Single-Ended Triode (SET) Amplifier Revolution of the 1990s. Did it really happen? Was it Successful?

G T Audio

I cannot image anyone here would be in anything other than agreement with that sentiment ...However my point stands.
I have answered your point, but you must have missed it. It is not so much what I have done, but what others have not done. Having said that, there are some aspects of the design that are unique, which if you are not an amplifier designer, or if you have not had experience in circuit design you would not know about. Just looking at the parts used is no indication of the implementation, or the resultant audio performance, just as fitting a set of Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tyres to your car isn't going to make it perform like a GT3.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I would hope AC would be quiet seeing as they make their own horn speakers. KR Audio only use a SET in their output stage. Their driver stage is solid-state so not a true SET amp as most would acknowledge.
While it is true that KR are hybrids they are still single ended from beginning to end. I have heard transistors used in this manner to very good effect. Until I heard AC, KR was probably my overall favorite single ended amp...they just sound really good. I am also fond of Ayon products (SET only models). I haven’t had the chance for a serious audition of Tron but will do so someday.

TheMooN

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
I have answered your point, but you must have missed it. It is not so much what I have done, but what others have not done. Having said that, there are some aspects of the design that are unique, which if you are not an amplifier designer, or if you have not had experience in circuit design you would not know about. Just looking at the parts used is no indication of the implementation, or the resultant audio performance, just as fitting a set of Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tyres to your car isn't going to make it perform like a GT3.
Dear Me! Why are you reacting in such a peevish, tetchy manner , as tho I had made some sort of sniffy remarks about the quality of your amplifier design and build implementation?

I have not missed any point that you have made, quite the opposite , and have responded with plain facts and fair comment, yet you resort to questioning my grasp of electronics and amplifier design without the slightest idea of who you are addressing.... An auto defence mechanism has obviously kicked in!

You are the manufacturer of a particular SET amplifier who boldly claimed that you are the only designer who has implemented the use of SET amplification for use with a high sensitivity transducer that is fit for purpose, and by default disparaging a number of other very fine manufacturers and their products.

Last edited:

Atmasphere

[Industry Expert]
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
Yikes.

Reactions: TheMooN

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing