The Bird Lover's Thread

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
Any bird lovers/owners here?

I have a cockatiel parrot named Clyde. We got him a month ago and it's been fascinating getting to know his personality and watching how his attitude changed as he became more at-home with us.

When you know your bird intimately, you sense subtle changes in his behavior, attitude and sense of "entitlement". Clyde went from cautious and shy, to spoiled and privilaged and he's not ashamed to show it now, in just 3-1/2 weeks here.

In the morning, when I enter the kitchen, which is just off the dining room where his cage is, he starts to dance and pace back and forth on his perch. Then he escalates to whistling at me. I whistle back and he repeats. Sometimes he frequency modulates his whistle, so it has a rise/fall pitch about 3-4 times/second, which is cute. After a minute of that, I can't take it anymore, so I open his cage, stick my hand inside and he walks onto my hand and up my arm to my shoulder, where he will often stay for hours.

I can even work on the truck, crawling underneath and Clyde will walk onto whatever side of me is top-facing and watch me work. He's stuck to me like glue, in fact he's become so obsessed that it's becoming a bit smothering for me. My wife and daughter have both expressed their jealousy of this bird, saying he gets more attention from me than they do!

[video=facebook;1298626115693]http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1298626115693[/video]
Clyde is 3 months old, so he's just a baby, but watching him adapt to our family and then develop his own personality, demanding attention from us and becoming particularly-bonded to me, has been a unique experience. Compared to our cat, who could care less if I'm alive or dead, Clyde is very much concerned about my well-being. If I'm lying on the livingroom floor, he gets worried and agitated until I explain to him that I'm okay.

There's nothing like a bird snuggling up to your ear with his soft, feathery head and warm body (birds have a normal body temp of 112°F, which is quite warm when pressed against your neck.)

I'm giving myself a year to see how I handle cockatiel ownership. If things work out well, my next bird may be an African Grey parrot. They're the best talkers in the parrot world.

Anyone got a bird? How much time do you spend with it?

Last edited:

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
My wife and I have two parrots, an African Grey and a Mealy Amazon. They are "wild" birds, they were captured before the laws passed that don't allow captured birds to be imported.

We have had the African Grey since 1984 and the Mealy since 1986, and they both pretty much look as good as new, while we have aged, so they are definitely pets for the long haul, they are on their third generation of dogs and will soon be on their fourth.

As wild birds, ours don't show the same affection as hand fed and bred birds, and the Grey ( a girl) doesn't talk, so they not all Greys speak. However, talking is really only a small part of the sounds they make, and their individual personalities are more important in the long run any way. Large parrots show as much variation in mood, temperament and personality as people, they all tend to be unique and quite different even from each other.

The Grey has bonded with me, and the Mealy has bonded with the Grey, so we have a strange menage a trois going there.

Large parrots are intelligent creatures, need to participate as much as possible in the family life, and can't be caged indefinitely without actually going insane. They are pretty demanding pets, so if you don't have time to spend with them, it is probably best to stick with the smaller birds.

They are also an order of magnitude more destructive and messy than the smaller parakeet type birds. They will also scream at you (and they are incredibly loud) to get you in the room with them or to generally get what they want. They are quite prideful and treat humans as much as servants as companions. They entertain, but they don't ingratiate like dogs or cats. If you have one that has bonded strongly with you, they can be quite affectionate and possessive.

The large birds can also bite like sons of bitches, and their beaks are razor sharp, and sooner or later, you will get it. You have to be very careful with them around noses, ears, lips eyes and appendages. Some of the birds have enough strength in their beaks to break a finger, so you have to be careful with kids.

They have a fairly intense and rapid decision making process about individuals. If they like you, they will probably like you forever. If they don't like you, they will probably never like you. It is very important that you establish that a bird likes you before taking it on as a pet.

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
Fascinating read. African Greys can live 100 years, so they often outlive their owners and are adopted (with psychological baggage) by new owners.
If things work out with the cockatiel, I would like to adopt and African Grey next year. They are among the best talkers in the parrot kingdom, and if anyone is curious, just search 'African Grey talking' on Youtube and prepare to be amazed.
Five years ago, I saw, and videotaped, Einstein, the African Grey at Busch Gardens. He not only talks, but he can solve puzzles. I have the video as proof.
Clyde, our cockatiel, has evolved an attitude since he first came home with us. In the beginning, he was quiet, observant and obedient. That grew into confidence, affection and being a 'bossum buddy', which eventually evolved into the same personality type of a middle-aged housewife of the type that's demanding and never shuts up. Clyde isn't shy about making it known that he wants something.
He used to sit on my shoulder during meals, but now he has to stroll down my arm, onto the table and pick at whatever's on my plate. Then it's off to dance on the keyboard of my laptop, which I keep at the dinner table and try to chew off the key tops. We actually getting into 'boxing' matches, as I tell him "no, no, no" and raise a finger, and he attempts to nip at it to get me to let him have his way. I can see how a situation with a parrot can get out of hand if he thinks you're a pushover.
I've seen photos of devoted bird owners with numerous scars on their necks. I know why! Although Clyde isn't mean by any means, he does like to nibble on ear lobes, and anything that sticks up, like a mole or small tumor. But he also likes to cuddle behind the ear, pressing his warm beak in there and just snoozing when I'm at the computer.
Clyde bonded with me in just two days, which, by my research, is unusually fast, as cockatiels often take a week or more to come out of their shells after a change of residence to a new owner. My guess is he's still a baby, and thus more open to new adventures.
I bought him for my daughter, who loves birds and kept asking me for a bird for the past year. I finally gave in, but part of the time I'm thinking "what have I gotten myself into?"
It's amazing how he can tell us apart by the sound of our footsteps, not to mention voices. Even if I don't speak, he starts whistling loudly when I enter the livingroom, but am not yet in view from his cage's vantage point in the dining room. He's quiet when other family members are in the room, but as soon as I enter, he starts dancing back and forth, flapping his wings and then the whistling, which is becoming more like shrieking lately, begins. I whistle back and it escalates from there. Soon, I can't take it anymore and open the cage and let him walk up my arm to my shoulder. Then he shuts up.
My daughter has a healthy, if excessive, respect for the bird. She's actually afraid to let him onto her arm because of his claws. She's wise to claws, because of our cat and now she thinks the bird is going to claw her, so she's preemptively keeping her distance from Clyde. As a result, it looks like I'm Clyde's mate now. It's an almost smothering relationship. He wants to be with me nearly 24 hours a day. The three hours that most documents on cockatiels talk about are just not enough. Clyde wants to be involved in everything I do. He watches with curiousity as I do my work, particularly if something differs from routine.
If he eventually learns to talk, it will be a bonus, but we're having a lot of fun with him now. I just hope he doesn't get too much more of that headstrong attitude. He's starting to act like the master lately, which is a little worrisome.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Looks like youve made a friend for life

Over the years I have owned an Umbrella, a Moluccan and a Blue and Gold. The latter was incredible, spoke all day and wouldnt stop.

You've described my first wife.

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
"A Friend in Need is a Friend Indeed" could apply to my bird.
I went to the craft store today and $2 bought some wooden dowels. I made a perch that can be slipped into the vertical column of a microphone stand. Now Clyde sits on his perch and watches over my shoulder. That's for when he gets too busy walking all over me, up and down my arm, making typing difficult to impossible. Now I can finally get some work done again!

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
I'm making my bird plans for next year now. Clyde is my best buddy, even though he's supposed to be Amanda's bird, but I would like to get a bird of my own.

I've been looking at Blue and Gold and Scarlet Macaws. Magnificent birds, but the cages are as big as a garden shed. Not practical. That was when I walked over to the two African Greys at a large pet center in NY. One is a Timneh and the other a Congo. Both are adorable. After talking to them for ten minutes, they both came to the front of the cage, bowed their heads and waited for me to pet them. So sweet. When the Congo looked at me, it was as if he could see into my soul. It wasn't a blank stare. It was "I SEE you" Avatar-style. At that moment, I decided that my new addition to the family will be an African Grey. Now the only question is Timneh or Congo.

I like the Congo, and I suppose, given the right upbringing, a Congo can be just as relaxed as a Timneh, but I am in the process of contacting local breeders now. My target is next year, when I get my tax refund money. In the meantime, I've been watching every Youtube video about Greys and the things they do.. one of my favorites is the one who sings "I kissed a girl... and I LIKED it!" especially how he placed emphasis on the word 'LIKED' as if he understands the meaning. These birds crack me up! And so playful. They love physical touch, stroking, finger wrestling and cuddling. Amazing. At the pet center, even my wife, who generally doesn't like animals, said she like this African Grey as she petted it.

I have a very close relationship with my daughter's Cockatiel (much to my wife's jealous dismay), and I will somehow find time to love them both, but the cockatiel is Amanda's bird and I hope that she will soon take over stuardship of that bird, as I develop a relationship with an African Grey next year.

I plan to make my birds celebrities on Youtube, setting the bar for quality parrot videos. I'm queasy from watching and listening to cellphone camera videos, which is what most of the parrot videos on Youtube are made with. Mine will stand apart as real theatrical experiences. I'm actually looking forward to next year, as I await the location of the perfect African Grey parrot for me.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Love to watch them, couldn't stand to own them... Heavy bias from time spent on a farm (whatever idiot put "the roosters crow at dawn" bit in the cartoons has never been around them -- it's a 24/7 thing).

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
I'm not the least bit worried about neighbors here. As long as the birds don't get louder than 150dB @20Hz. :)

When I was living in the Philippines (Taguig, Metro Manila and Baguio), there were roosters everywhere.. for the most part, they were quiet at night. But every morning about 4:30 or so, the first one would crow, then others would join in.. but the most annoying was some guy starting up his motor bike right outside my window. Oh, the horrors of city living..

My four favorite parrots are the African Grey, Macaws, White Crested Cockatoo and the Cockatiel. The Cockatoo is gaining appeal in my book. They're certainly funny with the way they fan those crown feathers around.. makes them very expressive in terms of body language.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
My sisters Cockatiels can whine and bark like her dog. Drives the dog crazy,

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
There's a cockatoo that does an incredibly realistic big dog bark..

But my favorite parrot video is YoYo, who is just oozing with orgasmic joy:

YoYo is just incredible, funny, whitty, and entertaining.. My next parrot will be an African Grey.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
The second video is just amazing. Remembering the entire sequence from the beeps to female and then male voice shows fair amount of intelligence.

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
The second video is just amazing. Remembering the entire sequence from the beeps to female and then male voice shows fair amount of intelligence.

Dr. Irene Pepperberg has been working with an African Grey called Alex, who shattered all preconceptions about parrot intelligence. She conducted experiments which determined that Alex could understand meaning AND context of words. He also understood concepts like the nature of materials and could identify stone, paper, wood, etc, just by touching them with his beak and being asked "what matter?" She worked with Alex for 30 years. He passed away in 2007 and now she is working with a second African Grey, who is showing much of the same abilities, which indicates that Alex was not an exceptional parrot and that most parrots of the species are intelligent.
With YoYo, above, it seems that he is remembering fun experiences (the Wheeeee! parts) of riding in the car and acting them out. This is indeed another demonstration of abstract intelligence. There's another Grey called Mike who sings "I Kissed a Girl" and he puts emphasis on one word as in "..and I LIKED it!" It's as if this parrot understands what it feels like to kiss a girl and is expressing that feeling. Dr. Pepperberg claims that parrots have the abstract intelligence of a 4 year old human and the emotional development of a 2-3 year old human. Indeed, they are like perpetual children in that they can live 80-100 years is well cared for.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
African Greys are extremely intelligent birds as was my Blue and Gold.

The stupid ones I had however were an Umbrella and a Moluccan. They spoke but not like the others. For beauty I liked the Blue and Gold as well as my Moloccan

BTW, in terms of true beauty my favorite is the Hyacinth but I never owned one. They are great talkers

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
The Umbrella Cockatoo is a true clown. They do some of the funniest stunts, and they love playing with animals of different species, like dogs and cats. Not particularly great talkers, but some are very affectionate and crave human touch. B&G Macaws are gorgeous, as are the Hyacinths, which are the largest of the Macaws and the largest of all parrots.

The Black Palm Cockatoo is one of the rarest exotic birds, some costing $25K and are protected in many jurisdictions, thus require licensing to own one, if not outright banned.

I think an African Grey and a Macaw would make great pets. I've started to like the Cockatoo as well, for it's hilarious behavior. Each bird is individual, and some are smarter than others of their own species.

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
"Yuki" our Congo African Grey Parrot Arrives!

After months of planning, shopping around for a good parrot place for a hand-raised CAG, I finally found one in November. We finally ordered her in late January and she was fledged by last Sunday, when we were able to take her home with us. It's been an adjustment period. Yuki is like a human baby, very dependant on us for attention and cuddling, and seems easily upset if we don't give her constant attention. She's laid back and very affectionate. I made several videos, but this was the best one so far.. Yuki is playing with an antique windup goose and then later she is playing with my daughter's pre-school toys:

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Yuki is a beautiful bird. She seems very sweet in temperament, which isn't always the case with the female birds. You are lucky to be able to get her bonded so young, her iris hasn't turned chablis colored yet. At that point, greys look very startling and intelligent but also a lot like little feathered dinosaurs.
We have had ours for 27 years, but a kind of raspy bird, though entertaining in an odd way.
They seem to need a lot more oil in their diet than the "experts" claim, ours gets a bit of margarine every day and her feathers really became healthy after we started doing that many years ago, and her health seems ridiculously good.
You will have to establish her "zone", because they can be VERY destructive, with diabolic smart minds to go with it.
Our green mealy Amazon is a "dumb lunk" by comparison.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Fascinating video. Clearly she seems to think the toy is alive given the kissing or whatever is going on there in bird language :).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing