The Analog DAC

bplexico

Mar 28, 2011
Again thanks for the comments - appreciate it! BTW from looking at the price list on MSB site - an Analog DAC with the only options being USB input and upgrade to the Analog Power Base is $9990. If one were to purchase with just USB input and default desktop power supply, it is $6995. I heard it with the base level desktop power supply, cannot attest to the difference the $2995 Analog Power Base would make.

When adding USB 384KHz to a Platinum DAC there is a $1395 uplift in price. I price out a Platinum DAC with the only options being the USB 384kHz input and Standard Platinum Power Base at $13,885.

Peace, again appreciate all your thoughts.

Last edited:

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
The standard power supply is already pretty substantial. It has two separate transformers and 4 voltage regulators:

analogdacpsu2.jpg

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
The standard power supply is already pretty substantial. It has two separate transformers and 4 voltage regulators:

Wow. I had no idea. Makes it hard to justify spending $3.5K on a powerbase I guess. I'm sure they'll give you the Powerbase a loaner to decide for yourself if it is worth the extra $$$.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Unfortunately, my dealer doesn't have the upgraded PSU in stock. Any of the DAC IV PSUs I have on hand will probably not fit.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Unfortunately, my dealer doesn't have the upgraded PSU in stock. Any of the DAC IV PSUs I have on hand will probably not fit.

Talk to Vince @ MSB - he may have one. Actual sale and invoicing will go through dealer, but I will be getting my demo clock from him directly.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
IIRC, you're able to power an MSB transport too with the Powerbase. And I also seem to remember reading that the cords are nicer in the Powerbase.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
IIRC, you're able to power an MSB transport too with the Powerbase. And I also seem to remember reading that the cords are nicer in the Powerbase.

The umbillical cord that comes with the signature powerbase is not overly impressive, but I believe the six grand diamond powerbase gets you a nicer piece of cord .....

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
The umbillical cord that comes with the signature powerbase is not ovverly impressive, but I believe the six grand diamond powerbase gets you a nicer piece of cord .....

I have the upgraded umbilical.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I have the upgraded umbilical.

Is this one that comes standard with the Diamond PB, or is there a level above? I have my PB out for upgrade to Diamond level right now, and want to make sure I get the top of the line cord. The website only mentions the Diamond based + Diamond cord as part of the same package, so I assume I'll get it with the Diamond PB.

hiroshige

Feb 13, 2011
Is this one that comes standard with the Diamond PB, or is there a level above? I have my PB out for upgrade to Diamond level right now, and want to make sure I get the top of the line cord. The website only mentions the Diamond based + Diamond cord as part of the same package, so I assume I'll get it with the Diamond PB.

If you are upgrading to the diamond power supply you'll get the top of the line cord. There are two I believe. The one that comes with the Platinum and signature and a second one that comes with the diamond.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com

When I got these, Vinny said it was an upgrade. It may come standard now.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Priaptor - don't borrow the Diamond DAC if you have no intention to buy one. There is a big difference between the AnalogDAC (which is good) and the Diamond DAC (which is the best I've heard). Once you hear it - there is no going back.

I had the Diamond DAC in my system for 2 weeks, and the Anlog DAc just before that.

Elberoth,

You were right. No contest. It is an amazing piece. The best I have ever heard. The Analog is excellent, but this is like from another galaxy. I am amazed. The more complex the music, the better she sounds.

I will state, that my experience, is unlike most. I have compared my EMM, which requires a preamp and I use an ARC REF5SE, to the Analog and Diamond both of which have volume controls with the latter run straight into my Constellation Centaur Stereo amp and through my preamp and can, to my taste, like both the Analog and Diamond better through the REF5Se. In fact, I don't think it is close, no matter how good their volume stage is. I was hoping for the opposite, but it is not there yet, at least from my perspective.

That out of the way, the Diamond really is very special. Just amazing amount of detail, incredible control, imaging, space and speed. I have never heard digital sound this good. Maybe there are better products, but this is a true quantum leap above anything I have heard, including the not so inexpensive EMM DAC2x which I own.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Elberoth,

You were right. No contest. It is an amazing piece. The best I have ever heard. The Analog is excellent, but this is like from another galaxy. I am amazed. The more complex the music, the better she sounds.

I will state, that my experience, is unlike most. I have compared my EMM, which requires a preamp and I use an ARC REF5SE, to the Analog and Diamond both of which have volume controls with the latter run straight into my Constellation Centaur Stereo amp and through my preamp and can, to my taste, like both the Analog and Diamond better through the REF5Se. In fact, I don't think it is close, no matter how good their volume stage is. I was hoping for the opposite, but it is not there yet, at least from my perspective.

That out of the way, the Diamond really is very special. Just amazing amount of detail, incredible control, imaging, space and speed. I have never heard digital sound this good. Maybe there are better products, but this is a true quantum leap above anything I have heard, including the not so inexpensive EMM DAC2x which I own.

While it has been consistently reported the top of the line Diamond / Galaxy trounces the Analog (at 4 -5 times the price), opinions on the gaps between a signature plus (femto 140 clock) and a fullly loaded Diamond diverge. Since this configuration would be $15K MSRP cheaper than the fully loaded Diamond, you should probably get your hands on a Signature IV plus and hear for yourself if the Diamond / Galaxy is worth the extra $15K. If you are seriously considering spending this kind of money in the first place that is of course.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
While it has been consistently reported the top of the line Diamond / Galaxy trounces the Analog (at 4 -5 times the price), opinions on the gaps between a signature plus (femto 140 clock) and a fullly loaded Diamond diverge. Since this configuration would be $15K MSRP cheaper than the fully loaded Diamond, you should probably get your hands on a Signature IV plus and hear for yourself if the Diamond / Galaxy is worth the extra $15K. If you are seriously considering spending this kind of money in the first place that is of course.

I need to come down to earth for awhile before making any decisions on what I am going to do. This thing is just that good. Maybe I can get a demo of what you suggest.

Is the volume control something one can add at a later date? That would also cut the price by 3K because as I state, I would run the thing through my REF5Se so the Volume control for me is not necessary at this time.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I need to come down to earth for awhile before making any decisions on what I am going to do. This thing is just that good. Maybe I can get a demo of what you suggest.

Is the volume control something one can add at a later date? That would also cut the price by 3K because as I state, I would run the thing through my REF5Se so the Volume control for me is not necessary at this time.

In the IV series the volume control is a field installable option. In the analog, it needs to be part of the original specs. They may be able to add it at a later date if you buy one without Volume control (although the site suggest this may not be possible), but it would definitely go back to the shop.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
In the IV series the volume control is a field installable option. In the analog, it needs to be part of the original specs. They may be able to add it at a later date if you buy one without Volume control (although the site suggest this may not be possible), but it would definitely go back to the shop.

Yes, I know the Analog has to be ordered with or without as it can not be changed later. It was the Diamond I was asking about as I have a BIG FAT TARGET on that thing right now, at least until I bring my head out of the clouds.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Yes, I know the Analog has to be ordered with or without as it can not be changed later. It was the Diamond I was asking about as I have a BIG FAT TARGET on that thing right now, at least until I bring my head out of the clouds.

Unless you are ready to part with $40K, I would give the Signature plus a whirl before deciding. Not cheap either, but the difference still buys you a brand new Hyundai Sonata. I know a guy who heard both - could afford the top of the line but decided the small difference in SQ was not worth the difference in $$$ to him. Elberoth may advise differently. Only way to find out is try for yourself...

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
The alternative is waiting for the DACV to come out then look for a used DACIV Sig+ or Diamond :D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing