RIP Dr. John

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Sad news. Mac Rebennack, aka: Dr. John - Hall of Fame singer and songwriter who brought New Orleans to the world passed away Thursday age 77. “He created a unique blend of music which carried his hometown, New Orleans, at its heart, as it was always in his heart,” his family said of the Grammy-winning musician born Malcolm John Rebennack. Dr. John blended black and white musical styles with a hoodoo-infused stage persona and gravelly bayou drawl.

This one goes out to the Doc, RIP brother..

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
Very sad news...he was an amazing talent!

Reactions: Bodhi

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
My post from another forum:

I actually thought he was older. Having spent a few years in New Orleans, yeah, Dr. John, rest in peace. He was immersed in the music and culture to the max.

I remember seeing James Booker, too. He would appear drunk, curse out the white people with spleen and rage, and then sit down at the piano and do everything on the piano from perfect Beethoven sonatas to ragtime to jazz and rock. He'd stand up once in a while to Eff You the audience and white people some more. From Dr. John: "the best black, gay, one-eyed junkie piano genius New Orleans has ever produced."

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing