Speaker review suggestions

Jeff Fritz

[Industry Expert]
Jun 7, 2010
Hi guys,

I'm embarking on a short series of speaker reviews and have a slot open. I wanted to see what suggestions you have. I'm interested in new speakers not written about everywhere else. Something floorstanding and full range -- price points of $10k up to $100k or more will work.

Just installing the new PBN Sammy tonight: Be tweeter, Illuminator mids and Revelator woofers, in a D'Appolito-like array with a stacked-MDF cabinet with a very unique internal geometry. On paper quite the contender for $29,500/pr.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Nola Baby Grand Reference. or maybe the new Metro.

iampaddy

Aug 9, 2010
Surrey, England & Côte d'Azur
I just heard a pair of Marten Audio Coltranes powered by Darzteel NS18 / 108 combo, sounded unbelievable. One of the most stunning setups I have heard......rest of the kit was GP Monaco T/T with DV507 + DRT XV-1, and Vitus SP-101 Phono. Plus Linn Klimax DS.

So Marten Coltranes would be nice, maybe in comparison to the Rockport Altairs and the Kharma Exquisite Reference in a sub $100k Speaker shootout...........

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
I would love a review of horning eufrodite ultimate, a horn with a difference. Anyway I have not seen u review any horn speaker as far as I knw

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
I feel a bit cheeky suggesting this as it was recently reviewed here in the UK by Alan Sircom.
However it did make me realise I have never seen this speaker or any of the same models (there are 3 in the family) reviewed before.

The speaker in question is the Dynaudio Consequence Ultimate Edition, and is interesting due to the design philosophy with the bass at the top and tweeter bottom of the speaker (although I would be curious if this may cause a sighted perception bias relating to imaging/soundstaging).

This also benefits from being an updated design as well; it did not exist (the other 3 models did) back in 2009 according to the retail price book published by one of my favourite UK dealers.

Now with the Kef Muon finally selling out, makes you wonder if the Kef Blade will now go into limited production - would be mad IMO not to.

Cheers
Orb

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Zu Definition 2 or high end Audio Notes. You really haven't auditioned much that is high efficiency in some time.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
No idea if these are any good, but its interesting as they are the new design from Franco Serblin, who was founder of Sonus Faber.
His new speaker project is the Ktema:
http://www.francoserblin.it/ktema/specifications.php

Cheers
Orb

Interesting. So it appears he's left SF?

I find it funny that he has a picture of a person playing a turntable on his website. When he was over a couple of years ago demoing his speakers, I asked him about his source material; he replied that he only uses digital recordings to design his speakers :)

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
LOL,
well the marketing also seems to need to gear up a bit as well, not sure how to take the pdf brochure for the Ktema, maybe he can relax a bit more with this project and its coming across on the site.
From what I understand (so this could be very wrong) he has left SF, the person now in charge was responsible for pushing for the development and selling of the SF Fenice, which goes away it seems from the traditional roots.

More worrying is that a reliable dealer that I buy from has heard the Fenice and is rather unimpressed, this dealer is involved in providing and setting up some of the high end demos and also gear for reviewers, he is also a SF dealer who has a lot of respect for the current models.
So we will have to see what happens in the future with SF and whether the change at the top will have any further affects.
Also I did not appreciate this but the Fenice is much larger than the current Stradivari homage (seems nearly 2m high and just under 1m width and depth), it takes up a lot of room, which for some is ok but for others also not ideal.

In the meantime we got Franco developing this new project and will be interesting to see where this goes as well, looks a nice speaker IMO.

Cheers
Orb

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
One of the full range models of the PX series of Sound Lab electrostatics.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Jeff Fritz,

I know i'm asking a lot...hey, you asked!...but i have really enjoyed all-out shoot-outs. in 1994, Jack English @ Stereophile did a shoot out at Sound by Singer in NYC between the JM Labs Utopia Grand and the Wilson X-1/Grand Slamm. (Having just traded in for a Wilson X1, i did my research and read everything in print about them prior to auditioning myself). Commercially, the 'loser' probably wont be very happy, so i understand these may not engender friends and supporters in the audio industry...but they're great to read from a consumer's perspective! While most of us have gone thru the trouble of listening to one flagship or another at some point...few of us have the opportunity (or can realistically get a dealer to go thru the braindamage) of a full-on flagship shoot-out.

Shoot-outs i'd love to see? Alexandria v Arrakis, Magico flagship v YG Anat Prof II, Alexandria v Evolution MM3. At a slightly less vaunted level, i would be curious to see CLX paired with 2 Descent subs against Maxx III...really giving the CLX a fighting chance (with equipment from same designer) to go full-on, full-range. While nothing replaces hearing for yourself...i have learned a lot whenever reviewers add a final section comparing equipment to other comparables.

The Bogg

Jul 28, 2010
I'd love to see a review of the ATC EL150 either passive or active. Or any of their other large models. I have the Anniversary 100 towers and will likely move up in the line in the future. I'd be interested in hearing how the larger ATC speakers compare to your "reference" products such as Wilson or Rockport.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing