Symphonie Fantastique/Munch/BSO 1954 Versus 1962

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Perhaps one of our classical music experts can help untangle this.

Munch conducted the Boston Symphony Orchestra playing Symphonie Fantastique both in 1954 and in 1962. I think the 1954 recording is known as GCS-6 (BMG). I think the 1962 recording, released by RCA as a Living Stereo, is LSC-1900.

I think Michael Hobson of Classic Records re-issued the 1962 performance, but not the 1954 performance.

Who has both of these performances on vinyl?

Which performance do you think is better musically?

Which recording do you think is better sonically?

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
The 1954 was LSC-1900. It was one of quite a few RCA recordings that were made in stereo before stereo records were pressed. That didn't start until 1958 (Decca has a similar history). Specifically, the 1954 was not released in stereo in vinyl until much later. It was released in mono as LM-1900. However, it was released on tape, as were many of the early stereo recordings. Hobson released it in stereo in the 1990's when he did a lot of reissues on his Classic Records label. LSC-2608 was the 1962 recording with the same artists (Munch conducting the Boston Symphony). This was done near the end of Munch's tenure as MD of the BSO. When I came to college near Boston in 1963, that was when Leinsdorf took over the BSO. The BSO had a long tenure with RCA. There were several other very early RCA stereo recordings - Fiedler Gaite Parisienne, Munch Daphnis et Chloe, StraussR Also Sprach Zarathustra which were rerecorded by RCA in the early 1960s, with the same artists. Maybe a few more that I don't remember. I had all of the originals at one time in my collection. Another early recording, the Brahms Piano Concerto 1 by Rubinstein was never issued by RCA in their full price series, but issued by Hobson, similar to the Berlioz. It was issued on one of their bargain labels. The early recordings I mentioned are the first five RCA Living Stereo numbers - LSC-1806 Also Sprach, LSC-1817 Gaite Parisienne, LSC- 1831 (not issued in stereo) Brahms Piano Concerto 1, LSC-1893 Ravel Daphnis et Chloe, LSC-1900 (not issued in stereo) Berlioz Sym Fantastique. If you can find an early mono of LM-1900, it has some pretty risque artwork.

Please correct if anything is wrong here. I have the later catalogue numbers for the rerecordings if anyone wants them.

Larry

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
The 1954 was LSC-1900. It was one of quite a few RCA recordings that were made in stereo before stereo records were pressed. That didn't start until 1958 (Decca has a similar history). Specifically, the 1954 was not released in stereo in vinyl until much later. It was released in mono as LM-1900. However, it was released on tape, as were many of the early stereo recordings. Hobson released it in stereo in the 1990's when he did a lot of reissues on his Classic Records label. LSC-2608 was the 1962 recording with the same artists (Munch conducting the Boston Symphony). This was done near the end of Munch's tenure as MD of the BSO. When I came to college near Boston in 1963, that was when Leinsdorf took over the BSO. The BSO had a long tenure with RCA. There were several other very early RCA stereo recordings - Fiedler Gaite Parisienne, Munch Daphnis et Chloe, StraussR Also Sprach Zarathustra which were rerecorded by RCA in the early 1960s, with the same artists. Maybe a few more that I don't remember. I had all of the originals at one time in my collection. Another early recording, the Brahms Piano Concerto 1 by Rubinstein was never issued by RCA in their full price series, but issued by Hobson, similar to the Berlioz. It was issued on one of their bargain labels. The early recordings I mentioned are the first five RCA Living Stereo numbers - LSC-1806 Also Sprach, LSC-1817 Gaite Parisienne, LSC- 1831 (not issued in stereo) Brahms Piano Concerto 1, LSC-1893 Ravel Daphnis et Chloe, LSC-1900 (not issued in stereo) Berlioz Sym Fantastique. If you can find an early mono of LM-1900, it has some pretty risque artwork.

Please correct if anything is wrong here. I have the later catalogue numbers for the rerecordings if anyone wants them.

Larry
Lol,

earlier today Ron and i were talking on the phone and he asked me about these two Munch recordings. i told him i have no idea, that's not any kind of thing i would know, but maybe ask Larry (astrotoy), and here we go with the answer.

perfect.

not sure if Ron asked you to comment, or if it was organic. but love the answer none-the-less.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Perfect, Larry! Thank you!

What do you think "GCS-6 (BMG)" means? (I know BMG is Bertelsmann Music Group.)

What does GCS-6 have to do with LSC-1900?

Which musical performance do you like better?

Which do you think is the more realistic recording?

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
I haven't compared the two recordings, maybe I did some time ago, but I don't remember. I'm sure the Classic Recording was new when I got it and I did buy both the 33 and the 45 versions. The later version I definitely bought used, and I don't remember the condition. Both are gone as well as the rest of the vinyl collection. I did buy a tape (15ips 2 track) of the early version, which is a dub from a production or safety master from my Canadian source of classical tapes. That sounds very fine.

I think RCA generally did an excellent job in their early stereo recordings and their early tapes. I have a fair number (maybe 40+ reels) of early RCA 7.5ips 2 track tapes commercially released in the '50s, many before the stereo LP versions were released. One of them, the Gaite Parisienne by Fiedler and Boston Pops has the price printed on the front cover, $14.95, which was at the time around four times the price of the mono LP. It is stereo as are almost all of the RCA 2 track tapes I have. So then as now, buying precorded tapes (particularly 2 track tapes) are not for everyone. Lot more bang for the buck buying LPs.

In the early days, the mic number and placements were much simpler, so mixing was easier, and also not as much to mess up.

The GCS-6 designation is the catalogue number of the 7.5ips 2 track tape, recorded in November, 1954 and released in April 1956, the same time as the mono LP, LM-1900. This info is from Discogs. Bertelsmann had no relationship with RCA back in those days. So I don't know why BMG should be listed with the tape catalogue number.

Just to be clear, RCA itself never released the Berlioz as LSC-1900, but did release the album in the 1980's in a low price reissue series as AGL1-2706 and then again as AGL1-5203. When Hobson released his Classic Records reissues of the Living Stereo, he included several titles that were never issued by RCA in stereo. These included both the Berlioz and the Brahms Piano Concerto as well as several Decca engineered albums commissioned by RCA, which never were issued in the US in their Living Stereo series. I found the catalogue detail on the first line in Discogs also.

Larry

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Wow! Thank you, Larry!

You are way better than ChatGPT!

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Thanks, Ron. I think that is a compliment. :) Larry

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The standard for this symphony is the decca argenta, Columbia Cluytens, and the RCA Monteux

to know the origins of a recording, such is this is 1954/55 and was released in mono LM 1900 and reissued by classic records in 1994, and the GCS number on tape, you have to click on discogs

Perhaps one of our classical music experts can help untangle this.

Munch conducted the Boston Symphony Orchestra playing Symphonie Fantastique both in 1954 and in 1962. I think the 1954 recording is known as GCS-6 (BMG). I think the 1962 recording, released by RCA as a Living Stereo, is LSC-1900.

I think Michael Hobson of Classic Records re-issued the 1962 performance, but not the 1954 performance.

Who has both of these performances on vinyl?

Which performance do you think is better musically?

Which recording do you think is better sonically?

Last edited:
Reactions: Ron Resnick

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I finally listened last night (on Don's system) to the 1954 recording. I thought it sounded great! I'm pretty sure I prefer both the sound and the performance to Chesky CR1 (Freccia conducting).

Which is your favorite Symphonie Fantastique recording?

DeYoung

VIP/Donor
Feb 20, 2019
KY
My favorite has always been a 1978 recording done by Lodia with Carlos Piata and the London Symphony.
Here's a Grand Prix Du Disque winning performance that might not be everyone's cup of tea, but i find it to be an exhilarating one.
A real "barnburner" as the comments in this link say....I have to agree.

https://www.allmusic.com/album/berlioz-symphonie-fantastique-mw0002870422

th-982068926.jpg

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France

1695311526046.png Sir Colin Davis conducting the LSO. Live recording from 2000. Thoroughly recommended

1695311730801.png A different take: Mitropoulos, NY Philharmonic from the 50s

Of the two Munch recordings above, I prefer the older one.
Regards

ps: sorry about the fonts. No idea how to correct it

emoonie

VIP/Donor
Aug 16, 2021
Monterey CA
1695314473076.jpeg
One of my favorites. It may lack flow and immersion of my other faves (Earlier Munch and Monteux) but for me it keeps my interest with its energy and passion. A worthy contrast. YMMV I don't have it on vinyl and my CD was remastered by Wilma Cozart Fine before they released the titles on SACD.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing