Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Uwiik

Mar 2, 2021
Also make sure you select the "Taiko Audio USB Device" with subscript "ASIO" as your output device. Disable all the other outputs ("System output" and whichever has subscript "Wasapi").

You can also have Roon perform the first unfold of MQA if so desired, for the second unfold you do need a DAC with MQA decoding.
Hi Emile,
Is there any SQ difference in doing so? Taiko USB “WASAPI” is the only one (USB) that produces actual sound in my system, if I enable Taiko USB “ASIO” and use that for outputting audio, even the play button on the Roon is grayed out and nothing is happening.

Uwiik

Mar 2, 2021
Hi Emile,
Is there any SQ difference in doing so? Taiko USB “WASAPI” is the only one (USB) that produces actual sound in my system, if I enable Taiko USB “ASIO” and use that for outputting audio, even the play button on the Roon is grayed out and nothing is happening.
Don’t worry about above question. Nothing that a lot of swearing and resetting can’t fix. It’s working as intended now, USB ASIO, 32 bit, Native, etc…….. happy happy happy

Reactions: Taiko Audio

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
Don’t worry about above question. Nothing that a lot of swearing and resetting can’t fix. It’s working as intended now, USB ASIO, 32 bit, Native, etc…….. happy happy happy
I think you're finding out that Roon has it's own set of idiosyncrasies that aren't addressed in their skimpy FAQs or almost non-existent set up guide.

"But sir, that's not a bug, it's a feature!"

Good luck,

Steve Z

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Hi Emile,

Yes ASIO tends to sound better.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Hi Emile,

Some DACs require a reboot after connecting before ASIO support is enabled. I'm not sure why exactly, most DACs just work straight away and are truly plug&play.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Changing latency/buffer size in the Settings Dialog could also do the trick.no gurantee that it works

Christiaan Punter

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
Roon Update 880 has bug(s)

There is a lot of chat on the Roon Community Web Forum about serious problems

So make sure automatic updates are turned off in Roon, and do not install Build 880

Reactions: Christiaan Punter

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017

So make sure automatic updates are turned off in Roon, and do not install Build 880
I have update 880 running without issues. Maybe I'm lucky.

kswanson27

Nov 21, 2018

kswanson27

Nov 21, 2018

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
And how do you turn off Roon auto updates?
Settings > About > click sprocket next to Core or Remote. I had to look as I never changed mine.

Attachments

• screenshot_01 2.png
    screenshot_01 2.png
    161.2 KB · Views: 8
  • screenshot_02 3.png
    screenshot_02 3.png
    199.6 KB · Views: 8

2ndLiner

Dec 16, 2015
When I attach to Roon

Thanks, Ed! When I transfer to Roon I’m instructed to update to Version 1.8, Build 831. Stear clear of this, as well?

kswanson27

Nov 21, 2018
Let's wait till our friends at Roon have 1.8 fully sorted and stable

It should not take them too long
Too late for me but everything's working fine, at least for the time being. But it's good to know you're there to help! :))

7ryder

Jan 31, 2015
Just be aware that unless you have a clean backup from before the update, don't try rolling back to a previous version. This update converts the database and it isn't compatible with previous versions. Side effects include lack of album and artist artwork & pictures. If you have rolled back and don't have a stable backup, once you update to the most recent version, it will sort itself out (for the most part).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing