Looks so delicate :)

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Lovely photos and aesthetically nice match

How does it sound ?

Does this arm correct tracking error ?

Looks so delicate :)

thanks. yes, aesthetically it does match a lot better than I imagined. It sounds superb - raises the bar from the technics tonearm. very happy. I have a few things to play with as far as isolation goes which hopefully will raise things a little more.

the Thales Simplicity II has virtual linear tracking as far as tracking error goes - and you can hear it - that is you can't.

btw - great table - the Monaco is superb - I had the V1 at home for a while when I was baby sitting it - similar in sound to the classic direct drive tables like Exclusive P3 and the Technics.

cheers

theophile

How would you describe the sound of the SP 10MkIII compared to the Exclusive P3?

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Interesting regarding the correlation between speed control and increased sound quality. I have read the reviews of the Monaco turntable and the increased performance with better speed control going from 1.5 to 2.0 version.

I just had the Technics Technics MN6042 Pitch Synthesizer IC replaced with the Fidelis Analog FA6042 Pitch Synthesizer as well as getting my SP10 mk3 calibrated, caps replaced and bearing serviced. The original Technics NA6042 chip failed.

The SP10 mk3 now has better measured speed accuracy compared to the very nice 40k Monaco DD table.

I am very happy with the increased performance of my SP10 mk3, although I was not expecting any improvement. The stability, speed, dynamics and drive in the entire bass range is special and addictive.

The Fidelis Analog FA6042 is mndatory for SP10 mk3 owners imo.

http://fidelisanalog.com/product/mn6042/

Description
Being early MOS technology, the Technics MN6042 Pitch Synthesizer IC is by far the most failure prone IC in the turntables that use it. Further, at their current age, even working MN6042 ICs typically are not working well due to gate damage sustained over their lifetime.

In our testing of three different Technics ICs, we found all three exhibited an average frequency variation of 8Hz, which directly affects the Quartz Lock frequency of the turntable, leading to increased flutter. With today’s technology, we can do far better.

The Fidelis Analog FA6042 Pitch Synthesizer is a drop-in replacement for the original Technics part, designed for absolute reliability and vastly improved performance. Our Pitch Synthesizer is stable to +0.1/-0.2Hz, making the Quartz Lock reference stable to +/-0.00003Hz as measured in our SP-10 MK3.

Last edited:

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Interesting regarding the correlation between speed control and increased sound quality. I have read the reviews of the Monaco turntable and the increased performance with better speed control going from 1.5 to 2.0 version.

I just had the Technics Technics MN6042 Pitch Synthesizer IC replaced with the Fidelis Analog FA6042 Pitch Synthesizer as well as getting my SP10 mk3 calibrated, caps replaced and bearing serviced. The original Technics NA6042 chip failed.

The SP10 mk3 now has better measured speed accuracy compared to the very nice 40k Monaco DD table.

I am very happy with the increased performance of my SP10 mk3, although I was not expecting any improvement. The stability, speed, dynamics and drive in the entire bass range is special and addictive.

The Fidelis Analog FA6042 is mndatory for SP10 mk3 owners imo.

Wow! Congratulation XV. Your super accurate direct drive with the Simplicity must be so very special. Intrigue me.

Kind regards,
Tang

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
thanks Tango. It's another flavour on how to play records well in the high end.

it was a fluke to be honest - The infamous NA6042 failed on my SP10mk3, so I heard of this replacement chip and ordered it from JP. very happy its reverted the table functionally back to normal and it sounds better as well.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Congratulations XV-1. Could you provide the contact information of the person who did the work on your SP10 mk III? I have a friend who owns one and would be interested in the information. Can he do a full up SP10 III restoration? I'm also intrigued that the speed accuracy surpasses that of the Monaco 2.0 which has been described as the most speed accurate/stable turntable that exists.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
thanks Tango. It's another flavour on how to play records well in the high end.

it was a fluke to be honest - The infamous NA6042 failed on my SP10mk3, so I heard of this replacement chip and ordered it from JP. very happy its reverted the table functionally back to normal and it sounds better as well.

wow, cool stuff.

I wonder how this upgrade might now compare to the new SP-10R that is suppose to have this amazing speed accuracy and stability?

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Congratulations XV-1. Could you provide the contact information of the person who did the work on your SP10 mk III? I have a friend who owns one and would be interested in the information. Can he do a full up SP10 III restoration? I'm also intrigued that the speed accuracy surpasses that of the Monaco 2.0 which has been described as the most speed accurate/stable turntable that exists.

Hi Peter

the contact info is on his web site I listed - but see below as well.

Your friend might want to be quick as there are only a few left after he did his last production run last month.

http://fidelisanalog.com/product/mn6042/

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
wow, cool stuff.

I wonder how this upgrade might now compare to the new SP-10R that is suppose to have this amazing speed accuracy and stability?

That would be an interesting comparison.

Not that much info regarding specs of the new SP-10R - it says Wow and Flutter 0.015 % W.R.M.S and have read that signal to noise ratio is 92db. Both these specs are the same as the SP10mk3 specs.

New model does not mention speed drift/accuracy specs.

analog brother

Jan 20, 2014
new model sl-1000r is purported to be one of the most stable drives ever.
looks fantastic! huge want factor for sure...
you put your order in yet, shane? :)

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
new model sl-1000r is purported to be one of the most stable drives ever.
looks fantastic! huge want factor for sure...
you put your order in yet, shane? :)

It does look nice - not convinced that they force you their SL 1200 tonearm thou. Will then even bring it onto Australia? too expensive I would think.

analog brother

Jan 20, 2014
yes, the price is quite prohibitive, but what a unit. the tonearm is the magnesium version.
not sure how many 1200's have been sold here either, as now they are quite expensive, but this 1000r is playing deeply with my emotions. would be perfect table for my detroit techno sub-collection :)
used to love using the sp10's back when i was doing radio. definitely sounded better than the sl1200 back then as well.

Chris F

Oct 17, 2014
Ottawa, ON, Canada
wow, cool stuff.

On paper it's no contest. A 226Khz PLL from the 80s vs something that runs Mhz range (possibly hundreds of Mhz) with way better ppm (drift over time) and jitter specs plus significantly more powerful (sample rate, accuracy etc..) control firmware and sensors.

Of course in reality it may not sound better but based off what they did with the 1200 my money is on the newcomer. (and by a large margin)

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
On paper it's no contest. A 226Khz PLL from the 80s vs something that runs Mhz range (possibly hundreds of Mhz) with way better ppm (drift over time) and jitter specs plus significantly more powerful (sample rate, accuracy etc..) control firmware and sensors. . . .

Chris, can you say more about those specs? Thanks.

theophile

It does look nice - not convinced that they force you their SL 1200 tonearm thou. Will then even bring it onto Australia? too expensive I would think.

The Buyer can select the motor unit/ control electronics without a plinth and arm.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
The Buyer can select the motor unit/ control electronics without a plinth and arm.

But you cannot select motor unit with blank plinth and blank arm board for tonearm of choice..

theophile

But you cannot select motor unit with blank plinth and blank arm board for tonearm of choice..

So therefore one buys the motor unit/control electronics and outsources or makes the plinth and arm board.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing