontal front port was chosen as the best solution. This, together with the 10-cu ft cabinet, gives the Mirama a strong and extended bass response, a solid foundation on which to build the rest of the design. The cabinet is internally braced to ensure that any panel resonances are above the bass-to-mid crossover point. The two 10-inch drivers in a sealed compartment are tuned to complement the response of the subwoofer, with both panel and standing wave damping of the style used in the rest of the Graham Audio loudspeaker range.

The crossover network is mounted in the lower cabinet, with upper and lower cabinets connected by a link cable with professional-grade Speakon connectors. The crossovers use high-quality components to complement the drive units. As with all Graham Audio designs, air core inductors are used, which do not suffer at all from the compression and distortion effects associated by any cored inductor. The improved sonic quality of such components more than compensates for the increased cost associated with them. High-quality polypropylene capacitors match the performance of the other components of the system. Each loudspeaker has two pairs of high-grade binding posts, one pair feeding the 18-inch subwoofer and the other feeding the rest of the system. This enables the user to use either a single amplifier to power the entire system, or to bi-amplify the system, using one amplifier for the subwoofer and a separate amplifier for the other drivers.

The furniture-grade enclosures feature fine, genuine wood veneer, oriented so the veneer grain flows between the upper and lower cabinets to give visual unity to the design. The cabinets are constructed using the thin-wall, damped approach that distinguishes every loudspeaker in the Graham Audio range, resulting in low coloration, ensuring that any cabinet resonances are considerably reduced, and the ‘Q’, effectively the length of time the resonances persist, is minimized so as not to impact sound quality. Inherent in any cabinet design, internal standing waves can be radiated both through the cabinet walls and back through the driver cones. Graham Audio uses rock wool to damp out these resonances, the thickness and positioning of which is chosen for maximum effect. The result is a loudspeaker whose sound is coherent, resolving, and emotionally engaging with every musical performance.

The Mirama embraces every sort of music, from a single plucked note on a violin to a thousand-piece orchestra celebrating life with a visceral Mahler crescendo, uplifting the spirit and reproducing sound on a scale rarely experienced in the listening room.

Graham Audio offers floor-standing and stand-mount loudspeakers in a variety of models, sizes, and finishes. The Mirama is the largest—and first—in a series of three new models. Designed to fill a 1,000 sq ft room, it will be followed by a second model, suitable for rooms of 500–600 sq ft, and the smallest, designed for 300–400 sq ft rooms. Regardless of their size, every Graham Audio design shares a voice that expresses the very life of music with its Midrange Magic.

Scott Naylor

Mar 19, 2021
Excellent report, Dr. Williams and informative photos! Thanks

Just one question - grill covers, or is she happy to stand loud and proud like that?

Excellent report, Dr. Williams and informative photos! Thanks

Just one question - grill covers, or is she happy to stand loud and proud like that?
IMG_1516.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: zerostargeneral
  • Love
Reactions: Scott Naylor

Scott Naylor

Mar 19, 2021
The grills are sweet! Thanks, gentleman.

All the best at AXPONA, Mr. O'Hanlon. Good health and great company

Grills are available in black or an off white, depending on the wood finish.
Derek Hughes designed the original System3D for the Opera House in Covent Garden, London, then its domestic equivalent, the VOTU. Now in 2023, comes Derek’s mosr ambitious design yet - the Mirama, an acronym for MidRange Magic.

Steve Williams

I never refuse an invitation from my good friend Philip O'Hanlon because when he says he has something new he wants to show me I always find my way to his house as such was the case a day ago.
Suffice it to say that it has been a while since I heard these speakers last and now that Philip has a few hours on them, yesterday's no exception. Wow listened to vinyl and tape on these big speakers and for the money these speakers are truly mid range magic. They are gigantic In size , with an 18" subwoofer, a ribbon tweeter, a 7" upper mid range woofer and two 10" lower mid range woofers.

For any one wh has a room to accommodate these speakers they should be auditioned. I'm told by Philip that they haven't even hit the market yet pending arrival of new speaker feet as well as new hardware for adjusting the tilt of the upper module however when they do reach the market demos will be done initially solely in Philip's room with Philip , the client and his dealer. Philip's room is something to be seen and heard because here in California one could build an entire house in his listening room as I'm sure it spans two zip codes

Philip was playing vinyl with his large Bergman and the arm had a beautiful cartridge that Philip says is many years old, the Van den Hul Colibri Platinum. The imaging and sound stage with these speakers is amazing

IMG_4019.jpeg

Steve Williams

Upstairs in Philip's den was the original Graham model the 5.9 sitting on its bases and on the floor beside are two subwoofers, beautifully made and about 14" x 14" which had something I have never heard of......a folded horn.Made by LCH Audio. Philip described the setup on this sub is not difficult based (no pun intended) on its technology.IIRC there is an 8" and a 10" version. I heard the 10" version

I must admit that the sound from this system for the price is something that also should be heard. Philip always has a way of finding the best sound at a fraction of what we idiots normally pay. The entire system he played for me came I. at under $20K

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing