San Francisco (near the wharf)

Number9

Oct 15, 2018
I just signed on as a new member here and I’m hoping someone can recommend a fine dine seafood restaurant. My wife and I will have an extra night and will be lodging somewhere near the wharf. We will be there Monday the 12th and I need to make reservations ASAP. The last time I was in this area I was 12 years old and on a summer vacation with my mom, dad and sister. I still remember the clam chowder soup and sourdough bread and since we have a wedding to go to about two hours south by car I wanted to seize the opportunity to relive that memorable experience. Thanks for any recommendations. BEST to all.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
My neck of the woods. On the wharf, Alioto's is more or less a SF landmark and I think is great. The restaurant proper, not the sidewalk vendor. Though you'd be surprised how great the "street food" is. On the higher end, try Scoma's. And for spectacular views, 15 minutes or so by Uber from the wharf is the Cliff House. Very classy, historic, and great food. It is also right next to Ocean Beach which, with the weather this weekend, would be a great spot for a sunset stroll. Have fun!

Number9

Oct 15, 2018
Thank you so much for the recommendations. I will Google and let you know how it goes.

Reactions: bazelio

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
The best on the wharf is Scoma's if you want a full restaurant other wise the little walk up stands on the street serve fabulous clam chowder but for the best dining experience on the wharf, Scoma's hands down. Same waiters there for 30 years

I love the Cliff House. Alioto's is more a tradition so definitely worth a try. But again Scoma's

Number9

Oct 15, 2018
Scoma’s it is. Table has been reserved. I will share my experience when I get back next week sometime. Thanks again!

Steve Williams

Did you look online at their menu.

Best recommendation is to take Uber both ways However it’s easy to miss Scomas because you have to turn down a side street to get there. They do have valet parking which I recommend otherwise there are parking lots everywhere.

Scomas is not inexpensive so if you’re going with a lot of people ...........:(

Have a look on the walls as you walk through it The Who’s who who have dined there. If you’re going to walk around fisherman’s wharf I suggest you park in one of the closest parking lots. There is a high rise lot across from Fishernabs Wharf or a parking lot right on the Whsrf. Everything is easily walkable. Scomas is about 2 blocks from the wharf

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I always liked Grotto #9

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Scoma's for sure. I've eaten at Gary Danko's three or four times since Steve recommennded it. It helps that it is a quick stroll from Ghirardelli which is where I always stay. While I have many friends who live in the Bay Area, I would have to say that Steve's batting average on recommendations has been 100% so far.

Reactions: Steve Williams

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'm gunning for October in SoCal Steve! :D This time I shall not be denied!

Steve Williams

I'm gunning for October in SoCal Steve! :D This time I shall not be denied!

Next October. You're on Jack

Id like to take you and Marge to The Hobbit which is a very unique restaurant but has to be booked months in advance so when you know I will book

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
BBook for Elevenses then! LOL I'll know the dates quite late however. Perhaps August at the earliest. Aaaahh I miss being self employed!

MtnHam

Industry Expert
Jan 12, 2014
Nothern California Wine Country
With the exception of Steve's suggestion of Gary Danko, I have to disagree. Fisherman's Wharf is for tourists. But since that's what you are, perhaps that's what you want. As a long time resident of SF(starting in 1968) I rarely go to the Wharf; SF has many superior restaurants. Here is a list of the Top 100 according to Michael Bauer, a highly respected restaurant critic:

TOP 100 RESTAURANTS 2018
Eating is more than something we do before or after an event. In many cases, it is the event. Chronicle restaurant critic Michael Bauer celebrates the best of Bay Area dining in this, his 23rd annual guide. Whether it’s a classic taqueria or four-star restaurant, each entry adds something special to the dining scene.
https://projects.sfchronicle.com/2018/top-100-restaurants/#search

Steve Williams

With the exception of Steve's suggestion of Gary Danko, I have to disagree. Fisherman's Wharf is for tourists. But since that's what you are, perhaps that's what you want. As a long time resident of SF(starting in 1968) I rarely go to the Wharf; SF has many superior restaurants. Here is a list of the Top 100 according to Michael Bauer, a highly respected restaurant critic:

TOP 100 RESTAURANTS 2018
Eating is more than something we do before or after an event. In many cases, it is the event. Chronicle restaurant critic Michael Bauer celebrates the best of Bay Area dining in this, his 23rd annual guide. Whether it’s a classic taqueria or four-star restaurant, each entry adds something special to the dining scene.
https://projects.sfchronicle.com/2018/top-100-restaurants/#search

well of course he is and that is what he requested. I would never eat on the Wharf. Scoma is 2 blocks away and is a legend as is Gary Danko.Your top 100 are exceptional. My favorite restaurant on that list isn't even in SF and that is French Laundry which is Michelin ranked and is a must

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Whole grilled fish at Kokari, YUM! Oh, heads freak out Steve. LOL

Number9

Oct 15, 2018
Well as it turns out I have another (unexpected) meal planned with a college friend in the area. The name is Fog City Diner on Battery St. Unlikely to be on any top 100 list but still curious if any have ever done their brunch and can comment.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
It's a SF institution and a great breakfast spot right on the Embarcadero. Not everything need be on someone's top 100 list. Go and enjoy.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing