Reality is Cruel : Cybershaft new Ultimate OCXO 10M Clocks Shootout OP20 vs OP17

justubes

Aug 10, 2015
Please reder to Post #70 shows the Ref10's phase noise at 1000hz.

So it is the particular oem OCXO chosen by Mutec that test nothing short of excellent!

masaccio

Dec 4, 2019
Hi, Could you somebody share the Mutec ref10 120SE's price range (failed to find the information in their website)? Wondering which way (Mutec SE or Cyber's 21) should I go....
Masaccio

Reactions: XCop5089

XCop5089

Sep 5, 2015
Winchester, UK
I bought a Mutec Ref10 in August, via my UK dealer, Coherent Systems. I can't seem to get Mutec to respond to my email enquiries about the cost of upgrade to the 'SE' version (submitted via their online enquiry section of their website)!

justubes

Aug 10, 2015
Currently, there has been no official release.

The supply/yield is extremely low and limited, literally one handfull per month.

It will depend much on OCXO manufacturer being able to commit a certain production yield sufficient to meet the demands of an official release.

I understand currently, only the Hong Kong agent and maybe 1 other local agent in Germany has requested for this specification.

There seems to be much interest currently, but please be patient for replies as Mutec will need to have confirmed availability before they can advise or reply on the availability so It may be best to work out an order through your dealer to be in line patiently for a special unit.

Knowing that the upgrade process may not be available readily, since it is logistically difficult and time consuming and costly to perform such upgrades

The more i understand how special this version is with such an incredibly low phase noise curve from 1hz to 1000hz, looks to be unmatched even by "any" other OCXO manufacturer currently, regardless of cost.

I am very excited and hope that Mutec will be able to offer these in larger quantities soonest and as part of their standard lineup.

This is truly a breakthrough in 10mhz masterclocking product frombyhe specifications not only in the consumer market, but also exceeds the must touted Oscilloquart BVA ocxo used in the Sforzato PMC010 EX clock.

To me, it surely looks to be the best available at the moment and at a much lower price than what was ever previously available .

Reactions: vhs and XCop5089

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Reactions: vhs and Taiko Audio

justubes

Aug 10, 2015
More test results for comparision of this exceptional graph.

Of most interest showing the subsequent phase noise curve after 1hz, the also critical region of 10hz, 100hz and 1000hz thereafter.

Never seen such a curve of any OCXO before!

Simply mindblowing for the price!

The process of manufacturing is being lioked into to better crystals and manufacturing to possibly improve the yield of more -120db or better!

Please note even if there are -122db or better may be possibly, though extremely rare and manufacturers will deservely being asking for a much higher price for such.

I was correct in guessing some better OCXOs even for the standard Ref10 units were manufactured with up to -118db/hz specimens to fulfill Mutecs orders!

Bravo, there are some lucky random users of the Ref10.
Screenshot_2019-12-07-12-34-33-333_com.miui.gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: vhs

XCop5089

Sep 5, 2015
Winchester, UK
Justubes

What is the price please?

justubes

Aug 10, 2015
It is more competitive from what i can say, unless there are any changes upon official release.

Futhermore, i am not an E.U resident so shipping and import/export taxes needs to be factored in which i am not familiar with.

Please factor in top notch cabling at this level.

Reactions: kennyb123

vhs

Dec 12, 2019
Hi everyone, I am one of the lucky owners of this spectacular Mutec Ref10 SE-120.

The Mutec absolutely takes the already exceptional dCS Vivaldi Clock to a whole new level ! Mutec 120-3.jpg

Marck1973

Aug 11, 2017
Hi everyone, I am one of the lucky owners of this spectacular Mutec Ref10 SE-120.

The Mutec absolutely takes the already exceptional dCS Vivaldi Clock to a whole new level ! View attachment 59770
Hi,
I have posted in the Vivaldi post about adding an external clock to my Vivaldi system. Was wondering benefits and if worth doing. Also what best one is.
May I ask where you purchased since also in the UK.
Thanks
Marc.

vhs

Dec 12, 2019
Hi,
I have posted in the Vivaldi post about adding an external clock to my Vivaldi system. Was wondering benefits and if worth doing. Also what best one is.
May I ask where you purchased since also in the UK.
Thanks
Marc.

Hi Marc,

Addition of Mutec SE-120 to dCS Vivaldi system substantially improves the SQ in the aspects of resolution, sound stage, and textures. It is worth every penny.

It is from a Mutec's authorized distributor in Hong Kong.

Vincent

Reactions: Taiko Audio

justubes

Aug 10, 2015
Marck, your UK dealer should be able to get it upon the official release, i was updated by Mutec that they have been working very hard on the Ref10 and with the OCXO manufacturer to improve and increase the number of -120db units that can be produced., otherwise stock are very limited worldwide currently.

It looks to be promising currently for an official lauch of the SE120 in the 1st quarter of 2020.

As the availability of SE120 units run in the single digit currently, dealers which have not ordered will unlikely be able to get a hold of a unit to sell currently.

It may also be possible for urgrades through the dealer networks once sufficient -120db OCXO's are available upon the expected official launch of the SE120.

I believe Mutec will be extremely busy working towards these launches for Munich 2020.

Hong Kong may have some units available, but guess it will be a very hot item if there are even any units left.0 or place orders with them.

Reactions: Marck1973 and vhs

Marck1973

Aug 11, 2017
Marck, your UK dealer should be able to get it upon the official release, i was updated by Mutec that they have been working very hard on the Ref10 and with the OCXO manufacturer to improve and increase the number of -120db units that can be produced., otherwise stock are very limited worldwide currently.

It looks to be promising currently for an official lauch of the SE120 in the 1st quarter of 2020.

As the availability of SE120 units run in the single digit currently, dealers which have not ordered will unlikely be able to get a hold of a unit to sell currently.

It may also be possible for urgrades through the dealer networks once sufficient -120db OCXO's are available upon the expected official launch of the SE120.

I believe Mutec will be extremely busy working towards these launches for Munich 2020.

Hong Kong may have some units available, but guess it will be a very hot item if there are even any units left.0 or place orders with them.
Thank you. I am planning on trying the Mutec in my system in January and depending on results will then place the order .

vhs

Dec 12, 2019
Mutec Ref10 vs Mutec Ref10 SE-120 mutec vs mutec.jpg

vhs

Dec 12, 2019
Hi vhs,

Sorry if I missed it, but can you elaborate on the audible differences between the 2 the way you are using them?

Thanks.

Hi Emile,

Audible differences are very similar to the conclusions written by CKKeung for the battle between OP20 and OP17.

"The effect of OP17 was like cleaning a glass window thoroughly, making it spotless & dustless.
But the effect of OP20 seemed like to have removed the glass window completely. The audiences were then inside the concert venue and the images there seemed to be real/touchable!"

End Quote

I am looking forward to using a full stack dCS Vivaldi system to compare Mutec Ref10 SE-120 to Cybershaft OP21A.

Vincent

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
Did anyone compare the Cybershaft 21 with Mutec Ref 10, 120se ?
For someone purchesing in early 2020 an 10 mhz clock with 75 ohm exits for the network swiches
what will be the best ?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing