Shindo amps

flm09

May 1, 2020
Hi,

I am interested in the Cortese 300b stereo amp and since it has volume pots and I mainly use one source do I still need a preamp?

Trab

Apr 3, 2017
Cracow / Poland
Hi,

I am interested in the Cortese 300b stereo amp and since it has volume pots and I mainly use one source do I still need a preamp?

Hello,
my opinion is, of course you can use only power amp.
But, volume control pots in Shindo amps are intended only to match output signal with preamp and speakers. Those are small pots, not convinient to everyday use. Also you are soon going to get mad trying to adjust channel balance every time you change the volume. Those small pots are sensitive for small movements and often you will have to go second, third time to get the volume and channel balance right.
Shindo preamps give you harmonically richier sound, so I would think of preamp/amp combination as a final solution.

Cheers,
Greg

Reactions: the sound of Tao

flm09

May 1, 2020
Hello,
my opinion is, of course you can use only power amp.
But, volume control pots in Shindo amps are intended only to match output signal with preamp and speakers. Those are small pots, not convinient to everyday use. Also you are soon going to get mad trying to adjust channel balance every time you change the volume. Those small pots are sensitive for small movements and often you will have to go second, third time to get the volume and channel balance right.
Shindo preamps give you harmonically richier sound, so I would think of preamp/amp combination as a final solution.

Cheers,
Greg

Ok that makes sense! Thanks!

Now I want to look for integrated with 300b driving an 845! Any recommendations?

DeadWax

Apr 11, 2020
Ok that makes sense! Thanks!

Now I want to look for integrated with 300b driving an 845! Any recommendations?
Take a look at the Line Magnetic Audio LM-845IA Premium.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing