SUT for Ypsilon VPS-100

Steveo

Oct 2, 2021
Hi all. Any experience with using a step-up other than the Ypsilon SUT for the VPS-100? I have a Kondo SFz SUT with interest in possible matching.

advanced101

VIP/Donor
May 3, 2017
A few of us use Dave Slage's Intact or EMIA Step ups. If you are in the US he offers free demos. I would recommend the silver version if it is in your budget.

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I believe a member here uses Phasemation cart and SUT w his Ypsilon pre.

Steveo

Oct 2, 2021
Thanks advanced101 and spirit. Are these options known to be sonically superior or possibly offer greater flexibility?...in that the Ypsilon is factory-set. I now own the Kondo, and should it have the potential to bring out the best of the VPS-100, I may be able to swing the cost on a used unit.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I'll try and get this fellow to respond himself.

pcosta

Jul 26, 2010
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
The match of the SUT is with the cart, if you have that right all else should be good. I have the Kondo SFz with IO M and the Ypsilon and I hear no problems, the Ypsilon will tell you what is ahead in the chain. I have tried and used many other SUT's with the Ypsilon and never had any problems. Quality SUT's always shine through, some are better than others and if the SUT works well with your cart you will know that. Different characteristics come from different wire eg: silver vs copper, different ratios and maybe some have loading options.

Rensselaer

VIP/Donor
Mar 23, 2021
I do not know anything about the Kondo SUT, but can give you the details of my Phasemation T-2000 SUTs (pair, one for each channel) so you can compare with that of the Kondo.

I use a set of Phasemation T-2000 SUTs with my Ypsilon VPS100. Phasemation says the best cartridge match would be 4 ohms, but also say anything with 1.5-40 ohms will work. The load impedance of the Ypsilon matches what Phasemation says is needed, i.e. 47k ohms. The T-2000 ratio/voltage gain is 26db and handles frequencies between 10-100kHz. The Phasemation works very well with the VPS100

Rensselaer

VIP/Donor
Mar 23, 2021
Steveo, I don’t know if you’re still interested, but there is great information about SUTs on the second “Similar Threads” thread below; “Phono stages, SUTs, and cartridge loading …etc.“. Please check out #11 & #15 by bazelio, and #26 by Atmasphere as they might between them give you everything you need to know regarding SUTs.

scot

Jan 4, 2018
Hi steveo

The Emia SUT is supposed to be a great SUT. Steve Slagle (one of the owners of myemia.com). builds them to be a perfect match to your favorite cartridge. He uses 80% Nickel (aka Permalloy) transformers. He has two versions, copper or silver. The consensus on this forum is, the silver one sounds the best. They very rarely come up on the used market. He will even send you one to try built to your cartridges specs! They also have a great reputation for great customer service. Best of luck. Take care.

Best regards
Scot

Steveo

Oct 2, 2021
Thanks to all for the excellent input. I would ideally continue to use the Kondo, but Emia looks to be an affordable option. Regarding the Ypsilon, having no experience with it, does it perform to the level the reviewers claim? Any who may have compared it to Audionet PAM G2 w/EPX?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing