Roon "Error"

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012
I recently started having problems when streaming music using my Antipodes S30/S40 combination with a Chord Dave DAC. I control everything with an iPad. Usually within a minute or two of playing music I receive an error stating, "Roon has lost control of the audio device". I restart the song, but I continue to receive error messages to the point where I can't listen anymore. I use a Spectrum modem and router. Is the problem with Roon, my WiFi, or my S40? Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
I suggest reaching out to Roon on their forum. That would be a great place to start.

Is this a new issue? Has Roon been working until now? Any changes to your setup?

Reactions: PYP

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
Sometimes the order of startup can be important.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Also network settings can cause this bad network cables, settings for network cards and routers as well. This happens to me as well. Oddly at times I don’t get an error just music stops.

godofwealth

Feb 8, 2022
Using Roon with Chord Blu Mk2/M-Scaler+Dave and a Lampizator Pacific. No issues — occasionally Roon gets itself into a jam. They update it so often. Eventually it fixes itself. I don’t think I could ever rely on Roon 100% of the time for my music. It’s far too unreliable. The sound quality is also compressed far too often. But that’s why I keep my physical media around.

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
Using Roon with Chord Blu Mk2/M-Scaler+Dave and a Lampizator Pacific. No issues — occasionally Roon gets itself into a jam. They update it so often. Eventually it fixes itself. I don’t think I could ever rely on Roon 100% of the time for my music. It’s far too unreliable. The sound quality is also compressed far too often. But that’s why I keep my physical media around.
My advice is to use something else. If running Roon in your setup isn't up to par, why use it?

Fortunately for me I don't have those issues.

godofwealth

Feb 8, 2022
Roon is for me like FM radio. Lots of choices to listen to for music I haven’t heard. So I’m not particularly interested in its (lack of) sound quality. Kind of like an all you can eat buffet. You don’t expect Michelin star quality food at such a place.

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
Sorry but I haven't listened to Roon with Chord Blu Mk2/M-Scaler+Dave and a Lampizator Pacific so I can't comment on how it sounds in that type setup. Hopefully you can use some other music management SW that sounds better and functions better for you. Life's too short to listen to something you don't like. At least it is for me.

godofwealth

Feb 8, 2022
It sounds perfectly fine to me for everyday listening. But it’s not at the top rung of CD playback from a top class transport or from a top class vinyl table. But I grew up listening to FM radio everyday. That’s Roon for me now. Unlimited music 24/7. It’s like an all you eat buffet. You don’t eat at such a place expecting Michelin starred cuisine.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
check out your wifi performance, updated Roon might not be happy with your i-pad wifi connection. i'm sorting my wifi out now, and been having similar Roon 'no music playing' issues. my dac/server builder has determined my server is fine, and the issue is related to the i-pad network connection somehow.

i purchased new wifi and router hardware (my current wifi gear is 6-7+ years old) and my network engineer son is coming over this weekend to install it. hope that fixes it. my i-pad is only a couple years old...i-pad Air (3rd Gen) and i'm told just fine.

Last edited:

Labpro

Apr 13, 2020
Boston
For those Lampizator experts out there:

I have a Big 7 Mk1 with USB and SPDIF inputs.

I tried connecting my laptop to the Lampi USB port, and it won't play music through my system.....only thru the laptop.

So I assume I need Roon to play YouTube music videos from a laptop......using a "Type A to Type B" USB cable.

I've read some blogs that suggest that Roon does not recognize Lampizator.....not sure if that is still true.

Could someone give me a quick tutorial on how to play YouTube videos thru my system, using a Big 7 DAC?

Thank you.

OLADRA

Industry Expert
Aug 9, 2022
New Zealand
antipodes.audio
For those Lampizator experts out there:

I have a Big 7 Mk1 with USB and SPDIF inputs.

I tried connecting my laptop to the Lampi USB port, and it won't play music through my system.....only thru the laptop.

So I assume I need Roon to play YouTube music videos from a laptop......using a "Type A to Type B" USB cable.

I've read some blogs that suggest that Roon does not recognize Lampizator.....not sure if that is still true.

Could someone give me a quick tutorial on how to play YouTube videos thru my system, using a Big 7 DAC?

Thank you.
You cannot use Roon for YouTube playback.
Connecting your laptop via USB should work, do you have a PC, if so Windows drivers should be installed.. http://www.lampizator.eu/fikus/DOWNLOADS_&_LINKS.html
PS: I am not a Lampizator expert :)

Reactions: matthias and Labpro

Labpro

Apr 13, 2020
Boston

MRJAZZ

Industry Expert
Jan 20, 2014
check out your wifi performance, updated Roon might not be happy with your i-pad wifi connection. i'm sorting my wifi out now, and been having similar Roon 'no music playing' issues. my dac/server builder has determined my server is fine, and the issue is related to the i-pad network connection somehow.

i purchased new wifi and router hardware (my current wifi gear is 6-7+ years old) and my network engineer son is coming over this weekend to install it. hope that fixes it. my i-pad is only a couple years old...i-pad Air (3rd Gen) and i'm told just fine.
Did you ever sort out your "issues" with your iPad and your WiFi?......

I recently started noticing drop out connectivity issues with Roon and my various handheld smart tablets & cell devices.
Started approximately a few days after a Roon update. I would get this message.... " OH...SORRY THERES SOMETHING WRONG YOUR CONNECTION.... are you sure your device is on up and running and on the same network as your core?....
Or words to that effect.

Was driving me crazy. I tried numerous things ( turning off my various smartphones/tablets) to reboot them....doing the same with the core pc ( a Intel Nuc), all to no avail. The WiFi was still working ok when this would happen, and there were no other issues with using my WIFI for various other functions in my home ( streaming Tidal Connect, TV shows via various streaming sticks, etc.).
Anyway one thing I finally decided to try was to reboot my WI-FI on the smart devices when this error message popped up....and immediately I was able to get Room to connect, however it would only last for 15 or 20 minutes..... I did observe that the bar reading on these various devices wasn't maximum... Sometimes only 2 or 3 bars.....this got me thinking.
Maybe I need a WIFI extender to boost the number of bars.....Well bingo....problem solved.

Hopefully this will be of some use to someone should they encounter a similar issue.

Cheers....

td19

Sep 29, 2017
I would suggest you look at the Roon log. You may well find some clues there.

Labpro

Apr 13, 2020
Boston
Thank you for the advice. I will definitely keep this in mind as I figure this out.

Labpro

Apr 13, 2020
Boston
Heard from my favorite Lampizator dealer.

At this point, I’m simply connecting my laptop via USB to my Lampizator Big7, and not getting any sound?

Laptop, DAC and preamp volume are all on.

I even used NCS (not copy write sounds) from YouTube, thinking perhaps that is the issue.

Could it be the USB cable? I’m just using a cheep USB Type A to Type B cable, to see if I get any sound

msimanyi

Jan 13, 2023
Have you tried a few basics? (Sorry if these seem rudimentary...)

Does USB input from a non-computer work? (Streamer / Transport)

Do you have any other DAC to try accepting your computer output?

What operating system is your computer?

On my Lampi DAC, I don't use USB input... but the big lit button on the front is what I would press to select USB. How do you enable USB on your Big 7?

While there's a small chance the cable could be a problem, it's a long shot. Try swapping one and see if it helps. Also, inspect the USB plug on your Lampi, with a good light, and make sure there isn't dust or debris in there blocking proper contact.

Last edited:
Reactions: christoph

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
The issue of Roon drop-outs is not new. I think I read somewhere (Emile or Christopher?) that Roon is especially prone to crashing when the network speed is low. I upgraded from 400Meg to 1G (since Emile thinks that is preferred for best SQ) and the drop outs have decreased, but they have not disappeared completely. Its not a big deal but it does require a re-start of the Extreme to clear. Not sure if this is unique to Roon as I do not use XDMS (yet).

Last edited:

Labpro

Apr 13, 2020
Boston
Thanks for the advice. I’ll try the things you suggested and get back. What operating system do I need? Maybe time for a new computer also.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing