Review: Mobile Fidelity Shine-Ola CD Treatment

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I figured I would start the day with a brief, non-controversial product in the new formula Shine-Ola treatment for CDs from MFSL.

Some background: My friend and recording colleague Nick got some Ultrabit Platinum CD treatment and we started spraying our CDs with it and trying them and noticed some extra clarity. I was pretty skeptical at first but it seemed to work. However, I was a bit put off by the $80 price given that it comes in two small bottles.

This past weekend at APXONA I did find the Mofi version for a reasonable $20 (show special) for a small blue bottle of the solution plus a nice quality microfiber.

I decided to try it at home on the Romantic Russia XRCD from LIM in which Georg Solti plays Russian overtures with the London Symphony Orchestra. This is a high recommended disc by the way.

Results: After listening to the already clear and dynamic disc untreated, I sprayed on a layer of the solution holding it 12" from the CD. I then buffed off the solution using the supplied microfiber. I dropped the disc into the 777 which I use as a transport for CD playback and send the digital stream into a DAC1 (review in the works). The extra clarity was noticeable. Already great dynamics got better. The placing of instruments was better too.

So the verdict is that this Shine-Ola is highly recommended. It normally sells for $25 but try a bottle and see if you like it. I sure did.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing