The French Laundry-Yountville

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Arguably one of the finest (if not the best) restaurant in the country. Chef Thomas Keller has made this truly a plce to dine. Make sure you bring your check book or lots of cash as it could easily set you back $500/couple to dine. Also reserve at least 3 months to even have a chance of getting in. Try staying at the Silverado Inn and Resort when you visit Napa Valley

Anyone else been there and what were your thoughts

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Never made it there while I was living in the Bay Area. But did immensely enjoy Napa valley and Yountville area during fall colors. If all the elements align, it is an amazing experience.

As to French Laundry, I got a lot of vicarious enjoyment watching Anthony Bourdain worshiping Thomas Keller as in the way only he can. Highly recommend snagging a better copy than this Youtube:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
My wife called and was told that reservations can only be taken two months before the target date. Looks like we'll be compensating for the time zone from over here to try and get first crack. My sister who has dined there gave a good tip. Go at 4:30pm. Looks like brunch or a late breakfast so you can be hungry by that time. Fingers crossed. I'd hate to take a trans pacific flight and not get to eat there.

Any other bay area super recommendations guys? Is Charles still in business?

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
My wife called and was told that reservations can only be taken two months before the target date. Looks like we'll be compensating for the time zone from over here to try and get first crack. My sister who has dined their gave a good tip. Go at 4:30pm. Looks like brunch or a late breakfast so you can be hungry by that time. Fingers crossed. I'd hate to take a trans pacific flight and not get to eat there.

Any other bay area super recommendations guys? Is Charles still in business?

If you don't have reservations months in advance don't plan on getting into French Laundry

Try Gary Danko in San Francisco. Must reserve way in advance there as well

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
That was a great video -- what works of art!

As an aside, I love Anthony Bourdain. A number of years ago, long before he was on the food channel, a buddy gave me Bourdain's book, Kitchen Confidential.

Back then, I was on the road a lot, so I kept taking the book with me.

I would always take a couple magazines, a few books and I would read everything else, but then I would look at Bourdain's book and think, "the guy is not a famous chef, I've never heard of him, this is not a recipe book, he talks about what goes on in the kitchens of high end restaurants, why should I be interested?"

I would read the ads in the airline magazines -- anything in the seat pockets, but not Bourdain's book.

Finally, on one long flight, I had read everything else on the plane at least four times and I was out of reading material.

I picked up Bourdain's book and could not put it down.

The guy tells great stories with a wonderful sense of humor, has had great experiences and brings you into the world of high end restaurant kitchens and the eccentric characters who populate them in a way no one ever has -- you learn a ton about what goes on in that world while being incredibly entertained.

If you haven't already, check it out.

Kitchen Confidential, by Anthony Bourdain

http://www.amazon.com/Kitchen-Confi...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1272106764&sr=8-1

Last edited:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Anthony sure is unique. I have his series programmed on my DVR permanently. I kind of liked the older one better where he traveled just to eat but the new one is also pretty good. No one before him has combined wit, humor and food the way he has.

I bought his book a couple of years after watching him on TV. Be forewarned, you may not want to eat at restaurant after you read some parts of it. I like where he says "you don't think we throw way that basket of bread when we clean up your table, do you? We simply dust off the cigarette ashes and send it back out!!!" I suspect the practice is not common but sure makes you think what happens to the bread when you don't take any of it. He also gives away the secret on why Chinese seafood dishes are so cheap. Or why you don't want to eat Mussels at a restaurant, etc. It is a short book by the way and pretty quick read.....

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Arguably one of the finest (if not the best) restaurant in the country. Chef Thomas Keller has made this truly a plce to dine. Make sure you bring your check book or lots of cash as it could easily set you back $500/couple to dine. Also reserve at least 3 months to even have a chance of getting in. Try staying at the Silverado Inn and Resort when you visit Napa Valley

God haven't been to Napa in years but last time I was there, was blown away by the number of great restaurants. Did Mustards for lunch one day and it was terrific. Then the same owner had another restaurant set in an old monastery near the Napa train (I don't remember the name) that was a pure joy. Actually must say LA/SF/NY/Vegas are great towns for dining!!!

RUR

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
SoCal
#32 in the world, according to this new list: http://www.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/04/27/fifty.best.restaurants/index.html?hpt=C2

S. Pellegrino's annual "World's 50 Best Restaurants" list was released on Monday at a celebrity-chef-studded event in London, England, marking the ninth edition of the much buzzed-about (and hotly debated) catalogue of the international culinary landscape.
The illustrious list is compiled by The World's 50 Best Restaurants Academy -- an 806-member panel of the globe's most venerated chefs, food critics, restaurateurs and gourmands.

"The list creates tremendous debate -- and it's meant to," according to the World's 50 Best release.

Eight of the restaurants crowned this year -- Alinea in Chicago, Illinois; Daniel, Per Se, Le Bernardin, Momofuku Ssäm Bar, wd~50 and Eleven Madison Park in New York; and The French Laundry in Yountville, California -- are in the United States, this year's most honored country.

1) Noma (Copenhagen, Denmark)

2) El Bulli (Roses, Spain)

3) The Fat Duck (Bray, England)

4) El Celler de Can Roca (Girona, Spain)

5) Mugaritz (Errenteria, Spain)

6) Osteria Francescana (Modena, Italy)

7) Alinea (Chicago, Illinois)

8) Daniel (New York)

9) Arzak (San Sebastián, Spain)

10) Per Se (New York)

11) Le Chateaubriand (Paris, France)

12) La Colombe (Cape Town, South Africa)

13) Pierre Gagnaire (Paris, France)

14) L'Hotel de Ville - Philippe Rochat (Crissier, Switzerland)

15) Le Bernardin (New York)

16) L'Astrance (Paris, France)

17) Hof Van Cleve (Kruishoutem, Belgium)

18) D.O.M. (São Paolo, Brazil)

19) Oud Sluis (Sluis, Netherlands)

20) Le Calandre (Rubano, Italy)

21) Steirereck (Vienna, Austria)

22) Vendôme (Bergisch Gladbach, Germany)

23) Chef Dominique (Helsinki, Finland)

24) Les Créations de Narisawa (Tokyo, Japan)

25) Mathias Dahlgren (Stockholm, Sweden)

26) Momofuku Ssäm Bar (New York)

27) Quay Restaurant (Sydney, Australia)

28) Iggy's (Singapore)

29) L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon (Paris, France)

30) Schloss Schauenstein (Fürstenau, Switzerland)

31) Le Quartier Français (Franschhoek, South Africa)

32) The French Laundry (Yountville, California)

33) Martin Berasategui (Lasarte-oria, Spain)

34) Aqua (Bath, England)

35) Combal Zero (Rivoli, Italy)

36) Dal Pescatore (Montava, Italy)

37) De Librije (Zwolle, Netherlands)

38) Tetsuya's (Sydney, Australia)

39) Jaan Par Andre (Singapore)

40) Il Canto (Siena, Italy)

41) Alain Ducasse Au Plaza Athénée (Paris, France)

42) Oaxen Krog (Oaxen, Sweden)

43) St. John (London, England)

44) La Maison Troisgros (Roanne, France)

45) wd~50 (New York)

46) Biko (Mexico City, Mexico)

47) Die Schwarzwaldstube (Baiersbronn, Germany)

48) Nihonryori RyuGin (Tokyo, Japan)

49) Hibiscus (London, England)

50) Eleven Madison Park (New York)

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Nice list. I need to try Nihoyori RyuGin in Tokyo next time I am there. Wonder how much of them getting picked has to do with English web site and such. Sadly there is so little appreciation of good Japanese food due to language (and taste?) barrier for most westerners.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

I can comment on a few. Feedback from clients who have gone to Daniels in NYC has been mixed. Been to 11 Madison Park and it's one of the finest dining experiences I've ever experienced(one of my client's is Danny Meyer's atty :) ). Food is beyond belief, decor is exquisite and service, a Danny Meyer trademark, is perfection. Went to Le Bernadin a couple of months after it opened and the food was wonderful--but you have to like fish!

Have to say there are a lot of other restaurants in NYC that really rank up there also such as Mas (highly, highly underrated), Bouley (Wow and definitely belong in the top 50 IMHO), Tabla (another Danny Meyer restaurant), Mesa Grill and Gotham Bar and Grill.

And I have to say one of my other favorites that I go to every CES is Spagos in Vegas. It's the best of the four I've tried (the two in LA and the other one in Chicago). What I like most is that I see the same waiter who has been there for eight or so years and he remembers me every year!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Oh and the other restaurant that I forgot about in NYC is Magnus Samuelson's Aquavit. An experience for the senses and not like anything one would make at home.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
OK ran this list past one of my clients who travels and dines at fine restaurants. She agree with most of the choices except Momofuku Ssäm Bar (New York). She did not like MSB particularly their shoehorning people into a 45 min or less time slot for dining.

Oh and one interesting ommission from NY: Jean Georges.

One recommendation from my client--and she's yet to be wrong!

http://aldearestaurant.com/bio.php

Last edited:

SORAsound

May 14, 2010
My wife and I went to the French Laundry many years ago. At that time, my favorite restaurant in the world was Tetsuya's in Sydney, Australia. After dinner, I thought as good as the French Laundry was, Tetsuya's was much better.
From what I remember the food and service was very good. The bread was delicious. In hindsight, that was a problem. Most high-end restaurants now a days do not serve much or any bread. Maybe that filled us up some in advance of the meal.
The waiter warned us that there would be many portions, all small. They actually turned out to be big portions. At the time the wait time was around two months. Now, much longer I hear.

In the last few years I have been to other restaurants owned by Thomas Keller: Bouchon in Vegas a few times, and Ad hoc, Napa once. Bouchon was fine. Not better than your normal good restaurants. Ad hoc was certainly enjoyable. Good. Not extraordinary but good. I will return. Of course if I have the opportunity, I would go back to the French Laundry again but would not sweat over it.

My favorite restaurant now in America is Alinea, luckily in Chicago.
Mehran
SORAsound.com

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com

Nanette and I did both a few years back. One of the (minor) highlights of the trip. Hey, it was our honeymoon!

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Oh and the other restaurant that I forgot about in NYC is Magnus Samuelson's Aquavit. An experience for the senses and not like anything one would make at home.

It was pretty good but but, imho, not on the level of others you name or of one you left off the list: Picholine. BTW, Sameulson left Aquavit recently but we have not been back since then.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
It was pretty good but but, imho, not on the level of others you name or of one you left off the list: Picholine. BTW, Sameulson left Aquavit recently but we have not been back since then.

Thanks Kal, didn't know about Magnus leaving. Haven't been down there for a year or so.

Never been to Picholine. Will have to try it some day!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing