Rockport Lyra

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Hi John,
congrats on the new speakers. They look great. See you’ve made some other changes to including moving your rack to the side and stands for the HD amps. looking Forward to your impressions as the break in.
Hi, good eye. Yes on the racks and HD amp stands. Hope things are going well for you out west!

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Silverstone Trio amp stands from Grand Prix Audio ?

A sweet setup John! Enjoy in good health.
Yes, and with the formula carbon fiber shelves. Plus the newer donut shaped shelf dampers and the largest apex feet (I had the normal sized apex but the larger ones are better). I also have Grand Prix Audio platforms under the Transparent speaker cable networks.

IMG_0704.jpeg

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
VERY nice! I'd love to own those speakers, let alone the amp stands!

SuperDave

May 12, 2017
Texas
John,
That looks amazing! Smaller speakers, lighter carpet, bigger sound!!

Dave

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
VERY nice! I'd love to own those speakers, let alone the amp stands!
Thanks ! You'd be surprised about the stands. It's like a desert island thing. If you can only take a few things...what will it be?

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
John,
That looks amazing! Smaller speakers, lighter carpet, bigger sound!!

Dave
You're going to have to make a trip to Austin soon ;-)

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
New whole room pic. Took out the couch also and along with new carpet lowered the right side treatments. Speakers start the dial in process tomorrow via my dealer (Ne Plus Ultra - Austin, Tx).

It's been 24 hours of playing time, I can tell they are less congested. All the cables/equipment was moved for the carpet, so everything needs to settle down. I am sure the dial in process will yield some big changes. The resolution is to die for already.

IMG_0707.jpeg

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
John,

Besides the usual domestic and high-end system epithets, your room suggests serenity, tranquility, quietness, aplomb and temper - congratulations and enjoy!

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
John,

Besides the usual domestic and high-end system epithets, your room suggests serenity, tranquility, quietness, aplomb and temper - congratulations and enjoy!
Thank you ! Well said !

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Hi, a few comments now that they have ~3.5 days playing time and the dial in process is getting closer to being finished.

1st, speed and resolution
2nd coherence and focus
3rd weight and warmth on the notes (1 doesn't always go with 3 from my hi fi experience)
4th transferring of musical energy - this maybe the most impressive trait of these speakers vs anything else I've heard
5th all of the above applies top to bottom in the frequency spectrum.

I'm not really detecting much better imaging front to back or side to side vs the Altairs. The Altairs are champs here and the Lyra seem similar.

The Lyra are just simply wonderful. As for some of us wondering if 2 smaller front firing woofers would be worse than 1 large side firing, the Lyra's win here, deeper bass, speed, texture, fine gradations.

It was hard to let the Altairs go. Just such an amazing speaker. Rockport's newer technology delivers a different sonic experience. I'm thrilled with the Lyras ! I'll post more, I am sure I have a few weeks more of break-in and fine tuning of placement (via dealer)

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Great news, J.
Btw, the advice I got from you re ceiling treatments has finally happened here and has been wholly positive. You bear some small responsibility for getting me yet closer to a great outcome.
Look fwds to more Lyra reports.
Any itch for outboard subs?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Hi, a few comments now that they have ~3.5 days playing time and the dial in process is getting closer to being finished.

2nd coherence and focus
3rd weight and warmth on the notes (1 doesn't always go with 3 from my hi fi experience)
4th transferring of musical energy - this maybe the most impressive trait of these speakers vs anything else I've heard

I'm not really detecting much better imaging front to back or side to side vs the Altairs. The Altairs are champs here and the Lyra seem similar.

The Lyra are just simply wonderful. As for some of us wondering if 2 smaller front firing woofers would be worse than 1 large side firing, the Lyra's win here, deeper bass, speed, texture, fine gradations.

It was hard to let the Altairs go. Just such an amazing speaker. Rockport's newer technology delivers a different sonic experience. I'm thrilled with the Lyras ! I'll post more, I am sure I have a few weeks more of break-in and fine tuning of placement (via dealer)

Congratulations on a great beginning!

Reactions: jfrech

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Great news, J.
Btw, the advice I got from you re ceiling treatments has finally happened here and has been wholly positive. You bear some small responsibility for getting me yet closer to a great outcome.
Look fwds to more Lyra reports.
Any itch for outboard subs?
Good news on the ceiling treatments!

no itch. None. The bass is awesome.

Reactions: gds7368

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Good news on the ceiling treatments!

no itch. None. The bass is awesome.
Well J, it wasn't an area I was even considering...despite being sure the shape of my room wouldn't help acoustics. You can say I was a real skeptic back in the day.
But seeing your semi vaulted ceiling being treated did get me initially interested.
And as they say, the rest is history.
Your push in PMs got me started, another member here got the middle and finish sorted Lol.
I can't fail to be impressed by your new spkrs...of all the manageable box designs out there, these aesthetically rank w the best.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States

2nd coherence and focus

Great system. Congrats. Have heard wonderful things about the Nagra gear.

rnr

Sep 9, 2014
John congrats on your Lyra's arrival. They look great.Please keep us up to date on your review of them. Also how have you liked the new room arrangement. It all looks so clean and tight.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing