Records to Die For 2020

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I’m very impressed it’s not just a list of Mofi. There are things I would listen to! This might be the hippest thing they have done in awhile.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I’m very impressed it’s not just a list of Mofi. There are things I would listen to! This might be the hippest thing they have done in awhile.

Oh yeah, this is actually cool!

Unexpected indeed.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
It’s very aimed at audiophiles... not saying that’s a bad thing. Some good stuff... but it does also have some very much daggier moments. I’d rather have an albums to die for list from the General... just sayin.

Last edited:
Reactions: rando and tima

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I'd prefer a list from the General, too, but come on man... This is adventurous for them. I'm not sure why you think it's "audiophillie" given that it starts with an electronic band from the late 90's...

Reactions: Al M.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Not just in classical or modernist jazz, but also there’s really not much in the way of cutting edge in contemporary jazz or RnB or indie or even electronica. The 90’s is actually up to 30 years ago. There is some good music in amongst it but humbly I don’t feel it’s a list (musically) worth dying for.

Last edited:

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Not just in classical or modernist jazz, but also there’s really not much in the way of cutting edge in contemporary jazz or RnB or indie or even electronica. The 90’s is actually up to 30 years ago. There is some good music in amongst it but humbly I don’t feel it’s a list (musically) worth dying for.

But you won't get a contemporary list from the General either, so I don't quite see your point.

No, the list is not worth dying for, but for Stereophile standards surprisingly cool.

Sometimes you take what you can get. If I can turn on a friend to something more adventurous, that doesn't mean I expect them to suddenly like my entire Stockhausen collection.

Last edited:
Reactions: the sound of Tao

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Al, just said it was mixed, and a bit more skewed towards the sonic than the musical. I don’t think that there is anything wrong with it just that it is not that adventurous or explorative or contemporary... that’s all. Let’s face it, we’re all fossils... sigh... even the millennials amongst us are getting on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Al M.

zerostargeneral

Apr 14, 2018
Mr. Birnbaum and Mr. Fremer,

Nailed it considering the constraints.

The "Gloria" on Argo is superb.

If any of you like TTNG,I could possibly muster two records to lie for?

Kindest regards,glad Tao is still well,G.

Reactions: the sound of Tao

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Mr. Birnbaum and Mr. Fremer,

Nailed it considering the constraints.

The "Gloria" on Argo is superb.

If any of you like TTNG,I could possibly muster two records to lie for?

Kindest regards,glad Tao is still well,G.
Thank you G, yes, and we had rain yesterday with even a bit more predicted to come. It’s the simple things that bring life and joy at home.
Cheers
Tao

Reactions: zerostargeneral

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing