Roon Frustration -Again

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Been there. Done that. Never again!!
But 913 is way in the rear view mirror. It's 3 iterations later and 931 now. They probably did it just to piss us off.o_O
I seriously doubt they know exactly what they are doing when it comes to SQ :rolleyes:
...and search :eek:o_O:eek:

Reactions: Devg

Devg

Feb 16, 2020
Been there. Done that. Never again!!
But 913 is way in the rear view mirror. It's 3 iterations later and 931 now. They probably did it just to piss us off.o_O

and we all are still paying them to piss us more in future....they are probably laughing. it's a disgrace on us and they know it :p

• Haha
Reactions: christoph

thyname

Apr 22, 2019
N. Virginia
and we all are still paying them to piss us more in future....they are probably laughing. it's a disgrace on us and they know it :p
Who cares about the d-bugs overrunning ASR 2.0 (Roon Community Forums). To be fair, Roon folks (the company) keeps a neutral stance when dealing with the two groups of folks. Understandably so, as they in a business, and don’t want to piss off any group. Business is business. I would do the same honestly if I were running that business.

We pay for the service, and to me Roon is unparalleled in that space. As simple as that. Besides, my Roon is now “free”. I mean I purchased lifetime subscription over five years ago when price was $499. Already paid for itself.

Reactions: bryans

Devg

Feb 16, 2020
I seriously doubt they know exactly what they are doing when it comes to SQ :rolleyes:
...and search :eek:o_O:eek:

I am starting to think not only SQ but they don't know what they are doing with UI as well ;)

Here is a screenshot of what I am saying...note how it says "0 of 2593 albums". My screen is just as blank as those Roon developers are :rolleyes:

Screen Shot 2022-04-13 at 3.48.07 PM.png

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Will respectfully disagree. I paid a one-time lifetime fee of about $400(?). Roon changed my life. Worth every penny. The SQ has been up and down but thanks to Emile and a few other tricks like the JL Lampi board, I have no complaints now. I don't even think about it. If XDMS is better, great, but I'm quite happy using Roon for the way I listen to music.

Devg

Feb 16, 2020
Will respectfully disagree. I paid a one-time lifetime fee. Roon changed my life. Worth every penny. The SQ has been up and down and thanks to Emile and a few other tricks like the JL Lampi board, I have no complaints now. I don't even think about it. If XDMS is better, great, but I'm quite happy using Roon for the way I listen to music.

not everyone has an Extreme and Emile beside them and many are still on yearly subscription. The point is, for them its a wild goose chase if the SQ and other issues randomly crops up in every release. I have been a Roon user couple of yrs now and still think Roon is the best library management s/w that is out there but they are slowly loosing it....

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
I continue to be happy with the sound quality of Roon feeding HQ Player. The learning curve on HQ Player can be a bit steep, and a big CUDA sound card makes a big difference, but once everything is configured things don’t need to be fiddled with unless you change your dac.

Reactions: sbo6

Macattack

VIP/Donor
Aug 21, 2014
SC Low country
I am a lifetime ROON subscriber and it doesn’t owe me anything now. ROON has been a bit of a ride but I love it and am committed to it. I just bought a Antipodes K-50 because it is (or can be) ROON core machine. But I am using Squeeze on the Player side and it sound better to me. I could use HQ Player but not interested in the added complexity.

I love having the flexibility of server software and player software.

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
Can you or anyone educate me on SQ? I'm really curious on how someone can tell another what SQ is? I really am generally curious about this.

Macattack

VIP/Donor
Aug 21, 2014
SC Low country
For me, I am only providing my opinion on comparisons I have experienced. It may or may not mean anything to you.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Can you or anyone educate me on SQ? I'm really curious on how someone can tell another what SQ is? I really am generally curious about this.
This is an odd question. I was at Carnegie Hall last night listening to Yuja Wang. The sound of a piano in a concert hall is all you have to know to understand sound quality. If you can capture that at home with reproduced music, then you have outstanding SQ. Of course, none of us can, so it's all a matter of relativity to the sound of natural instruments in their performance space compared to what you hear at home coming from any reproduction medium; vinyl, digital, tape, etc. The more your system at home approaches references such as what you hear when listening to live music , the better is the "SQ". Does that help?

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
This is an odd question. I was at Carnegie Hall last night listening to Yuja Wang. The sound of a piano in a concert hall is all you have to know to understand sound quality. If you can capture that at home with reproduced music, then you have outstanding SQ. Of course, none of us can, so it's all a matter of relativity to the sound of natural instruments in their performance space compared to what you hear at home coming from any reproduction medium; vinyl, digital, tape, etc. The more your system at home approaches references such as what you hear when listening to live music , the better is the "SQ". Does that help?
She’s a marvellous musician… that’d be awesome, so good live music has returned back to life again.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
not everyone has an Extreme and Emile beside them and many are still on yearly subscription. The point is, for them its a wild goose chase if the SQ and other issues randomly crops up in every release. I have been a Roon user couple of yrs now and still think Roon is the best library management s/w that is out there but they are slowly loosing it....
For me, the folks at roon look like a bunch of guys who were surprised buy their success and are in way over their head :rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong, I really love roon for some things but the (rare) ups and (mostly) downs in SQ, the abyssmally bad search function, the re-introduction of already elimimated bugs and the instability drive me crazy :mad:

On the other hand, I really love the possibility to control various very different ecosystems (like Sonos, Squeezebox, their own RAAT, HQP, KEF LS50W and many more) with one single software.
I run up to 10 roon endpoints in very different systems in my home, from very serious to casual listening :cool:

Last edited:

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
a refreshing view;)

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
a refreshing view;)
An unenlightened one if you ask me. Anyone who knows Carnegie knows that row U is among the worst possible seats for a solo piano recital.
Why is he surprised the sound was muddled? Jim is an experienced listener. He should know that the configuration of a 9 ft Steinway Grand is such that it is designed to have the sound rise, not fall, from the soundboard due to the angle of the lid. He was sitting way too low to get any sort of decent sound.

The sound of Yuja Wang's piano 2 nights ago from Tier 2 was simply magnificent. Unbelievable power with clarity from her left hand, magnificent sparkle at the top, gorgeous middle. Everything from ppp to ffff (and she had plenty of that!) was as good as it gets. The guy next to me said her piano sounded better than Horowitz' or Rubenstein's at Carnegie. How he would know that is a mystery to me since audio memory is about 7 seconds. Even more impressive is that he remembered it when I can't remember what I ate for lunch yesterday.

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
. He was sitting way too low to get any sort of decent sound.
That was quite his point I think: at home he is always sitting in the right spot;) and no failing audio memory prevents him to revive Rubinstein etc. at his bidding

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Reactions: Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I have a lot of rooms and a lot of gear ;)
When you come from Lichtenstein we expect castles with a lot of rooms ;). Do you have a room endpoint in your toilet. I know of one member here who has a very good sound system in his toilet.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
When you come from Lichtenstein we expect castles with a lot of rooms ;). Do you have a room endpoint in your toilet. I know of one member here who has a very good sound system in his toilet.
There are only two castles in Liechtenstein and only one is inhabited.
By the Prince and his family.

No toilet system here...
...so far

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing