May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Reactions: Vienna

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
I can see how such an image can be inspiration for a musical passage (or astrology).

Gustav Holst- The Planets, Full Suite

The Planets
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Planets
The Planets, Op. 32, is a seven-movement orchestral suite by the English composer Gustav Holst, written between 1914 and 1916. Each movement of the suite is named after a planet of the solar system and its corresponding astrological character as defined by Holst.
From its premiere to the present day, the suite has been enduringly popular, influential, widely performed and frequently recorded......................

The concept of the work is astrological[3] rather than astronomical ..........................

Last edited:

MasterChief

Jun 26, 2012
Sweden
the camera resolution is amazing. That’s why I asked

It was made by an amateur with amateur gear (high end telescope, but still a telescope and camera for the hobby photographer). It is amazing what the best amateurs can do today. Maybe the best amateur planet photographer is Damian Peach. Here is one of his pictures of Jupiter (taken with a pretty ordinary Celestron telescope):

Reactions: NorthStar

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
(taken with a pretty ordinary Celestron telescope):
Must have used some nice stabilization technology along with it I assume.

VSP (Vibration Suppression Pads)

$58.95
In Stock
Item #: 93503
https://www.celestron.com/products/vsp-vibration-suppression-pads
  • 3 vibration suppression pads go under your tripod legs to stabilize your telescope and prevent unwanted shaking
  • Made with Sorbothane® only available in the USA. Cheap imitations use silicon which do not absorb shock and may melt in the Sun.
  • Engineered by Celestron specifically to dampen vibrations
  • Works on any surface

I was sort of looking for something more advanced. Don't know what was used, maybe some software involved?

MasterChief

Jun 26, 2012
Sweden
Must have used some nice stabilization technology along with it I assume.

https://www.celestron.com/products/vsp-vibration-suppression-pads

I was sort of looking for something more advanced. Don't know what was used, maybe some software involved?

Vibrations is usually not a problem. The atmospheric disturbance, lights and Earths rotation are usually the biggest issues. So finding a dark place with perfect skies is critical to get the best images. A picture like the one above consist of over 1000 different exposures. There are some really advanced editing with several different and highly specialized software involved. And the cameras many of the best amateurs are using are purpose built only for astro imaging (for example, they are cooled way below zero degrees celsius to minimize noice). It is pretty common that both the mount and the camera are more expensive than the telescope.

Here is an interview with Damian Peach.
https://astronomy-imaging-camera.com/astrobio/astrophotographers-story-damian-peach.html

Last edited:
Reactions: ack and NorthStar

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing