The home of Anubis.

Anubis

Apr 27, 2016
Norway
Would like to tell you guys about my system. Is been a long and vinding road to get to this system. Many speakers, amplifiers, dacs, cdplayers has been with me and found to week.

Cash has always been something I have had to think about. To me hifi is a luxus that always will have to play second seat. But after paiing the bills everything lett has gone to hifi equipment and room treatment.

So what is in my system.
I use Jriver mediacenter to play my FLAC files from. I also use its dsp to put in 3 EQ posissions. Then the sound go to my Exasound E18 dac. 8 channel dsd dac. I only use it for 2 channel music. I really should be alle to use it in 4 channel mode. With crossover and delay in Jriver, but my computer does not want to do that. Will be getting a New One soon.

Fron the dac the sound goes to the Monacor dsp 26. This is a pro crossover, and dsp Box. I use it for crossover and delay setting.

The monacor sends the sound to my Bryston 7B SST mono amps and to my Crown xti 4002.

My speakers is Audio Physic Scorpio 25. I have set the crossover at 50hz 18db on them. My subwoofers is DIY Peerless XXLS 12 inch. I use 8 of them. Those play all the way down and i have set lowpass on them to 50hz 6 db. Witch means they play quite far up in frequenzy. Im still testing and Trying out different crossover points and hipass lowpass filter

I use REW and my ears to set ut my system. Rew is a fantastic tool to find the right place for the speakers and for the sweetspot. And also for my DIY absorbers.

Im really into room Acoustic. Since i have my own room in the House, i dont have to please the wife with how things look. But in Trying to make the room ok to be in.

More on that later.

I listen to almost everything. Dont like the new hiphop. But old rap/hip hop is ok. Mainly what I play is rock. Metall and blues. Play guitar myself so my music has lot of guitar in them.

Plans, well Im thinking of getting another Crown xti 4002 so that i can bridge them. Wich give me more headroom for the woofers. New computer is on its way. And if that computer plays along Nice with The Exasound dac. The monacor will be sold. I also have a Belcanto Pre 6 Wich i dont use. I like TJE sound better without, using Jrivers volume control.

All in all really happy with what I have today.

Will post some pictures and write more later
Thanks for looking in.

Anubis

Apr 27, 2016
Norway
I said i use REW for placement of ny speakers and woofers. But also delay and crossover. Normaly I place the speakers, subwoofers and sweetspot where it meassure best. Then I EQ it to a frequenzy respons that fall aprox -5 db from 20hz to 10KHz Then I use my ears to tune the sound to my prefrences.

This is how it meassure.
vannfall ny 45 150hz.jpg
Waterfall. The 50hz humm is my computers power supply. In some meassurements its there and in some its gone.

1459914812443-1895028088.jpg
My EQS
impulse %visning.jpg
The impulse respons.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I may have post it somewhere else..

OMG!!
OMG!!
OMG!!

I am particularly impressed by the impulse response.. is there and DRC/DSP in the entire chain?

Anubis

Apr 27, 2016
Norway
I use a Monacor dsp 26 to time aline subwoofers and speakers. I use eq at 500hz as the higest eq posisjon.

Will take some more pictures of the DIY acusics absorbers I have made.

Have used many many hours in this room to get the sound I Like. Placement placement placement is my rule...

Anubis

Apr 27, 2016
Norway
So a litte more on the room I have this system of mine in.

This is the music room in the house. It my room so the wife dosen't have anything to say about what it looks like. She uses it on her own if Im not in. But we have a small setup in the tv room.

This room of mine. Is 740cm long. 480cm eide and 240cm high.

All speakers subs and sweetspot is placed by the use of rew and my ears. When you play music indoors you will always be in the mercy of the room. So why put the expencive
speakers where they dont sound the best
.?

My room has chatedral ceeling. Witch has it pros and cons. The pros is that the reflections are broken up. And the whole ceeling will work as a hage diffusorer. Since it sends all frequenzys with different directivity. But this is also the biggest con. There is no way to place treatment in the room without meassurements.

DSC_0117.JPG
DSC_0118.JPG

This is my absorber in first reflection point. It goes up bought walls and all the way across the ceeling. It is 200cm eide all over. 30cm deep to the ceeling, where it only is 20cm deep.

This absorber is made from stonewool, called Rockwool here in Scandinavia. It make shure nothing bounces back over aprox 100hz. From any place. This make me listen to Just the sound from the speakers. Witch make them absolutely dissapear in the sound.

Anubis

Apr 27, 2016
Norway
But dosent the music sound lifeless you may think. No it dosent. It did when I used 5cm debth. I used 60cm x 60cm x5cm from Auralex, a whole bunch of them. And the result sounded very lifeless. Thin absorbers will act like an EQ but it will only take down the higher frequenzys.

I used some time on fixsing my 70hz peak. I tryed almost everything. Subs on all the walls. This was before the too towers came in. But nothing happend to it. This is the wave for the length of my room. Strait down the Middle.

I tryed to have to subs on the backwall timedelayed and phase fixed so that the subs would cancle each other out at the 70hz problem. It worked but not as well as I wanted.

So in came the two towers and that helped alot. But still didn't get it to my liking. The 70hz wave was almost gone. But the deep bass kept on ringing for a long time.

What to do. DBA or SBA maybe...

Keept on reading on the WWW on bass trouble. And found out that many used cornertraps in their rooms. So I built 4. One for each corner.

The 2 on the frontwall didn't do anything. but the ones on the backwall helped.

Read some more and diceded to go all in and built a huge and deep basstrap on the backwall.
DSC_0119.jpg
DSC_0120.JPG

The whole wall is now a basstrap.
In the Middle it is 40cm deep. In the corners the trap goes 78cm into the room. This wall suck up all reflections that bounces off the sidewalls and floor. The funny ting is. With that wall up the bass now is really tight and deep. There is no flutter echo.

Im in the prosess of Trying out some diffusors on the backwall and the sidewall to get the sound to go all arround me. By using diffusjon or reflectors.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
But dosent the music sound lifeless you may think. No it dosent. It did when I used 5cm debth. I used 60cm x 60cm x5cm from Auralex, a whole bunch of them. And the result sounded very lifeless. Thin absorbers will act like an EQ but it will only take down the higher frequenzys.

I used some time on fixsing my 70hz peak. I tryed almost everything. Subs on all the walls. This was before the too towers came in. But nothing happend to it. This is the wave for the length of my room. Strait down the Middle.

I tryed to have to subs on the backwall timedelayed and phase fixed so that the subs would cancle each other out at the 70hz problem. It worked but not as well as I wanted.

So in came the two towers and that helped alot. But still didn't get it to my liking. The 70hz wave was almost gone. But the deep bass kept on ringing for a long time.

What to do. DBA or SBA maybe...

Keept on reading on the WWW on bass trouble. And found out that many used cornertraps in their rooms. So I built 4. One for each corner.

The 2 on the frontwall didn't do anything. but the ones on the backwall helped.

Read some more and diceded to go all in and built a huge and deep basstrap on the backwall.
View attachment 26718
View attachment 26719

The whole wall is now a basstrap.
In the Middle it is 40cm deep. In the corners the trap goes 78cm into the room. This wall suck up all reflections that bounces off the sidewalls and floor. The funny ting is. With that wall up the bass now is really tight and deep. There is no flutter echo.

Im in the prosess of Trying out some diffusors on the backwall and the sidewall to get the sound to go all arround me. By using diffusjon or reflectors.

Way to go !

Anubis

Apr 27, 2016
Norway
Well, giving up this hobby. Selling the whole system. I cant find the time to sit down and enjoy this. I also want to use some more time on other things like travel. Have some other dreams I would like to do before I get too old.

So selling the system, and will put together something small but still ok. For the few hours a month I can get into the sweetspot.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Well, giving up this hobby. Selling the whole system. I cant find the time to sit down and enjoy this. I also want to use some more time on other things like travel. Have some other dreams I would like to do before I get too old.

So selling the system, and will put together something small but still ok. For the few hours a month I can get into the sweetspot.

Sorry to hear that. I would advise to not sell your system. Make it more communal,listen with friends and forget about the constant fiddling. Some come to revel in it .. You obviously haven't .. Just forget the OCD part of music enjoyment. Your system seems to have gotten there to the top level... Keep it PM coming up :).

MtnHam

Industry Expert
Jan 12, 2014
Nothern California Wine Country
Well, giving up this hobby. Selling the whole system. I cant find the time to sit down and enjoy this. For the few hours a month I can get into the sweetspot.

Have you considered that your problem might be the dedicated room and the concept of the "sweetspot?" My preference is music in my living room and spill over into the dining room, library and kitchen. The music is the main thing, playing many hours each day. I could never give that up! While the sweetspot is nice, SoundLab electrostatic planners excite all the air in the room and provide full spectrum everywhere.

Last edited:

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY

How can you bring yourself to sell all this equipment???

If you sell it you won't get what it is worth and replacing it with a smaller lower quality system will still cost a good amount of money.

KEEP IT. I know audiophila is a hobby suited to being a loner, but maybe you should move it to another room in the house where it can be enjoyed by other besides yourself.

You will hate seeing it going out the door.

MtnHam

Industry Expert
Jan 12, 2014
Nothern California Wine Country
How can you bring yourself to sell all this equipment???

KEEP IT. I know audiophila is a hobby suited to being a loner, but maybe you should move it to another room in the house where it can be enjoyed by other besides yourself.

Well said.

At least for me, it's all about the music. With the right music, I can enjoy the sound immensely in my automobile, although admittedly, the stock audio system isn't bad. But with my world class main system, the enjoyment is comparable to what I experience at the concert hall, without the hassle and constraints. But, I will never give up going to hear live music too.

Hew

Mar 21, 2014
I enjoyed reading your thread until I got to the punchline (post #13). My take-a-way: music first, sound quality secondary - always!

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
I'm so sad you're selling your system. Such a waste that you have your own room and have such a nice set up. Why down size? Why not leave it as is? There are times you might want to listen. There's no maintenance involved. It's not like taking care of a pet animal.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing