Raven Audio

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Not too long ago, I started a thread called "Why Tube Amps Sound Better Than SS Amps." The reason I wrote that thread was because after over 2 years of listening to a SS amp, I had a pair of monoblock tube amps in for review and I was thrilled with what I heard. These amps reminded me of why I always loved the sound of tube amps. I actually reviewed a preamp and the pair of monoblock amps from Raven Audio. Here is the link:

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue72/raven_audio.htm

I know there are some people on this forum who enjoy listening to and purchasing gear that is a little off the beaten path and not another "me too" product that represents a variation on a theme and that is why I'm posting the link. Raven Audio is a new company with new products that are different from many of the tube products currently available in the marketplace. I'm not posting this link in hopes that you will read it and shower me with praise-trust me. I realize that I'm a rookie with much to learn. I can only hope that through time and experience I will evolve in my reviewing and writing skills. If you want to take this opportunity to take pot shots at me, by all means knock yourself out. Honest criticism is always welcome because you can learn from that. I just want to let people know that Raven Audio exists and they have some interesting tube gear that sounds quite good.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Mark,

I thought the review was very well-written. It did not appear that you were "inexperienced" as a writer. Since you obviously don't do measurements, the comments provided a glimpse of the units' performance and the difference between new/old stock tubes.

Look forward to the next one.

Lee

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Only thing that is missing is some direct comparison to other well known equipment. Hard to do if you have not reviewed a bunch of stuff yet though.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
The review was very well written, and the Raven stuff look like beauts. A 47 pound preamp? Must be quite a beast.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Thumbs up Mark. Very well written.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Guys-Thanks for all of the kind words-I do appreciate it. And Sean, you were correct in your statement that I have not reviewed "a bunch of stuff yet" which is why I couldn't make a direct comparison to other tube gear that is currently in the marketplace. The most recent tube amp I owned was the ARC VS115 which was over two years ago and has now been superseded by a new model. Ditto for the ARC LS17 I owned.

DSkip

Industry Expert
Aug 26, 2013
Arlington, TX
www.audiothesis.com
Raven makes some nice gear. Last year at Lone Star Audio Fest I started talking with the owner and got to have a private session with their setup at the show late in the night. I can't remember the full setup now, but I do know his amps were pushing some GR Research LS9's, and the sound was most excellent. I used his entry level integrated amp, a little 22 WPC unit, to push my Usher 6311's that year and almost walked away a Raven owner. Their stuff sounds as good as it looks, and that's saying something.

The reason their pieces are so heavy is because they overbuild the aluminum chassis. They also track down bulk NOS tubes to pair with their amps in most cases.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Raven makes some nice gear. Last year at Lone Star Audio Fest I started talking with the owner and got to have a private session with their setup at the show late in the night. I can't remember the full setup now, but I do know his amps were pushing some GR Research LS9's, and the sound was most excellent. I used his entry level integrated amp, a little 22 WPC unit, to push my Usher 6311's that year and almost walked away a Raven owner. Their stuff sounds as good as it looks, and that's saying something.

The reason their pieces are so heavy is because they overbuild the aluminum chassis. They also track down bulk NOS tubes to pair with their amps in most cases.

Each chassis is machined from a piece of billet aluminum. The reason why it looks good is of course the design, but the design is paired with some top-notch machining.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Nice to read your enjoyable and informative review Mark. Although I would have liked to have some observations made with digital sources - after all some of us (including me :) ) listen most of the time to 16/44.1 .

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Nice to read your enjoyable and informative review Mark. Although I would have liked to have some observations made with digital sources - after all some of us (including me :) ) listen most of the time to 16/44.1 .

I did throw in some digital sources Francisco, it was the Ella and Louis Armstrong album!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I did throw in some digital sources Francisco, it was the Ella and Louis Armstrong album!

Great album, but a recording made before I was born! ;)

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Great album, but a recording made before I was born! ;)

I was all of one year old when this album was released, but it doesn't matter to me how old it is. Oscar Peterson, Buddy Rich, Herb Ellis, and Ray Brown are the band with Ella and Ray singing. Are you kidding me? That is great music no matter how old it is. Sonny Rollins Way Out West came out when I was two. That doesn't matter to me either. I only care about the music, not how old it is.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I was all of one year old when this album was released, but it doesn't matter to me how old it is. Oscar Peterson, Buddy Rich, Herb Ellis, and Ray Brown are the band with Ella and Ray singing. Are you kidding me? That is great music no matter how old it is. Sonny Rollins Way Out West came out when I was two. That doesn't matter to me either. I only care about the music, not how old it is.

Yes, it is great music and you listed great recordings. My only point was that it is not representative of modern digital recordings.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Do they sell factory direct (only)?

Hyperion-Hopefully the owner (Dave Thomson) can join us here and give you the best answer to the question.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Yes, it is great music and you listed great recordings. My only point was that it is not representative of modern digital recordings.

Is that a good thing or a bad thing? :D The recording quality of Ella and Louis is outstanding IMHO.

Ravendave

Industry Expert
Mar 30, 2014
Chita, Texas
Looking forward to seeing you at LSAF again too Skip. It was great fun. You are welcome to any amp I have. I have an upgraded Nighthawk for you to play with also. Tokyo Ko-on resistors installed now. Makes a very large difference in the dynamics and depth. Cheers!

Last edited:

Ravendave

Industry Expert
Mar 30, 2014
Chita, Texas
Hello All,

Currently we sell factory direct to the domestic (US) market via our website. Most of the time when someone is interested in a full system I will personally drive to them. I actually love to drive around the country. Since our "Elite Series" amplifiers are so heavy (40 to 75 pounds each piece) they are not always treated to a gentle ride, which makes a personal delivery an easier consideration depending on the distance and my schedule.

In the future we absolutely plan to have someone handle the overseas duties so they can help potential customers on a more personal level. Since my wife is from Sweden/Germany and grew up over there, she has family in both countries but mostly Sweden.

Thanks for the inquiry!
Sincerely,
Dave Thomson
Raven Audio

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing