SEC sues Tesla CEO Elon Musk for 'misleading' tweet

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
+1 This major ass has disparaged ex-employees who were let go and ended up at Apple, effectively calling them worthless

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
We don't have many "angels" walking the surface of this planet, but before Elon Musk crashes and burns many more should first.
Elon Musk is not alone playing unorthodox games.

All in all I hope he's learning important lessons because he has some good developing ideas right now.
He needs good advisers, people with solid heads and integrity, good lawyers.

Wish him the best, he deserves better. The good stuff get expanded by other companies, the bad stuff nobody wants; not me, not my sister, not my daughter, not my lover, not my family, nobody.

Car entrepreneurs and Twitter together can be a bad mix when driven on the wrong side of the road.

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
We don't have many "angels" walking the surface of this planet, but before Elon Musk crashes and burns many more should first.
Elon Musk is not alone playing unorthodox games.

All in all I hope he's learning important lessons because he has some good developing ideas right now.
He needs good advisers, people with solid heads and integrity, good lawyers.

Wish him the best, he deserves better. The good stuff get expanded by other companies, the bad stuff nobody wants; not me, not my sister, not my daughter, not my lover, not my family, nobody.

Car entrepreneurs and Tweeter together can be a bad mix when driven on the wrong side of the road.

live by the sword, die by the sword.

Wall Street money fueled Musk and Tesla, but there are rules to play in that arena, and now it might take Musk off the board. he likely felt untouchable, the billionaire's prerogative. how else to explain his reckless actions?

temporary stupidity can be fatal.

but he might not be convicted.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
On the other Tesla thread I posted that it is virtually impossible for me to imagine how “funding secured” is not false and misleading in violation of SEC Rule 10b5-1.

According to CNBC:

Under the terms of the deal, Musk and Tesla would have had to pay a nominal fine, and he would not have had to admit any guilt. However, the settlement would have barred Musk as chairman for two years and would require Tesla to appoint two new independent directors, reported CNBC's David Faber, citing sources.

Musk reportedly refused to sign the deal because he felt that by settling he would not be truthful to himself, and he wouldn't have been able to live with the idea that he agreed to accept a settlement and any blemish associated with that, the sources said.​

Musk is a genius, an entrepreneur, the next Edison, whatever. I happily will stipulate that.

But, in this instance, pulling out of this deal was incredibly stupid of Musk. In terms of the way the rule works Musk’s state of mind, and what Musk believed, is not the question. The question is when Musk tweeted “funding secured” would a reasonable investor have wanted to know that, in fact, Musk had not secured funding.

Applying facts to Rule 10b5-1 often is very complicated. This is not one of those situations.

On the facts as we believe them to be I believe that what Musk did is squarely and unequivocally violative of Rule 10b5-1.

The SEC, apparently, offered him what I consider to be a reasonable deal. He should’ve taken it.

(I do not have this opinion merely because I have a pulse and I read the news. I worked as an associate in the mergers and acquisitions litigation department of a giant corporate law firm engaged in takeover litigation where 10b5-1 questions arise in every single deal. Also, for 14 years at a hedge fund, I was the person responsible for conducting Rule 10b5-1 analyses.)

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
perhaps all Elon wants to do is retire and smoke dope all day :cool:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Obviously Elon read my post.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I was thinking that he has read Mike's post first, then this entire thread with all our posts. Steve was right by the way.

Steve said:
I believe he (Musk/Tesla) will be incur a stiff fine and I believe he will be removed from the Tesla Board
_____

The first paragraph from that article is important:

"Under the settlement, which requires court approval, Must will be allowed to stay as CEO but musk leave his role as chairman of the board within 45 days. He cannot seek reelection for three years, according to court filings."
_____

And your post added more of that legal aspect to it, Ron.
_____

* Elon Musk doesn't frequent WBF. :b ...That'll be the day.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing