Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

plasmod3

Aug 28, 2020
Amazing Eurodriver ! So good to have an update - very much look forward to this upgrade:)

ctydwn

Aug 23, 2019
Finally cracked and approved Roon build update from 610 to 667 on the Extreme. Couldn’t keep hitting the ‘x’ button. No discernible impact to SQ here, for what this is worth. Can’t wait for TAS!!! Btw. liking the new updates to the website.

Last edited:
Reactions: Taiko Audio

Esotar

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
South Korea
www.digituslabs.kr
Finally cracked and approved Roon build update from 610 to 667 on the Extreme. Couldn’t keep hitting the ‘x’ button. No discernible impact to SQ here, for what this is worth. Can’t wait for TAS!!!

ME TOO~!!!!!!!

HAHAHA

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
New Extreme installation in matte black. This room/system/Extreme really looks wonderful in person. 20201107_102919.jpg

2ndLiner

Dec 16, 2015
Hello @Esotar, your system looks fantastic and bet it sounds that way, too! What brand are the clamps/weights you put on top of some of your components and approximately how much do they weigh? Thanks!

Last edited:

Esotar

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
South Korea
www.digituslabs.kr
Hello @Esotar, your system looks fantastic and bet it sounds that way, too! What brand are the clamps/weights you put on top of some of your components and approximately how much do they weigh? Thanks!

My system sound is not good.

And actually Divin Noblesse didn't be arrived.

I'll receive Noblesse on Monday or Tuesday.

My system main problem is Korean made monoblock.

Their response speed is like darTZeel [NHB-108 Model 1], but not beautiful.

For beautiful sound, I collected Entreq Grounding products and I'm world no. 1 customer.

I'll contact darTZeel & Tripoint Audio in November 2021.

When NHB-468, NHB-18ns & Troy Elite are in my system, the system will be complete.

I didn't think about system weight.

Divin Noblesse : 520Kg

SGM Extreme : 42Kg

Light Harmonic World Exclusive Da Vinci Sire DE : 34Kg

KX-R Twenty : About 20Kg

Nayuta Flagship Linear Power Supply : 63Kg

Korean made Sound Forum [Sarajida SE mono (550W X 2)] : Total 86Kg

HI FI Stay special audio rack : 25Kg??

Entreq all grounding boxes : Total 400Kg???

DAIZAs : 92Kg

Kaiser Acoustics Diffuser X 2 and Stands : Total 80Kg????

Total Weight : About 1.4 ton

The best components in my system are

1st : SGM Extreme

2nd : LH Da Vinci Sire DE DAC

All members hates Larry Ho, I know.

LH Labs products are all trashes.

But HQ Light Harmonic made Da Vinci MK III.

They didn't post Da Vinci MK III yet.

My Da Vinci Sire DE (DV SDE) is full custom version of Da Vinci MK III Sire.

DV SDE quality is 170% of DV MK III Sure

- Output Jitter : PCM 22fs / DSD 32fs

- Riffle Noise : 0.78uV

- Dynamic Range : 168dB (4V) / 179dB (12V)

- World First [[[32 bit]]] Multibit Ladder Architecture (32bit / 768KHz [[[Pure Bit-Perfect]]] Conversion)

- World First [[[USB 3.0]]] Interface Module

- 11Gb/s Patented Boards were used

- PCM DAC + DSD DAC + Pre Amp = Dual Independent Engines

- The Fastest DAC

Spec is World no. 1, but Spec is just number.

I think Select II Full Option is more than DV SDE. (10% more)

And DV SDE is only for DIGITUS Labs in Korea.

You can't order this DAC.

Last edited:
Reactions: ctydwn

ctydwn

Aug 23, 2019
New Extreme installation in matte black. This room/system/Extreme really looks wonderful in person. View attachment 71243
Beautiful! Not having seen it in person before purchase, I really like the looks of the black matte in my system as well. Emile was kind enough to recommend based on the look of my setup.

Esotar

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
South Korea
www.digituslabs.kr

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
TAS Alpha is landing today

After 6 months of coding, experimenting and testing, the Alpha Release is landing into the Extreme’s of a small group of Alpha Testers who will be giving us feedback, and I expect they will share their observations and insights here on WBF.

Emile will be doing the installations via a TeamViewer session starting today. The installation will take less than 5 minutes and then Emile will show the Extreme-naut the basics of the interface which TAS is using. As I stated earlier, we will be completely redoing this interface and coding a native tablet application.

After the Alpha feedback we will endeavor to make the Beta release User experience as enjoyable as possible so that using TAS will be relatively simple and uncluttered. We don’t want TAS to get in the way of listening to the musicians !

Play Screen.jpg

onsionsi

Nov 27, 2019
TAS Alpha is landing today

After 6 months of coding, experimenting and testing, the Alpha Release is landing into the Extreme’s of a small group of Alpha Testers who will be giving us feedback, and I expect they will share their observations and insights here on WBF.

Emile will be doing the installations via a TeamViewer session starting today. The installation will take less than 5 minutes and then Emile will show the Extreme-naut the basics of the interface which TAS is using. As I stated earlier, we will be completely redoing this interface and coding a native tablet application.

After the Alpha feedback we will endeavor to make the Beta release User experience as enjoyable as possible so that using TAS will be relatively simple and uncluttered. We don’t want TAS to get in the way of listening to the musicians !

View attachment 71276

Congratulations @Taiko Audio & @EuroDriver to this new software and looking expectantly to the observations from Alpha testers.

2ndLiner

Dec 16, 2015
Hello @Esotar = Thank you for sharing the details of your system and I hope your new speakers bring you the sonic qualities you are seeking! I am interested in the small anti-vibration devices you place on top of some of your components. Are they turntable clamps? Approximately, how much do they weigh? Thanks and best to you!

Three quid

Sep 30, 2019
Ran into these pictures on an asian forum. Any idea what's going on here with the gold sheets in this Taiko Extreme?

sgm gold.jpg sgm gold 2.jpg

Esotar

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
South Korea
www.digituslabs.kr
Ran into these pictures on an asian forum. Any idea what's going on here with the gold sheets in this Taiko Extreme?

View attachment 71281 View attachment 71282

Too dangerous~!!!!

Actually, SGM Extreme protect level is very strong.

My Extreme was shorted and appeared fire balls....

I thought Extreme was dead but after 10 minutes turn off, Extreme was recovered.

Extreme mechanism is very close to perfection, but customization is meaningless and dangerous.

I tried to increase Extreme quality, but all idea was failed.

Emile and Edward advises were only helpful.

Follow two legendary engineers advises.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Taiko Audio Server and Taiko Audio Remote-Initial Thoughts

In brief, all of us who read and follow this thread know of Emile and the magic he weaves with his desire to produce the very best of the best music servers. It's because of this strong desire and his incomparable customer service that manyt of us here use Emile's Extreme and revel in how good the music sounds. Things changed about 6 months ago when many of us noticed some decline in sound quality with each new Roon build. Emile found a way to tweak the bowels of the Extreme to offset the negatives of Roon and restore better sound quality. Out of this came the idea to Emile to create his own music server which he can develop himself and therefore create what and how he wants to continue to produce the best sound for his users. Hence Taiko Audio Server (which as I understand it, will be only available to Taiko users). Emile knew this was no easy task and hired a team create TAS. Along with this came notoriety and Emile became "EXTREMEly" busy so much so that he has had to purchase a larger factory. With success also comes the challenge as how to continue the best Customer Service as his business grows. We all know that Emile uses Team Viewer to get everyone up and running but with TAS as well as Roon coming in every Extreme he looked for a way to help streamline customer care and from that came the Taiko Audio Remote

The remote will soon be available at the App Store but right now it functions in switching between Roon and TAS as well as an option to use HQP or Emile's new player XD Player which is how I am using the functon

Several months ago when Emile had a pre pre pre alpha version of TAS, in order to play it he had to access our Extreme and disable Roon and activate TASr.......or vice versa. This remote function will save Emile and his team a lifetime of switching from one to the other

The beauty of the Remote as well as TAS is that Emile will have total control of giving us the very best and he is starting at a point now where honestly what I heard today was every bit as good and in some cases better than what we hear now with Roon. It was Emile's desire not to release an alpha version until SQ is the best of the best so the platform upon which it is based is "alpha" has many things that will be coming in the future,. In the meanwhile many things are absent but they know of all of this and all of the issues will be addressed in the future. So it is an open platform and with the use of the remote it is a simple matter to switch back and forth from TAS to Roon in about 30 seconds

So in this preliminary version their are many things presently absent but will be present in the beta version. For me the absence of a progress bar when music is playing was a bit of a nuisance but again this is an alpha version

Another different thing to report in TAS vs Roon is the length of time waiting for the next track to play. I discussed this with Emile and there is a reason for this lengthy delay.

From Emile
"We have developed an algorithm that removes network induced noise"
But it also makes locally stored files better
It also removes differences between cd rips
You know when you rip cd’s, or download or copy files
There can be differences in sound quality
This algorithm removes those differences
So the differences are only about the differences in the master itself
That we cant control, thats up to the studio who mastered it "

Presently we can access Qobuz but Tidal accessibility will follow shortly

The presentation is somewhat different than that of Roon but TBH it is very easy to learn. Ed provided a manual here on how to use the remote and TAS but it is easy to learn and all of the shortcomings noted above will be added soon

In summary whatvEmile cared most about now is SQ and all the other issues are being addressd

So How Does It Sound

TAS is simply remarkable in this infancy stage because I would be hard pressed to tell with certainty TAS vs Roon in a blinded test

Also here is what I also find remarkable....I am hearing little if any different between playing files from Qobuz or the same file played from my internal drives.
IOW we are now streaming files that truly are every bit as good as the same file on our internal drives

I was in my sound room all day and only just emerging because the sound is mesmerizing

And here is the "rest of the story"........TAS includes buffers for PCM and DSD so everyone can tune the sound to their preference.

I have been playing all day with my PCM and DSD buffers in the "auto"position to give me a feel for TAS before I use buffers. Tomorrow Emile has told me what settings to try

Finally in this the Alpha version I have been able to play 44.1 all the way to 352.8 and DSD to DSD512 without a glitch

Kudos truly to Emile and his team for pulling this off in such short fashion. This is a work in progress and the interface will change as this, ,like Roon is a work in progress". Unlike Roon however which is becoming top heavy with code Emile's interface is designed such that SQ will not suffer.

My closing initial thoughts.......You hit a "walk off home run Emile". To bring this from an idea to fruition in an alpha version in just under 6 months is a feat unto itself. behind the curtains we should all raise our hands and give a huge round of applause to Winston, your coder who has created something as good or better than Roon is now

Tomorrow and in the following days I will give feed back on the use of buffers a this is system specific. My Lampi uses Amanero and newer versions use Xmos. Emile found issues when he connected to my system with 44.1 using the buffers he preferred but at my end I did not have those problems

In summary, the cost of ownership of an Extreme does not come cheap but I can tell you that the pride of ownership is extraordinary because coming soon on the heels of TAS and Taiko Remote is Emile's USB board and after that his external switch. So as you can see Emile's product development shows him in complete control of what he can deliver to our ears and this alpha version simply kills it

I have said before that TAS is the path that I will follow and I look forward to its growth and Emile's success. We all thank you Emile

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
The most important thing to glean from my impressions is that Emile will always strive to deliver the very best SQ in what we hear and he will do this by controlling his server rather than being dependent upon Roon and what we found has come to suffer. The interface although similar is not Roon which we all like but I have faith in Emile and his team to develop the very best of interfaces to go with his server.

So yes, La Creme De La Creme

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing