The Big Hack

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Thank you for posting this story, I've been looking for a more comprehensive article than the short blurb I read in the Economist. It shows what can happen when single party rule (China, Russia, etc) and state owned businesses collaborate to spy using the global supply chain and or the West's freedom of press rules.

China and Russia are playing chess, we're continuing to play a Pollyanna version of checkers.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
You are welcome Jeffrey. I really hate it that we are outsourcing our technologies to adversaries, but we as consumers also don't want to pay higher prices for electronics, so we have a hand in this.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
The original Bloomberg story appeared to be well-researched. Yet Apple and Amazon are denying that any of their computers had the offending chip. What do you think is going on?

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Chips don’t magically appear on circuit boards. Plus the board circuitry has to be designed to accommodate the chip. It’s easy enough to check if you have a product affected. Open it up. Is it there or not.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
The original Bloomberg story appeared to be well-researched. Yet Apple and Amazon are denying that any of their computers had the offending chip. What do you think is going on?

Chips have been implanted before; unlike past cases, this chip was so tiny as to not be noticed. My guess is that the liability of admission is huge, therefore the party line is to deny all allegations. Aka standard operating procedure.

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
A big trend in U.S. government computing these days is to outsource to the cloud, where Amazon in particular is a big player. I think this probably explains the public denials. Several years ago some government agencies stopped allowing procurement of Chinese sourced computing technology.... with good reason. The Chinese retaliated against U.S. manufactured equipment.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Chips have been implanted before; unlike past cases, this chip was so tiny as to not be noticed. My guess is that the liability of admission is huge, therefore the party line is to deny all allegations. Aka standard operating procedure.

+1. Look at the denials from Facebook regarding the extent of the hacking into their system. The Economist put it perfectly 'either way its troubling, Facebook is covering up the truth or their algorithms are so complicated, they don't know.'

Silicon Valley companies are so obsessed with growth, they are reckless plain and simple.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing