Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
Have you found any difference in SQ between both methods?
I haven't found any sound quality difference between the two methods. I've had my Extreme about two years now and periodically I revisit the "batch play" method. So far I've never been able to hear an SQ change. Since I have very slow internet, if I am streaming a lot of tracks I just leave TAS in Extreme Direct player rather than Gapless to avoid the long silence while multiple tracks are processed and loaded into memory from the latter method.

Steve Z

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Where you can see in TAS the buffer size for PCM, I can't find it.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Where you can see in TAS the buffer size for PCM, I can't find it.

I believe you have to remote into the Extreme and look at the TAS dashboard.

kswanson27

Nov 21, 2018
I believe you have to remote into the Extreme and look at the TAS dashboard.
Tap and hold the player button (bar). The selections will come up.

Reactions: Taiko Audio

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Ok, thanks to those who have helped me with your answers.

Reactions: oldmustang

jaxho

May 18, 2021
Emile/Christiann/Ed and company. All of this is VERY EXCITING. In all of my years I've never owned any product that had as much and as many free upgrades that improved the quality and performance of the product. It's really a great thing!

Thank you for your hard work being the best sales and support organization that I have personally experienced!!!
´+1

jaxho

May 18, 2021
The feeling that with the Taiko Extreme you get an evolving platform with lots of R&D behind it that keep the product on the leading edge, and which you can benefit from in the long-ish term with an incremental investment or free of charge is extremely powerful.

I, for one, would have not purchased such an expensive music server, already on the (fastest moving audio technology) market since about 3 years, if I had not the confidence in some kind of future-proofness :).
+1
I think it was a very good and brave move to delay the release of XDMS due to your discovery. Thank you Taiko.

Greetings Jaxho

Nils

Dec 16, 2021
Northern Sweden
Is there a way to dim the intensity of the Extreme's led light?

I have all units' visible lights dimmed down - prefer it that way. At the moment - Extreme's led is by far the brightest thing in my listening room.

?

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

I have all units' visible lights dimmed down - prefer it that way. At the moment - Extreme's led is by far the brightest thing in my listening room.

?

I would recommend getting some of these:

There is no way to dim it via a setting.

ray-dude

Dec 8, 2019
Remember that a lot of dimmers (whether on components or room lights, etc) work by pulsing, which can be problematic (noise, etc). I prefer covering with physical filters as well

Christiaan Punter

T

?
Alas, there is no function that allows control of the brightness of the LED indicator.

Nils

Dec 16, 2021
Northern Sweden
T

Alas, there is no function that allows control of the brightness of the LED indicator.
I find that strange - this is a very high-end appliance - putting 'plastic' over the light to dim it will of course work from a functional pow but it does not feel right to do it on an otherwise absolutely stunning piece of industrial engineering like the Extreme - it would not be out of place at MOMA.

Still - obviously VERY much lower in priority than anything related to SQ - which is absolutely magnificent.

Christiaan Punter

I find that strange - this is a very high-end appliance - putting 'plastic' over the light to dim it will of course work from a functional pow but it does not feel right to do it on an otherwise absolutely stunning piece of industrial engineering like the Extreme - it would not be out of place at MOMA.

Still - obviously VERY much lower in priority than anything related to SQ - which is absolutely magnificent.
I'm afraid there's nothing that can be done now, but the suggestion has been noted:)

Reactions: Nils

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
Thanks for the pointers to SF Cable and the C14 and C19 retention sleeves. I received my order a couple of days ago and took some time today to use them on the snake pit of power cords behind my equipment rack. They work great and fit every IEC terminated power cord except the huge IEC on the Sablon Prince feeding my Extreme. That IEC plug is milled just a bit larger and the sleeve won't fit. Which isn't too big a deal since I'm using an alternative method (a large block of anti-static hard foam) to support the weight of the Sablon's IEC and 6 AWG conductors.

Have I noticed a difference in sound quality? No, nor was I expecting one. But phantom unplugging -- most usually from brushing a power cord when working behind the equipment rack -- should definitely be a thing of the past.

Many thanks -- this has got to be one of the most helpful threads on the WBF website.

Steve Z

Vhp0c97HQF2XB2Lfss9Kxg.jpeg gRxI7QROTmu55BniXXzpfg.jpeg

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

You obviously don’t have tubes in your system ;)

Reactions: wil

Nils

Dec 16, 2021
Northern Sweden
@Steve Williams you are correct - have not yet gone down the tube - solid state all the way for now.

I believe tube glow would be 'different' and adding to the holistic listening experience.

I have ordered the recommended light-dampers and will be getting a good scalpel to fabricate a working solution to my 'problem'

Blackmorec

Feb 1, 2019
Thanks for the pointers to SF Cable and the C14 and C19 retention sleeves. I received my order a couple of days ago and took some time today to use them on the snake pit of power cords behind my equipment rack. They work great and fit every IEC terminated power cord except the huge IEC on the Sablon Prince feeding my Extreme. That IEC plug is milled just a bit larger and the sleeve won't fit. Which isn't too big a deal since I'm using an alternative method (a large block of anti-static hard foam) to support the weight of the Sablon's IEC and 6 AWG conductors.

Have I noticed a difference in sound quality? No, nor was I expecting one. But phantom unplugging -- most usually from brushing a power cord when working behind the equipment rack -- should definitely be a thing of the past.

Many thanks -- this has got to be one of the most helpful threads on the WBF website.

Steve Z

View attachment 88877 View attachment 88875
Hi Steve,
I can see the utility of such sleeves but one thing I would check is to make sure there is adequate contact pressure exerted by the plug….the fact that these plugs can just fall out would indicate that the plug contacts are exerting very little pressure on the prongs. Are you certain you are actually seating your plugs fully? Whenever I insert an IEC plug into its socket I wear white gloves so I can really give the plug a solid push, while supporting the component from the front to prevent it sliding off the rack. I will often feel the plug ‘fully seat’ when this extra pressure is applied. The same procedure is necessary to unplug the component as there is usually substantial resistance before the plug can be withdrawn. This is very important with lightweight components but even the heavyweights will slide when sufficient pressure is applied to fully seat the plug. Just a thought

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing