Rhapsody.Audio Listening Rooms

analyzer

May 20, 2016
Torino - Italy
The key to the "Pilium sound" is the combination of either of the two Pilium preamps (Ares and Alexander) and ANY of the Pilium amps. I have zero experience matching either Pilium preamps with other brand amps or the opposite.

The P link (connect the Pilium pre with any of their amps) which uses normal xlr's is the avenue to get the "Pilium sound". I would not have a clue on how the Pilium gear will match with other brands. When someone asks me the question I tell them that if you are NOT going to eventually go with both a Pilium pre and amp combination or the Pilium integrated amps I suggest they look at other alternatives.

It's not to say that the Pilium amps and preamps won't match with other brands, it's that we have no idea what they would sound like. Unless I know what something sounds like and have heard it personally I would never recommend it.
Thanks you for your prompt answer, I fully understand and agree with your considerations.
In the meantime my friend will reflect, a good deep sleep will bring his decision...
My best,
Marco

Reactions: Rhapsody

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
A few pics of the outside doesn't hurt, it's quite the lady built in 1878. It's on the corner directly across the street from Fort Greene Park. In the mornings from 7am-9-am 100 yards from my front door there is an area in the park where dog owners from the area bring their dogs and they run loose in a large area of the park. 100+ dogs running wild, having fun. For me it's all like I died and went to heaven:) I'm a lucky camper!

Here is a write up of the house https://www.brownstoner.com/architecture/building-of-the-day-1-south-portland-avenue/
Beautiful looking building.

Reactions: Rhapsody

Kingrex

Feb 4, 2019
The key to the "Pilium sound" is the combination of either of the two Pilium preamps (Ares and Alexander) and ANY of the Pilium amps. I have zero experience matching either Pilium preamps with other brand amps or the opposite.

The P link (connect the Pilium pre with any of their amps) which uses normal xlr's is the avenue to get the "Pilium sound". I would not have a clue on how the Pilium gear will match with other brands. When someone asks me the question I tell them that if you are NOT going to eventually go with both a Pilium pre and amp combination or the Pilium integrated amps I suggest they look at other alternatives.

It's not to say that the Pilium amps and preamps won't match with other brands, it's that we have no idea what they would sound like. Unless I know what something sounds like and have heard it personally I would never recommend it.
This seems to be more and more the sentiment with most new equipment. I just bought a new amp last week. I intend to use it with my current preamp. But my final intention is to get the matching preamp when funds are available.

bob82

Dec 13, 2019
I have been thinking of getting the Leonidas Integrated to drive my Rockport Atria II. Anyone heard the Pilium Audio with the Rockies?

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
NYC

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
NYC
I have been thinking of getting the Leonidas Integrated to drive my Rockport Atria II. Anyone heard the Pilium Audio with the Rockies?
Rhapsody has a customer in Texas that runs the Alexander pre/Achilles with the Rockports. I don't remember the exact model. No one in the US is using the Leonidas with the Rockports but it would have no issue driving any model of the Rockports. The Leonidas is a beast and will driver literally any speaker.

This is the thread with the Rockports and Alex/Achilles but that's it for now in the US anyway.

Last edited:

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
NYC
Just installed an Aqua Lascala DAC in the recent Alsyvox/Constellation installation. A funny thing happened. This couple had visitors over about a week ago. The visitors saw/heard the system and the wife wants to buy the speakers and a system to go with them for a Christmas/Anniversary present for her husband. They must not sound too bad.....

Attachments

• IMG_1194.jpg
    IMG_1194.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 11

Levitator

Jul 1, 2020
Just installed an Aqua Lascala DAC in the recent Alsyvox/Constellation installation. A funny thing happened. This couple had visitors over about a week ago. The visitors saw/heard the system and the wife wants to buy the speakers and a system to go with them for a Christmas/Anniversary present for her husband. They must not sound too bad.....
What a fantastic wife!

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
NYC

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Good thing she didn't like the Bose setup in her local Starbucks.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing