Speakers for Kondo Ongaku... Please Help

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Iirc you are using miniDSP digital in/out with presumably 4 channels DAC after?

It is interesting how few DSP loudspeaker management devices ( aka digital crossovers ) offer digital input and output. I have wondered if an AES67 ( Dante / Ravenna ) setup with a crossover on Aoip input and output is around....
As Bill noted, I use two stereo DACs; a Metrum Octave mkII on the midbass and a Monarchy Audio M24 DAC on the high horn. Both are R2R (Metrum has unknown chips, 8 per channel and Monarchy has the awesome BB PCM63K). The Metrum feeds an Ayon Spark and the Monarchy feeds 300b monos from Taiwan (based on WE91 and designed by Thorsten Loeasch).

I only want to do digital if I have control of the DAC and amps that come after the processing. I learned this playing with the Behringer DEQ2496 which is a damn good digital processor if you go digital in and out and then use reclockers to remove jitter.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
One way around all this would be either a laptop or pc or audiophile server running your chosen crossover (preferably FIR based) made in Acourate or various other choices and then outputting via USB to a mch dac - there are various pro ones to choose from.
The DAC choice is , IMO, more important than the digital processor as long as it has sufficient floating point bits. A SHARC or similar FPGA will suffice...and good alogorithms. I haven’t heard many people DACs that are very good.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
One way around all this would be either a laptop or pc or audiophile server running your chosen crossover (preferably FIR based) made in Acourate or various other choices and then outputting via USB to a mch dac - there are various pro ones to choose from.
True. And in this case you could use an Aoip soundcard and DAC input ( both made for example by Lynx ). But as for standalone DSP it still seems rare. Note: I am not saying AES67 AoIP sounds better than, say, USB. Just that it might be nice to try.

And also, like @morricab having control over DAC and amp is pretty critical. I was imagining a chain of server ( or DAW ) to DSP to digital 'interface' all AES67, then output of digital 'interface' as whatever digital format the preferred DAC's want.

Sorry for OT posts ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing