Shunyata Power Cable for an Audio Research Ref 3?

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I have had such good luck with the Shunyata cables I figured I would look for any advice or recommendations for the Ref 3.

Any suggestions?

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I have had such good luck with the Shunyata cables I figured I would look for any advice or recommendations for the Ref 3.

Any suggestions?

I am using a anaconda on my Ref 5SE. If you can get away with a short length, what I would do is get an anaconda umbilical for $2K (list) which is just a tad shorter than the 1.25m regular cord that sells for $3K (list). I know there is some article in which Caelin advises against using too short a cord, but I ordered an anaconda umbilical to use between the wall and my Triton and have been advised this should be no problem at all.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I am using a anaconda on my Ref 5SE. If you can get away with a short length, what I would do is get an anaconda umbilical for $2K (list) which is just a tad shorter than the 1.25m regular cord that sells for $3K (list). I know there is some article in which Caelin advises against using too short a cord, but I ordered an anaconda umbilical to use between the wall and my Triton and have been advised this should be no problem at all.

Isn't the standard size for Shunyata power cables ~6 feet (1.75m)?

coopersark

May 24, 2013
As Caelin had mentioned before, perhaps on another forum, the short cable lengths are fine for his power conditioners and Typhons but not for a component's ultimate performance. In your application it is fine.
For a preamplifier, a longer length will prove to be a better performer. I used a Shunyata 6 foot long King Cobra CX power cable on my Audio Research Ref 3 (and now Ref 5SE) to excellent effect.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Good info guys. Would a Venom 3 type cable even be an improvement?

coopersark

May 24, 2013
Good info guys. Would a Venom 3 type cable even be an improvement?

According to the good folks at Shunyata, the stock power cords on contemporary Audio Research equipment is way above the industry average for their quality. They have told me that it is comparable to their Venom level power cords. All I can tell you is that if you use a higher line Shunyata, you will gain a noticeably improvement in your Ref 3's performance. I would not use anything less than a Python level power cord with your Ref 3 preamp. Be patient and save until you can take that kind of leap. It will be well worth your patience and anticipation!

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
According to the good folks at Shunyata, the stock power cords on contemporary Audio Research equipment is way above the industry average for their quality. They have told me that it is comparable to their Venom level power cords. All I can tell you is that if you use a higher line Shunyata, you will gain a noticeably improvement in your Ref 3's performance. I would not use anything less than a Python level power cord with your Ref 3 preamp. Be patient and save until you can take that kind of leap. It will be well worth your patience and anticipation!

Thanks.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
If you are trying to save a bit...you could also consider the Anaconda CX, it's still a killer good cord and used around $1000...

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
As Caelin had mentioned before, perhaps on another forum, the short cable lengths are fine
for his power conditioners and Typhons but not for a component's ultimate performance. In your application it is fine.
For a preamplifier, a longer length will prove to be a better performer. I used a Shunyata 6 foot long King Cobra CX power cable on my Audio Research Ref 3 (and now Ref 5SE) to excellent effect.

I'll have a REF 5SE, an umbilical and a standard length anaconda's to play with so I'll probably try for myself if I hear a difference.

Price/Performance is also a consideration. Even if it turns out an umbilical is not as good as a full length anaconda, but it beats the similarly priced full length Python, it is still a good cord to get if you're budget constrained. Lots of variables....

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Of course you could upgrade to 3.7's for the cost of some of these cables. Just a thought...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing