Subs with CR 1

dafos

Sep 17, 2010
Joe, I noted that you've mated two f 113 subs to your TAD CR 1. Just wondering what crossover frequency you chose, what's your volume setting on the subs and are you using the CR 1's full range? Also, did you start with two subs? I'm curious since I've been auditioning a single f 113 mated to my Magico Mini with pretty amazing results.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Hi,

I have the subs but I am not using them. I had them hooked up with my Nola Micros and crossed over very low. Since getting the CR-1's, I don't feel the need to use them. I may eventually hook them up, but it will not be for a while.

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
I DO use subs with my CR1's. Dual REL G1's, crossed over at 20Hz (it does not have a very steep dropoff), volume setting is 3 on both.

The subs really are not essential with the CR1's, I mainly get more of the deep deep visceral bass which I love :). Blended with the CR1's through use of a microphone and REW, system goes flat down to 15Hz.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Wow! How did you manage to get down flat to 15Hz with subs that are rated above 20Hz -6dB in room? Do share :D

My room is 11 meters long and I still get an approximate 4dB dip at 25Hz.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I don't doubt that you did it, I'm asking how. If you don't mind that is :)

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
Thanks :). No preamp or bass trapping, just panels on the side walls (graph is @ 1/3 octave smoothing). I do correct the 5 peaks up to 300Hz with parametric EQ ahead of A/D conversion (within Pure Music on the macmini), but the measurement is without EQ - I wouldn't be able to live without digital EQ! This is the smoothest I could get these speakers in this room after many many trails.

setup_final.jpg

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
Subs are connected to the power amp terminals, a feature of REL subs they called 'high level input' and they recommend for 2-channel stereo use. Allows better blending as the subs take on more of the sonic character of the system.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Jack, no idea, just plugged them in and down to 15hz they go!

I'd rather be lucky than good! Although the good do tend to be luckier more often! Good job man. :)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Getting to 15 ok, flat to 15....... really lucky. The room would have to have some sort of alignment of the stars in terms of physical properties.

David

Aug 11, 2012
Thanks :). No preamp or bass trapping, just panels on the side walls (graph is @ 1/3 octave smoothing). I do correct the 5 peaks up to 300Hz with parametric EQ ahead of A/D conversion (within Pure Music on the macmini), but the measurement is without EQ - I wouldn't be able to live without digital EQ! This is the smoothest I could get these speakers in this room after many many trails.

View attachment 4384

Hi

What a nice room and setup !

lucky man !!! Congratulations ...

David

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing