Studer A730 and D730 CD player

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
These 16/44.1 RedBook CD players sell for more than $2000 on eBay regularly when you can buy the latest Oppo 95 for $999. :confused:

Other than the usual Studer build quality and use of the Philips DAC chip (TD1541?) for broadcast equipment, I can't relate to why these +20 year old players are in such a high demand.

Have I missed something?

Has any of the forum members actually used the Studer CD player and can comment on its sonic performance in comparison to more modern disc players?

Last edited:

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
Toshiba HD DVD player VS Meridian 526 CD player

I am not a digital fan guy but still play with CD sometime, I took over my kid's Toshiba HD DVD player (around $100 today's value) to play CD vs Meridian 526 CD player (over $2000 10 years ago which I paid), now I let my friend to have the Meridian because I don't need two CD player
tony ma

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I would bet that you are paying for the name "Studer"

Can I re-phrase it?
You are paying for the fact that Studer do not put their name in anything that it is not state-of-the-art in build quality. And also for their scarcity and their unusual cue system.

This hobby has many aspects - one of them can be just collecting. I have a good friend who is an hifi collector - he has a very large house full of high-end systems. Every time he visits me he covets my Revox tuner - I can imagine that if it was a Studer A726 I would have to hide it!

ANTONO810

Aug 30, 2020
I have a studer A730. It has a very good sound, detailed, clean, without being cold. Possibly today there are better DACs ... or not.

Reactions: je2a3

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
I have a studer A730. It has a very good sound, detailed, clean, without being cold. Possibly today there are better DACs ... or not.
I did an image search on your unit, and I'm in love.

Good industrial design sells.

Reminds me of the old Grassroots Motorsports article comparing the track times of a modern minivan Vs an old Porsche 356 convertible.

Minivan had better track time, but which would you rather drive to enjoy the fall colors in?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing