Simaudio 850p

Arrow

Nov 16, 2022
Does anyone have experience with Simaudio 850p? If so, what's your thought and how does it compare to other high end preamps?
thanks

ctydwn

Aug 23, 2019
Hi @Arrow,
Welcome to wbf or at least to your first post.
imho the 850p is an incredible preamp. I moved up from the 740p to the 850p and honestly the 740p sounded broken in comparison. It was the move from the 740p to the 850p that I first understood that it is possible to have music without longer term fatigue. I was smitten. I used this in combination with the 780d and the 870a amp and later 860a v2 monoblocks.

That all said, I tried Lampizator Pacific direct to my amps and bypassed the 850p, I still preferred the 850p in the system as my post below described. Today, I am running the Lampizator Horizon and I have to be honest the difference with the 850p in the system or direct to amps was so small, I could longer justify holding onto the 850p. The linestage section in the Horizon, in my system/room, is phenomenal. I do hope Simaudio perhaps will introduce a new preamp in the near future as the 850p was introduced over 10 years ago now. The only other comparable preamp I did compare the 850p to at the time directly was the Audio Research Ref10. I preferred the 850p perhaps in part due to system synergy.
Hope that helps a bit.

Last edited:
Reactions: christoph

Arrow

Nov 16, 2022
Hi @Arrow,
Welcome to wbf or at least to your first post.
imho the 850p is an incredible preamp. I moved up from the 740p to the 850p and honestly the 740p sounded broken in comparison. It was the move from the 740p to the 850p that I first understood that it is possible to have music without longer term fatigue. I was smitten. I used this in combination with the 780d and the 870a amp and later 860a v2 monoblocks.

That all said, I tried Lampizator Pacific direct to my amps and bypassed the 850p, I still preferred the 850p in the system as my post below described. Today, I am running the Lampizator Horizon and I have to be honest the difference with the 850p in the system or direct to amps was so small, I could longer justify holding onto the 850p. The linestage section in the Horizon, in my system/room, is phenomenal. I do hope Simaudio perhaps will introduce a new preamp in the near future as the 850p was introduced over 10 years ago now. The only other comparable preamp I did compare the 850p to at the time directly was the Audio Research Ref10. I preferred the 850p perhaps in part due to system synergy.
Hope that helps a bit.

thanks ctydwn.
I am on a similar path. I have an 850p already, running an 860a V2. I upgraded from 740p and shared your opinion. I couldn't listen to the 740p pairing with the 860aV2. I am thinking of getting a MSB or DCS dac and read that many people are going straight to the amp. Hence I am trying to justify keeping the 850p. I don't have the dac yet so ultimately i have to listen to see. I love the 850p. But I don't know too many people with that preamp so wanted to see what people think. Thanks again for your reply

Reactions: ctydwn

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing