TESLA POWERWALL : will it basically be a powered theory like the STROMTANK ?

jackson_k

VIP/Donor
Jan 19, 2019
Los Angeles
TESLA POWERWALL : will it basically be a powered theory like the STROMTANK ?

Anyone out there has a POWERWALL With success to their System? would love to hear the experience : )

I mean... if POWERWALL can power your entire house , I don't see what Its not going to be as strong as the STROMTANK, but again ,,
STORMTANK being its right next to your system, is probably going to be even cleaner , but TESLA POWERWALL technically will give you
a super clean power / steady to everything in the house including switch , everything that runs on WATTS !

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-29 at 12.52.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-29 at 12.52.22 PM.png
    240.6 KB · Views: 21
  • Screen Shot 2019-06-29 at 12.53.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-29 at 12.53.07 PM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 20

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Reactions: jackson_k

jackson_k

VIP/Donor
Jan 19, 2019
Los Angeles

Steve Williams

There is no boost in SQ. What it sounds like with AC is what it sounds like with solar converted to AC

You don’t need a battery for your sound system.

I have had my solar system in since Oct 1. My best advice is to make your grid large enough that it produces more than you need. I have 30 of the 360 panel for a 10.8 kw grid on my roof

Since Oct 1 I have produced over 12000 kWh and have used 6800 KWH and have banked over 5000 kWh. Simply put if your system uses microinverters with each panel your SQ is exactly the same as if you are using good old fashioned AC

I cannotvtell the difference either way but suffice it to say there is no negative effect and IMO you don’t need a Stromtank

The good news is I haven’t had an electric bill since last September

Steve Williams

My goal was to be totally off the grid of San Diego Gas and Electric where last summer for just my wife and I our monthly electric bill was over $1000 per month. Now they are buying electricity from me :cool:

Reactions: jackson_k

jackson_k

VIP/Donor
Jan 19, 2019
Los Angeles
There is no boost in SQ. What it sounds like with AC is what it sounds like with solar converted to AC

You don’t need a battery for your sound system.

I have had my solar system in since Oct 1. My best advice is to make your grid large enough that it produces more than you need. I have 30 of the 360 panel for a 10.8 kw grid on my roof

Since Oct 1 I have produced over 12000 kWh and have used 6800 KWH and have banked over 5000 kWh. Simply put if your system uses microinverters with each panel your SQ is exactly the same as if you are using good old fashioned AC

I cannotvtell the difference either way but suffice it to say there is no negative effect and IMO you don’t need a Stromtank

The good news is I haven’t had an electric bill since last September
But what happens at night ? you will have to draw from the good old GRID power, so I guess thats why you are putting in that BATTERY system, which system are you planning to go with ? and man o man ! you have a killer solar system ! hahahah I only have enough roof to do a 40panel system ( about 70kwh per day ) with my car charging etc., its barley catching up , so I try to charge my car at the office as much as possible ( there is where I have about the same size grid as what you have at the house ) hahhahaha ! dude ! I can't imagine how big your house is ! hahahahahah ! good job !

Steve Williams

It doesn’t natter when I draw fomi their grid as I have banked over 5000 kWh. They put you on a NEMS ( net energy meter system) but because I am always in the positive it doesn’t natter when I draw. Even in peak periods from 4-9. I have not had an electric bill since last September

Steve Williams

I want to put a battery in to use as a whole house solution. My solar company has one under development that will be released in Q4 this year. The key to batteries is they must be smaller than Tesla batteries and have more storage. This is happening. For my needs a battery is good in case of a power outage or to charge an EV. However the best time to charge an EV is between midnight and 0600

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
My goal was to be totally off the grid of San Diego Gas and Electric where last summer for just my wife and I our monthly electric bill was over $1000 per month. Now they are buying electricity from me :cool:

Daaaaaaaaaauuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmnn that's insanely high, freakishly high. I can't see how you could lose by investing in solar.

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
I switched to solar more than 10 years ago (solar thermal panels and solar panels) and never encountered any issue in terms of so-called noise/pollution from the inverters. I made extensive listening sessions with and without the inverters on and I never could tell the difference (whereas I did test CPL technology some years ago and my phono stage did not like it at all).

I my country, the utility companies won’t buy back the excess but they will net the surplus of the daylight production against the night time consumption. The goal is to size your solar system to meet your needs.

I recently switched to an EV and I got some additional 400 W/unit panels from Sunpower in order to cover the increase of electricity consumption.

I will consider adding batteries in case of the removal of the netting between daylight production/night time consumption as utility companies are lobbying against this feature.

Steve Williams

Fortunately where we are the utility companies do buy back our banked energy but at a ridiculously low price. My feeling about that is "I don't care" as long as what I produce meets and exceeds my demand and it does

Does your system use a single invertor or a micro inverter with each panel?? It was the older systems using an invertor where noise could be an issue in a sound systems . The newer systems just don't have this problem

The goal is indeed to "size your system to your needs" BUT for me I never wanted to pay another ludicrous electric bill so I designed a system that bullet proofs me for the future

As for your comment about Sun Power, I did my due diligence for a year before I finally made decision and found consistently in everything I read that there were only 3 companies worth considering and of those 3 Sun Power consistently ranked number one. They have the best warranty (25 years bumper to bumper) and their panels have an efficiency rating of 1.2. They are the oldest Solar company in America and their panels are on the Mars Rover

It is Sun Power who is releasing their battery in Q4 of this year and this is the one I will buy.

Don't buy Tesla as the batteries are getting smaller and much better

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
I have two large inverters and no micro inverter with each panel. I live in a country where HVAC is not necessary. My electricity bill is peanuts compared to yours. Winters can be rather cold so central heating is ensured by a high efficiency fuel boiler hence the thermal solar panels for producing the hot water (the boiler kicks in if the water is not warm enough).

I agree on Sun Power. I also carried out my due diligence and the choice was obvious : power per unit, efficiency and warranty. The Solar Impulse was fitted with panels from Sun Power.

Before switching to an EV a few weeks ago, I made some calculations of my need for increasing the solar system that had been in place for 11 years. At that time, I never thought I would be driving an EV in the future. Sun Power recently released 400 W units that are twice the power of the units I got installed 11 years ago.

There is no hurry for getting batteries and I would definitely opt for compact and high efficient ones.

jackson_k

VIP/Donor
Jan 19, 2019
Los Angeles
I installed some 365 LGs as well, with the emphases inverters ,,, generating about 70kwh per day with 35 panels ,, more importantly just wondering how battery powered house will effect the SQ of the system, a friend tried the STROMTANK and find that very impressive especially with the front end. And with my recent adventure I find that how Power Cords alone can make such a significant improvements on a system ! POWER is the fundamental of a good system and that is no JOKE !

Joe P

May 11, 2019
Steve, have you ever had a golf ball hit your panels?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing