Recommendation for 6l6

retired farmer

Oct 18, 2022
I am looking for a quad of 6l6 power tubes for my line magnetic 124a monoblocks. What would you recommend? I have a set of sohpia electric 274b rectifier tubes ot it that I like. The amps call for either a 6l6 or 350b tube s . I bought a quad of tad 6l6 tubes for it the beauty is all gone.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
I am looking for a quad of 6l6 power tubes for my line magnetic 124a monoblocks. What would you recommend? I have a set of sohpia electric 274b rectifier tubes ot it that I like. The amps call for either a 6l6 or 350b tube s . I bought a quad of tad 6l6 tubes for it the beauty is all gone.
I don't have that much experience with 6L6 tubes, but I want to give you a few general pointers.

I usually buy at big, well-known dealers. They might be more expensive, but they give you a warranty. It is super important with NOS tubes.
I would start with a few sets of inexpensive new production tubes to see which sound signature fits your system the most, before you pull the trigger on expensive NOS tubes.

Reactions: retired farmer

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
If I were buying 6L6s new, I would start with JJ. Matched quads are readily available.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
If your amplifier can handle an extra 5 watts plate dissipation :

Or even better if you can run to them :

Last edited:

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
If your amplifier can handle an extra 5 wats plate dissipation :

Or even better if you can run to them :

Best to consult the manufacturer about that.

retired farmer

Oct 18, 2022
I order two quads of these the other day on there black Friday pricing. They were extra cheap and the little write up I saw was quite good. Now to find out if they will exchange in my amp apparently they do another of times but not always.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
I order two quads of these the other day on there black Friday pricing. They were extra cheap and the little write up I saw was quite good. Now to find out if they will exchange in my amp apparently they do another of times but not always.
Nice catch! Let us know when they come to you. I'm very curious about their sound.

retired farmer

Oct 18, 2022
Nice catch! Let us know when they come to you. I'm very curious about their sound.
I got the two quads of tubes today. Anyhow right off the get go I like them. They seem quick and articulate. Tone seems good and they are more musical than the tads are. Likely better around but so far seem good and they were very cheap. I will let them break in for a week and if I still.like them I will buy a few more quads to stick in a drawer. Cheap enough it might be worth a try for anyone interested. One other thing they are much shorter than the 6l6 tubes I have. Personally I like them in my line magnetic monoblocks much better than the tads I bought.

Regards Tom

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Thanks
I got the two quads of tubes today. Anyhow right off the get go I like them. They seem quick and articulate. Tone seems good and they are more musical than the tads are. Likely better around but so far seem good and they were very cheap. I will let them break in for a week and if I still.like them I will buy a few more quads to stick in a drawer. Cheap enough it might be worth a try for anyone interested. One other thing they are much shorter than the 6l6 tubes I have. Personally I like them in my line magnetic monoblocks much better than the tads I bought.

Regards Tom
Great to hear that you like them :) Cheap and good is my favourite combo. Do the shorter glass fit the looks of your LM monos?

retired farmer

Oct 18, 2022
Thanks

Great to hear that you like them :) Cheap and good is my favourite combo. Do the shorter glass fit the looks of your LM monos?
Here are a few pictures of the Russian tube that viva tubes said worked most times. As you can see in the first picture does that look OK
Seems to be brighter than any other tube I have. Played them about three hours now. The first few hours are really quite fun to hear the new tubes break in and sound better as time passes .fourth picture is the Russian number. Third picture is a size comparison to the tad 6l6 I had in there before

Attachments

• 20221215_090554.jpg
    20221215_090554.jpg
    568.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 20221215_091732.jpg
    20221215_091732.jpg
    290.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 20221215_091805.jpg
    20221215_091805.jpg
    573.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 20221215_091709.jpg
    20221215_091709.jpg
    634.6 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: AMR / iFi audio

facten

Feb 13, 2022
Tennessee
I didn't see your original post back in November. I have a Line Magnetic 518IA integrated amp and use NOS GE 6l6GC tubes in it, enjoy the sound with those. I have a pair of RCA 6l6GCs and also NOS RCA 1614s to try when the GE's need replacement.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing