Shunyata on Stillpoints

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
I will say one thing, I'm amazed at the way the sound changes so drastically depending on what you use to support the Typhon. There's no listening carefully to hear the differences. I've settled on putting them on a Zoethecus amp stand with Stillpoints Ultra 5s between the Typhon and platform.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I will say one thing, I'm amazed at the way the sound changes so drastically depending on what you use to support the Typhon. There's no listening carefully to hear the differences. I've settled on putting them on a Zoethecus amp stand with Stillpoints Ultra 5s between the Typhon and platform.

Very very interesting. As we have discussed, I found after experimenting with a few different damping, cones, supports (Finite Elemente, Stillpoints Ultra 5s, Ultras, HRS Nimbus/Coupers, M3, Vibrapods, even tennis balls, leaded weights a long time ago), I have found that Ultra 5s in combination with HRS nimbus/couplers are my favourite for power sources/transport. (For now on signal sources (DAC/Pre), I am still using HRS Nimbus Couplers/M3.

Somehow, while I found the Ultra 5s were a bit leaner in my system on their own (even the Stillpoints dealer could hear where I was coming from in my room)...I ultimately could not give up their exceptional clarity, improvement in timing (eg, syncopated rhythms between instruments became so obvious and clear, it was wonderful) and bass delineation and extension without a fight. Fortunately, after hours of experimenting with placement, I found that using HRS in combination with the Ultra 5...I managed to get all the benefits of the Ultra 5s (which are better than any of the things I have tried at what they do well)...plus the deep tonality I savor in my upper bass thru mids that 'returned' when I added the HRS nimbus/couplers to the Ultra 5s.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Very very interesting. As we have discussed, I found after experimenting with a few different damping, cones, supports (Finite Elemente, Stillpoints Ultra 5s, Ultras, HRS Nimbus/Coupers, M3, Vibrapods, even tennis balls, leaded weights a long time ago), I have found that Ultra 5s in combination with HRS nimbus/couplers are my favourite for power sources/transport. (For now on signal sources (DAC/Pre), I am still using HRS Nimbus Couplers/M3.

Somehow, while I found the Ultra 5s were a bit leaner in my system on their own (even the Stillpoints dealer could hear where I was coming from in my room)...I ultimately could not give up their exceptional clarity, improvement in timing (eg, syncopated rhythms between instruments became so obvious and clear, it was wonderful) and bass delineation and extension without a fight. Fortunately, after hours of experimenting with placement, I found that using HRS in combination with the Ultra 5...I managed to get all the benefits of the Ultra 5s (which are better than any of the things I have tried at what they do well)...plus the deep tonality I savor in my upper bass thru mids that 'returned' when I added the HRS nimbus/couplers to the Ultra 5s.

Lloyd, where do you place the HRS couplers in conjunction with the Stillpoints. I might give it a try.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Lloyd, where do you place the HRS couplers in conjunction with the Stillpoints. I might give it a try.

Hi Frank,

From the top down, I have the Unit, then 4 HRS Nimbus/Couplers, and then 4 Ultra 5s...and in one case with 4 Ultra bases. In all cases, the Ultra 5's narrow end is facing up (not facing into the ground). I have tended to find that placement underneath the unit is very critical...it makes a big difference, and when you place the unit on top, you can sometimes feel intuitively where the weight distribution needs to be.

Further, I have found that HRS double-thick damping plates can also work really well also...though I have found in some cases a combination of Artesania damper and Ultra 5 (fat side down on top of the unit) can also help.

And when I get it right, and I knock along the top and sides and front of the unit, I get this very uniform solidity to the unit that makes the unit seem abnormally solid and dense without having a ring or an innately muffled sound. My Zanden is a hollow thin sheet metal which really, really rings when you tap it...like a toaster...but placed within this 'isolation sandwich' configuration, and now its like I tapped the side of a brick wall...its kind of bizarre...but it really works. And no change to tonal character or anything else. But again, you may need to micro-adjust the placement of the feet to get it just so.

For example on my CJ, I found that an unbalanced setup worked better than 'visually centering everything'...only when someone showed me a photo of the inside of the unit did I realize that my feet and damping plates more or less had a similar unevenness as the layout inside the unit.

Good luck and hope that helps somewhat.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I hate to admit it, and it goes against what I believe possible, but the UK distributor of Stillpoints/Entreq put 3 Ultra SSs under what is a passive grounding box in the form of the Entreq Silver Tellus. And I'll be blowed, but did the soundstage tighten up, transparency increase, yada yada yada, ie all the good stuff. It's just an inert box full of minerals and metal, so what gives?
So, can well imagine would work under Shunyata.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I hate to admit it, and it goes against what I believe possible, but the UK distributor of Stillpoints/Entreq put 3 Ultra SSs under what is a passive grounding box in the form of the Entreq Silver Tellus. And I'll be blowed, but did the soundstage tighten up, transparency increase, yada yada yada, ie all the good stuff. It's just an inert box full of minerals and metal, so what gives?

I think many people underestimate the value of vibration elimination/control under most anything audio component related.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I have heard that exact demo...and agree. The ultra SS made a very nice improvement over the floor here.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I think many people underestimate the value of vibration elimination/control under most anything audio component related.

I would certainly agree with that.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

I know I did. I thought I had paid attention to it the first iteration 3-4 years ago...4" thick birch ply shelves, 2" thick slate, HRS Nimbus/Couplers and an Auralex platform for the sub. And then came the first (of many) Ultra 5s...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing