Superstream setup guide

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Hi guys,

I decided to make a setup guide for my streamer device described in this thread:

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?19221-Streamer-to-kill-the-big-boys-for-under-250

There's not much to the setup. It will actually work fine just popping the USB drive in and powering up with no configuration at all. But this is for those who want to optimize performance, and disable some of the power sucking, noise creating bus systems.

Heres the sequence of steps involved:

1: Plug the power adapter in
2: Plug HDMI cable into monitor or TV
3: Plug mouse and keyboard
4: Press power button and hold in the F2 key on the keyboard until you come to a visual bios screen like this:

image.jpg

This first screen is the home screen for the BIOS.
Under boot order, make sure UEFI boot is checked under UEFI. Under Legacy, make sure it's not checked.

5: Click on the advanced button at the bottom. Set it up exactly the same as the picture:

image.jpg

6: Under secure boot, just make sure all is unchecked:

image.jpg

7: Click up top on Devices and peripherals. Make sure USB legacy is checked as well as the first 3 USB ports enabled on the right:

image.jpg

8: Click on SATA and uncheck Chipset SATA:

image.jpg

I'm only allowed 5 pictures per post so will continue on the next post.

Last edited:

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
9: Click onboard devices and setup exactly as pictured:

image.jpg

10: That's it for Bios setup. Just press F10 to save and exit.

11: Unplug Keyboard, mouse and monitor.

12: Plug DAC into one of the rear USB ports, and USB stick with the OS on it in the front USB port.

13: Power up and that's it. Enjoy beautiful sounding AirPlay and HQplayer/Roon sound :)

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Here's how to make the bootable USB drive for the OS:

1: Once you receive the zipped Superstream image file, on a Windows computer, Right click and extract all. Extract to somewhere you can find it.

2: Download the Rufus application from here: https://rufus.akeo.ie/

3 : Put 16gb or bigger USB stick in computer, and open Rufus

4: Select your USB stick at the top, GPT partition scheme for UEFI, Fat 32, and DD image beside "create a bootable disk using" just like in the picture:

Screenshot (1).png

5: Press the little disk icon to the right of "DD image" to find the Extracted "Superstream" image. you will need to select "All files" on the bottom left like in the picture:

Screenshot (2).png

Then navigate to where you have "Superstream" and open:

Screenshot (3).png

6: On the bottom of Rufus press start, and OK when it says it will overwrite everything on disk. Wait till finished and that's it. Eject stick and ready to go.

Rufus can also make the bootable USB direct from the Zipped folder. This makes it a bit easier, however it's much slower.

Last edited:

lateboomer

Oct 22, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
Hi Blizzard,

Thank you for the no-brainer setup guide, I wish a lot of forum posters will do the same rather writing once-upon-a-time story guide, print screens are how I guide my parents to use computer. I am eagerly waiting for my NUC streamer from Amazon.

Anyway, the guide wouldn't be complete without HQplayer configuration setting guide, I hope you will put it here. I am first time user of HQplayer Desktop which I just installed to my i5 Windows laptop last night under trial version. I hope the setting is easy.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Hi Blizzard,

Thank you for the no-brainer setup guide, I wish a lot of forum posters will do the same rather writing once-upon-a-time story guide, print screens are how I guide my parents to use computer. I am eagerly waiting for my NUC streamer from Amazon.

Anyway, the guide wouldn't be complete without HQplayer configuration setting guide, I hope you will put it here. I am first time user of HQplayer Desktop which I just installed to my i5 Windows laptop last night under trial version. I hope the setting is easy.

I'm glad you like it. I will do that right away. But for now I already went over this on this thread. Same applies for settings with my streamer. Just choose Network Audio Adapter for backend.

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?19241-Nadac

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Hi Guys,

First thing to check if for some reason you're not establishing connection between server and streamer is if you have a firewall or something blocking things. As with any streamer, commercial, or not, you can't have firewalls blocking network connections. Best way to check is to look in explorer on Windows for "Superstream" under networks. On OSX, look for "Superstream" on the left in finder:

Screenshot (11).jpg supers.jpg

Last edited:

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Hi Guys,

First thing to check if for some reason you're not establishing connection between server and streamer is if you have a firewall or something blocking things. As with any streamer, commercial, or not, you can't have firewalls blocking network connections. Best way to check is to look in explorer on Windows for "Superstream" under networks. On OSX, look for "Superstream" on the left in finder:

View attachment 24287 View attachment 24288

Mike, I can see the Superstream from my main office PC (Win7), but not from my music server PC (Win8.1). Where would I start to try and figure out why they can't see each other - in my Router or on the music server PC? I can't get into the Firewall on my music server (it seems to be corrupted).

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Mike, I can see the Superstream from my main office PC (Win7), but not from my music server PC (Win8.1). Where would I start to try and figure out why they can't see each other - in my Router or on the music server PC? I can't get into the Firewall on my music server (it seems to be corrupted).

If you can see it on 1 computer and not the other, it's probably the firewall. If it's corrupted, I would uninstall it. Even better, what I would do since you have 8.1 installed, is make a Win 10 boot USB, and do a clean win 10 install. Much better anyways. Runs HQplayer smoother as well. Works fine with the Windows firewall. Very secure firewall built into win 10 as well.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
If you can see it on 1 computer and not the other, it's probably the firewall. If it's corrupted, I would uninstall it. Even better, what I would do since you have 8.1 installed, is make a Win 10 boot USB, and do a clean win 10 install. Much better anyways. Runs HQplayer smoother as well. Works fine with the Windows firewall. Very secure firewall built into win 10 as well.

Installing Win 10 (via boot USB) now...

Thanks, Mike!

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Installing Win 10 (via boot USB) now...

Thanks, Mike!

Perfect! Let me know how it goes! Just make sure you format the drive and do a clean install. Don't do the upgrade or you will run into issues.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Perfect! Let me know how it goes! Just make sure you format the drive and do a clean install. Don't do the upgrade or you will run into issues.

I did a clean install. Only problem is, nothing has changed with regard to what other computers I can see. Looks like I can only see other Win10 machines. In case this is relevant (and I have a feeling it is):

I use a workgroup to connect to other PCs. When Win7 first came out, I couldn't get the Homegroup thing to work, especially not with a WinXP machine that I needed to connect to, so I went with Workgroups.

I don't see any Workgroup option. I haven't turned on Homegroups because my gut tells me that won't help. I've turned on all the network discovery and file sharing options I could find. I have NOT disabled the Firewall.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
I did a clean install. Only problem is, nothing has changed with regard to what other computers I can see. Looks like I can only see other Win10 machines. In case this is relevant (and I have a feeling it is):

I use a workgroup to connect to other PCs. When Win7 first came out, I couldn't get the Homegroup thing to work, especially not with a WinXP machine that I needed to connect to, so I went with Workgroups.

I don't see any Workgroup option. I haven't turned on Homegroups because my gut tells me that won't help. I've turned on all the network discovery and file sharing options I could find. I have NOT disabled the Firewall.

Any ideas?

First of all, let's make 100% sure the Superstream is on the network. Do you have an apple device? Try AirPlaying to it. Just make sure it's on and connected to your DAC. If you have the Tidal app on your phone, simply start a song, and click the AirPlay icon on bottom left, and find Shairport Sync on Superstream. Press and you should have sound out of the DAC. Of course make sure the phone is connected to the Wifi on the same network.

image.jpg image.jpg

Another way that works with all audio on the phone is simply swiping your finger up from the bottom of the screen.

image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
First of all, let's make 100% sure the Superstream is on the network. Do you have an apple device? Try AirPlaying to it. Just make sure it's on and connected to your DAC. If you have the Tidal app on your phone, simply start a song, and click the AirPlay icon on bottom left, and find Shairport Sync on Superstream. Press and you should have sound out of the DAC.

View attachment 24390 View attachment 24391

Superstream is showing up just fine on my main office pc (which I'm typing on at the moment). But yes, I can play from Tidal from my iPad to the Superstream and it works (very cool, by the way).

I did some research and found there are lots of network discovery bugs with Win10 and I think I'm a victim of that.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Superstream is showing up just fine on my main office pc (which I'm typing on at the moment). But yes, I can play from Tidal from my iPad to the Superstream and it works (very cool, by the way).

I did some research and found there are lots of network discovery bugs with Win10 and I think I'm a victim of that.

Okay. We have confirmed everything is working fine with the Superstream. So don't worry about seeing it on the network list. It will probably pop up there later. Just install HQplayer and set backend to Network Audio Adapter, and Device to your DAC. Of course all the settings as I recommended in the link I sent you. I'll post an no brainer HQplayer setup tutorial right away

Last edited:

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Okay. We have confirmed everything is working fine with the Superstream. So don't worry about seeing it on the network list. It will probably pop up there later. Just install HQplayer and set backend to Network Audio Adapter, and Device to your DAC. Of course all the settings as I recommended in the link I sent you. I'll post an no brainer HQplayer setup tutorial in my subforum soon.

Well the problem is I can't see my various NASs either (where not only do all my music files reside but my 'key' for HQPlayer etc.). Very ironic that my Win10 PC is sitting directly on top of my NAS (connected to the same switch).

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Well the problem is I can't see my various NASs either (where not only do all my music files reside but my 'key' for HQPlayer etc.). Very ironic that my Win10 PC is sitting directly on top of my NAS (connected to the same switch).

I have that problem too sometimes. But I can find them by typing in the network address of the NAS in explorer. Look on the computer that can see it to find the IP.

Or if you have a Qnap NAS, you can install Qfinder:

https://www.qnap.com/i/en/utility/

And it finds it right away. Then I make a shortcut to the folder on my desktop. Maybe there's similar utilities for other NAS brands as well.

Do you have your NAS set up as a SAMBA server? That's the only way it will pop up under networks.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I have that problem too sometimes. But I can find them by typing in the network address of the NAS in explorer. Look on the computer that can see it to find the IP.

Or if you have a Qnap NAS, you can install Qfinder:

https://www.qnap.com/i/en/utility/

And it finds it right away. Then I make a shortcut to the folder on my desktop. Maybe there's similar utilities for other NAS brands as well.

Do you have your NAS set up as a SAMBA server? That's the only way it will pop up under networks.

I have Synology NAS's and they all just show up as if they were PCs... but in any case direct mapping in Roon worked (e.g. \\diskstation\flac) and I'm building a new library now.

So HQPlayer will magically find the superstreamer just by setting it to Network Audio Adapter? I'll try that and see if it works...

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
I have Synology NAS's and they all just show up as if they were PCs... but in any case direct mapping in Roon worked (e.g. \\diskstation\flac) and I'm building a new library now.

So HQPlayer will magically find the superstreamer just by setting it to Network Audio Adapter? I'll try that and see if it works...

Yes if the Superstream is powered on and connected to the DAC and network, it should find it automatically. It will be just like the DAC is connected direct to the server, just select Network Audio Adapter instead of ASIO for backend.

But one thing to be aware of. Always start the Superstream before HQplayer. Don't start the server, open HQplayer, then power up the Superstream. If for some reason HQplayer can't find it. Power down both, fire up Superstream first, then the server. Open HQplayer and it should find it.

Also, make sure you don't have an apple device synced to the AirPlay. When AirPlay is synced to the Superstream, the NAA is disabled, and vice versa.

Last edited:

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I'm up and running!

I'm very impressed with the way this all works. You're a clever man, Mike. Thanks for all the help!

I'm not sure what to make of the sound quality though. It's super-clean, but very different tonal balance. I'm coming from a very warm, tube-like sound (with slow bass) with some grain to something that's fast and spunky and super clean, but I feel like I want some more meat on the bones. Do any of the HQPlayer settings affect tonal balance?

I'm also not getting a strong sense of depth.

These are just initial impressions. I reserve the right to change my mind. :)

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
I'm up and running!

I'm very impressed with the way this all works. You're a clever man, Mike. Thanks for all the help!

I'm not sure what to make of the sound quality though. It's super-clean, but very different tonal balance. I'm coming from a very warm, tube-like sound (with slow bass) with some grain to something that's fast and spunky and super clean, but I feel like I want some more meat on the bones. Do any of the HQPlayer settings affect tonal balance?

I'm also not getting a strong sense of depth.

These are just initial impressions. I reserve the right to change my mind. :)

Excellent! No problem.

But are you using the optical? How about ultra clean power supply powering the streamer side FMC and Streamer? These are huge. I found the optical degraded sound without clean power.

And yes play with the settings on hqplayer, they all affect tonal balance. What settings are you using now? My recommended settings were for the DAC's I have experience with. Might be different with yours.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing