Recommendation for $7,000 System

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
A friend of mine inherited 2,000 CDs. He also has a turntable, and he wants to be able to play records.

He and his wife enjoy opera, but they also enjoy a wide variety of other music, including chamber music.

He is looking to purchase a stereo for not more than a total of $7,000. The stereo should not take up an entire room, but it does not have to be inconspicuous either.

Please make full system suggestions.

Thank you!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
LS3 5a - ask @zerostargeneral how to set them up best at that price. He and Gian would both recommend that. I don't know them well so I would go vintage tannoy gold with Luxman 509 integrated. Best for vocals they sound like apogee vocals so opera will be great.

Reactions: jespera

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
May we know how big is the room?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I should’ve specified that he is hoping for floor-standers of some kind.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

jespera

Jan 12, 2018
London
LS3 5a - ask @zerostargeneral how to set them up best at that price. He and Gian would both recommend that. I don't know them well so I would go vintage tannoy gold with Luxman 509 integrated. Best for vocals they sound like apogee vocals so opera will be great.

Id second that. The 3lz is a cracking speaker.
Reputation for being a bit bass light.
But if you place then like this (they seem to be designed for sitting on a mixer board) you get bass that kicks.

Some of the vintage luxman integrated from the 70s have a great reputation with tannoys. And can be had for very reasonable money.

Cd player with tda1541 chip.

For new stuff: a pair of zu’s and a valve amp from cayin.

Jesper

Attachments

• B21DD652-64FB-45A2-86D8-0EE7F74CD2DB.jpeg
    B21DD652-64FB-45A2-86D8-0EE7F74CD2DB.jpeg
    23.3 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Option 1:

PAP Trio 15TB $4500 (huge bang for buck, just come 3' off the wall)

First Watt F7 Clone (like a baby XA25) $900

Schiit Saga+ tube preamp $400

Ray Samuels F117 Nighthawk phono $700

Oppo BDP-103 $450

Cables from Redco using Mogami mic cable (the non-quad stuff) $150ish

Blue Jeans speaker cables $?

Save up for a separate DAC later. Then buy a Soekris dac1541 R2R. $1200

-------

REMOVED option 2 as I didn't notice the play records requirement at first glance.

Last edited:

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Please don't torture people that like classical and opera with a wimpy inefficient bookshelf... That's my opinion.

Do this:

Pi Audio 6 Pi Speakers: ($3500~ shipped I think)
These will have thrilling dynamics and good non-horn sounding vocals. They'll be alive, and squash little speakers. The only condition is they must be corners. But that's the good news, floor standing AND out of the way. They easily reach into the 30hz.
I would do this config:
Wood: Their choice
Finish: Their choice
Compression driver: B&C DE250
Woofer: B&C 12PLB100 (unless the Pi guy says it lowers efficiency, I would keep it 100db+)
Inductors: 15 gauge
Capacitors: Standard
Resistors: Mills
(A review from someone who made their own at the bottom of the post)

Speaker wire Belden 9497: ($100? Maybe way less) There's no reason to terminate this wire, it's simple, easy, and they can order extra to trim to fit. It's out of the way. It sounds great, too.

Interconnects Belden 8402: ($60 x 2)Sound great, very inexpensive.

Options on Preamps/Amp/DAC:

This is where things are a little more complicated, I'll give a couple ideas.

Mapleshade modified Scott integrated tube amp: ($1800 shipped) The general actually pointed this out as a candidate for how someone could get into good sound without spending silly amounts of money. It has a built in phono & volume. Then get a BorderPatrol DAC SPDIF only SEi ($1350). This leaves $200 left over to get any disc player with PCM output. For example this Sony would be fine, the quality of the player won't matter, and if they want one that screws up the sound the budget doesn't allow for that.

Alternative to the Scott would be a Decware Zen Triode (integrated: $1800) configured with stepped attenuator, two pair input. BorderPatrol DAC SPDIF S ($995) and iFi Phono 2 ($549). And any disc player such as that Sony. The total is a couple more dollars than $7000.

If they would prefer non-tube I can come up with some ideas but I think they'll be slightly less enthralled. I wouldn't change the speakers if there's no issue with corner speakers.

Reactions: Duke LeJeune

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
was the above wimpy inefficient bookshelf comment made on General's recommendation of LS3 5a? I guess he doesn't understand chamber and opera. We will listen to your Bloch on your recommendations

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
A friend of mine inherited 2,000 CDs. He also has a turntable, and he wants to be able to play records.

He and his wife enjoy opera, but they also enjoy a wide variety of other music, including chamber music.

He is looking to purchase a stereo for not more than a total of $7,000. The stereo should not take up an entire room, but it does not have to be inconspicuous either.

Please make full system suggestions.

Thank you!
If they were my friends I'd steer towards a lifestyle brand like Denon and get them a plug & play solution. For speakers both JBL & Polk very good ones that still sound good with suboptimal placing. Let them enjoy their music without the punishment of high end.

david

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
was the above wimpy inefficient bookshelf comment made on General's recommendation of LS3 5a? I guess he doesn't understand chamber and opera. We will listen to your Bloch on your recommendations

I don't care if he recommends them, I don't like the sound on speakers with such limited headroom with the genres. If you want to make opera intimate by all means do that, just not what I would do. I have no idea what your last sentence means.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I don't care if he recommends them, I don't like the sound on speakers with such limited headroom with the genres. If you want to make opera intimate by all means do that, just not what I would do. I have no idea what your last sentence means.

How do you know what it sounds to call it wimpy?

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
If they were my friends I'd steer towards a lifestyle brand like Denon and get them a plug & play solution. For speakers both JBL & Polk very good ones that still sound good with suboptimal placing. Let them enjoy their music without the punishment of high end.

david

I thought about this, too. But if you're willing to spend $7000 I just don't see it as a venture into highly limited reproduction.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
How do you know what it sounds to call it wimpy?

:rolleyes: You think we need to have a discussion about one of the most known speakers on planet earth? They're nice speakers but they can't ramp up, they just don't. They are recommended to only 50w max typically, and start around 81-83db sensitivity, and have crossovers. I think opera and classical is just simply better when you can really swing volume. If someone is into jazz, rock, easy listening, I would never contest the recommendation.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
:rolleyes: You think we need to have a discussion about one of the most known speakers on planet earth? They're nice speakers but they can't ramp up, they just don't. They are recommended to only 50w max typically, and start around 81-83db sensitivity, and have crossovers. I think opera and classical is just simply better when you can really swing volume. If someone is into jazz, rock, easy listening, I would never contest the recommendation.

Yes, but I would respect the opinion of someone who has the best classical music collection and knowledge I know off and listens to 120 db speakers and recommends these

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
I don't like them for jazz either. It's funny there are recommendations for 5" woofers and 15" woofers in the same $7000 system thread. 20*15*8 ft^3 is too much volume for low efficiency bookshelves IMO.

The PAPs are so much speaker for the $.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I don't like them for jazz either. It's funny there are recommendations for 5" woofers and 15" woofers in the same $7000 system thread. 20*15*8 ft^3 is too much volume for low efficiency bookshelves IMO.

The PAPs are so much speaker for the $.

To each their own on speakers I guess (for the LS3/5A)

PAP is neat but to me seems too intrusive for "not taking over the whole room". That's why I went towards corner speakers.

Last edited:

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Depends on the room. I've seen some unobtrusive executions. I'm not suggesting these rooms are optimized for sound, just that it can be done.

http://www.pureaudioproject.com/wp-...-Open-Baffle-Speakers-by-PureAudioProject.jpg

http://www.pureaudioproject.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/IMG_1741.jpg

Reactions: christoph

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Yes, but I would respect the opinion of someone who has the best classical music collection and knowledge I know off and listens to 120 db speakers and recommends these

NFG. I can have my own preferences anytime I please. You seem to think I don't weight opinions or something? I do. BUT I ALSO DO NOT LIKE LOW SENSITIVITY LOW OUTPUT BOOKSHELVES FOR CLASSICAL AND OPERA.

Reactions: RogerD and bazelio

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing