[SOLD] Berkeley Alpha Reference DAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
DAC is in very good condition with 2 very hard to see scratches on the rear of the right side.

Asking $12,000 o.b.o.

Will be going to Audiogon soon.

S O L D !

Last edited by a moderator:

scouter

Member Sponsor
Oct 30, 2012
Wrightsville Beach, NC
I've seen a few of these popping up lately. Surprising, considering the rave reviews. May I ask why the sell? Just not your cup of tea? BTW, soooo envious of the Magicos:)

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I've seen a few of these popping up lately. Surprising, considering the rave reviews. May I ask why the sell? Just not your cup of tea? BTW, soooo envious of the Magicos:)

It's the best DAC I've heard. Beautifully detailed without any digital artifacts. I'm only selling it because I'm in a financial predicament. I've listed a bunch of things on Audiogon and if enough items sell I might be able to keep this but I'm not overly optimistic.

scouter

Member Sponsor
Oct 30, 2012
Wrightsville Beach, NC
Know the feeling with the extended tax deadline coming up. If it came down to selling digital or analog, I'd sell digital too. BTW, Magico owner here too (S5). Good luck- can't imagine not selling at that price. Have you ever heard the Ms on any Spectral gear?

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
It's the best DAC I've heard. Beautifully detailed without any digital artifacts. I'm only selling it because I'm in a financial predicament. I've listed a bunch of things on Audiogon and if enough items sell I might be able to keep this but I'm not overly optimistic.

Did you buy those XS 150's I saw for $27k ? If so I'm jealous....Smokin' deal

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Know the feeling with the extended tax deadline coming up. If it came down to selling digital or analog, I'd sell digital too. BTW, Magico owner here too (S5). Good luck- can't imagine not selling at that price. Have you ever heard the Ms on any Spectral gear?

I am so hooked on analog that I hardly listen to digital, although the new Roon software is awesome.

No, never heard the M's with Spectral (although I did try to convince another forum member to bring his over in vain). I did hear the S5s with Spectral and loved it.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Did you buy those XS 150's I saw for $27k ? If so I'm jealous....Smokin' deal

I did! I'm going to finally find out if they are better than my XA160.8s...

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
Congrats Ian!! I figured it was you. :) I hope the XS-150's exceed your expectations.

Best of luck,
Ken

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Congrats Ian!! I figured it was you. :) I hope the XS-150's exceed your expectations.

Best of luck,
Ken

Thanks, Ken. You played a role in convincing me to try them. :)

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
Thanks, Ken. You played a role in convincing me to try them. :)

Hi Ian,

I really hope they work out for you. I'm thinking the synergy should be off the charts with the XS Pre and the treble and midrange should be much more refined. But if not, I'm pretty sure you could sell them to Mark at Reno for little to no loss.

Best,
Ken

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
I had a gut feeling. Congrats ! I'm sure the XA 160.5's will sell quick. You got a great deal.

Hi Christian,

I think Ian has the XA-160.8's now and I'm pretty sure he'll hold onto to them until he's 100% sure that the XS-150's offer a noticeable improvement. ;)

Best,
Ken

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Hi Christian,

I think Ian has the XA-160.8's now and I'm pretty sure he'll hold onto to them until he's 100% sure that the XS-150's offer a noticeable improvement. ;)

Best,
Ken

I would expect a Class A/B amp to honestly work better than the XA series as Magicos arent really designed for Class A amplification. Is the XS Class A/B?

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
I would expect a Class A/B amp to honestly work better than the XA series as Magicos arent really designed for Class A amplification. Is the XS Class A/B?

XS.8 is class A, X.8 is A/B. He really needs the X600.8 with 1200 watts @ 4 ohm. They play in class A for the first 100 watts or so.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

'splain yerself, please?

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

Very starnge statement care to explain? Allow me to be extremely skeptical...

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I don't know about Magicos but what Keith says is true about panels. So if Magicos are similar to drive...

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
'splain yerself, please?

Class A amps really aren't optimal driving difficult impedance swings and by all accounts, the Magico Q series (and presumably M Pro) have them. in several ways they are similar to tube amps. I'm not saying it can't work, I just believe A/B would be more optimal. i don't know much about the XS line to be honest- I have owned the X250.5 which was excellent on my lower efficiency Dynaudios.

But I'm in Bud's camp- and would use 600.8s in the Pass line or look to other Class A/B amps that double down into 2 ohms- as I believe those speakers spend quite a bit of time down there. You might reach out to Magico for an impedance curve.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
DIfficult impedance swings is precisely why Logan and such people prefer AB instead of Class A, with Passlabs, or with Lamm M2.2 as opposed to M1.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing